• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Oxygen Not Included] Don't Suffocate

Norrec

Validated User
I picked this up over the weekend when I saw it had officially released. I'm having a blast! It's like Rimworld but it feels like there is much more to do and play with. My biggest accomplishments so far:

1) Discovering that Carbon Dioxide is heavy. I learned this when I saw the bottom of my base was a toxic wasteland. Now I dig a big pit lower than my lowest building and call it the CO2 Pit.

2) One benefit of that first folly was noticing a Ration Box submerged in CO2 gets the "Sterile Atmosphere" trait. This gets rid of the warning at the top left about food spoilage. Now I have a 6x6 cellar near the food prep area that collected CO2 and keeps the food fresh. Mmm, tastes like exhaust!

3) Having finished my base I'm now working on bigger projects. I successfully moved one pool of water into my main water tank. Hurrah!

Now I'm working on turning polluted water into clean water. I built a row of Algae Terrariums in the CO2 pit to try and clean it up a little. It was working but those things seems to churn through fresh water like crazy. My septic tank (polluted water ditch) is overflowing and I need to get some sort of filtration going. I successfully relocated the pee water to a holding area and tonight will attempt to filter it. Meanwhile, it hasn't been a problem yet for me but I've seen a lot online that Temperature is the silent killer. I want to send some miners out to look for a cold biome (I saw it in one of my games) and see if liquid cooling works in this like it would for a desktop PC. Pipe the water into the cold biome, then run it in a loop around the base. It might not work but it'll be fun to set-up.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Temperature is definitely a killer, though it's possible that the release version made it less so: it used to be that the water filter always produced water at 30 degrees, which was a huge source of unwanted heat in the relatively early game, especially if you weren't careful.

Liquid cooling definitely works, though note you probably need insulated pipes to carry the cold past intervening hot zones. Be careful if you use water, though: freezing your coolant lines also works. Using polluted water may be safer, it has a lower freezing point.

Warning about water filtering: food poisoning germs don't grow in clean water, but they don't really die off quickly either. Filtered swamp water and algae runoff is perfectly safe (though it may be hot) but dumping filtered lavatory output into the reservoir will probably kill you by germing up all your food production. (There are ways you could solve that problem, but you're probably not ready to deploy them fast enough.)

Algae terrariums have always been a sadly weak air system. Once you've got water filtration, you can efficiently destroy unwanted CO2 using a carbon skimmer/water filter loop.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
Good news - using germ-laden water in Hydroponic Tiles DOESN'T seem to give food-poisoning to the plants, unlike manually watering them.

Other than that, germ-water is best used in a plumbing loop (taking a shower or washing hands with germy water does not cause germs on the dupes, weirdly enough), and feed the excess to an electrolyzer for oxygen and hydrogen. (There's plans online for a simple setup that will power itself with the hydrogen produced once it's running, but you need automation stuff to make it work perfectly.)

If you have access to a chlorine biome, a reservoir (the tank building, not just a pool) of water in chlorine gas will have all its germs die in one cycle.

I dug into a salt biome, and found out that salt rock is ridiculous. Pulverizing 100 kg of it gets me 5 GRAMS of table salt. (And 100kg of sand.)

Mike000

Validated User
Algae terrariums have always been a sadly weak air system. Once you've got water filtration, you can efficiently destroy unwanted CO2 using a carbon skimmer/water filter loop.
There's currently a bug where they stop destroying CO2 when they get resupplied, until you reboot the game.

They do not however, destroy much water at all. Almost all of it becomes polluted water, which, once they've been going for a while, give off a decent amount of polluted oxygen, which can be deodorized for dupe use, or eaten by pufts to make slime to feed your mushroom farm. Much more efficient early-mid game than the electrolyzer. (Less thermodynamics-violating, too.)

Still, slicksters are actually the best way of getting rid of CO2. They turn it into oil or petroleum.

The old sieves actually output at 40C - enough to stop most plant growth. So, I'm perfectly OK with the removal of most of the heat deletion systems.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
They don't look too farmable, but the saltwater lettuce plants have a really high temperature tolerance for food crops.
There's currently a bug where they stop destroying CO2 when they get resupplied, until you reboot the game.
...Okay, but working as intended they still don't do a lot. They have never, as best I can tell, done a lot. Especially they do not destroy much CO2
They do not however, destroy much water at all. Almost all of it becomes polluted water, which, once they've been going for a while, give off a decent amount of polluted oxygen, which can be deodorized for dupe use, or eaten by pufts to make slime to feed your mushroom farm. Much more efficient early-mid game than the electrolyzer. (Less thermodynamics-violating, too.)
Er, more efficient in terms of water, if you're recycling the polluted water? Sure. Rather costly in duplicant labor though, and require you to keep supplying algae. And of course in previous versions recycling the polluted water wasn't much of an option thanks to the hot sieve water issue.

Although if the wiki's right about electrolyzer output temperature, well, that's a definite point for air-farming now that the sieve issue is gone.
Still, slicksters are actually the best way of getting rid of CO2. They turn it into oil or petroleum.
Obviously, but those are vastly less accessible.

Dumping it into space is also better than skimming it unless you actually want to manufacture polluted water for some reason.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
On my current run, I actually got a few Slickster eggs early on - I put them in a deep hole I dug into a neighboring chlorine biome's rocks. The heat's keeping them alive, and they're snorking up the CO2 from the coal generators I put nearby fairly well. I'm not getting enough oil to do anything with, but the air's cleaner.

(On CO2)
Dumping it into space is also better than skimming it unless you actually want to manufacture polluted water for some reason.
As far as I can tell CO2 skimmers don't generate any additional polluted water, so making a loop with a skimmer and a water sieve is an effective way to delete your base's CO2 buildup.

Mike000

Validated User
Er, more efficient in terms of water, if you're recycling the polluted water? Sure. Rather costly in duplicant labor though, and require you to keep supplying algae. And of course in previous versions recycling the polluted water wasn't much of an option thanks to the hot sieve water issue.
The only real labor is the occasional supply of algae (which can be done with a sweeper) and a very quick cleaning (which can't). Watering them is really a non-issue, since you can just stick them in a puddle or a drip of clean water and they're fine.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
As far as I can tell CO2 skimmers don't generate any additional polluted water, so making a loop with a skimmer and a water sieve is an effective way to delete your base's CO2 buildup.
Additional polluted water would be a positive! But they don't generate any less either. The downside of the loop as opposed to dumping is that it eats up some sand, generates heat, and probably costs more power. (The up side of course is that you don't have to have constructed a vent pipe to space to do it. That's a pretty big up side.)
The only real labor is the occasional supply of algae (which can be done with a sweeper) and a very quick cleaning (which can't). Watering them is really a non-issue, since you can just stick them in a puddle or a drip of clean water and they're fine.
...That's the kind of feature that would be much more useful if it was in some way documented.

("Can be automated with a sweeper" is coming from a perspective of deploying tech I've never had in the game to date.)

Norrec

Validated User
I've done it! My mad scientist network of pipes and pumps has successfully created a polluted water pool with pumps going into a chlorine filled room with two water reservoirs (the buildings). The germs are going down and then I've got a setup ready to go that will send it into my clean water pool under the kitchen. Setting up the chlorine room lost all of it's chlorine though despite the two airlocks. So I had to setup a pump to remove carbon dioxide from it while also setting up a pump to pull the chlorine from two other pockets into my room (while also filtering out carbon dioxide, because that stuff gets everywhere down low). It's all controllable by switches so I locked the airlocks to hold in the valuable gasses. I have 11 idle dupes so I didn't want to just stare at it in wonder until I set them on the next project... but I did it!

The switches really helped because I'm taxing my coal generator connected to four batteries. Once the chlorine is all pumped into the water cleaning facility I can remove the extra gas pumps to save power.

The basement is really turning into a mess of cables, pipes, and vents. Luckily once it's all up and running the dupes won't really need to go down there except to flip a switch when they want clean water. I sent out some explorers while this was building and found some nearby ice. Next up - water cooling! And I need to build a metal refinery, and better power infrastructure, and a hospital. I want to get medicine ready for when I go into the swamp. All that polluted water is just waiting to go into my new water system but I'm afraid of the Slime Lung germs.

Lesson learned - build the pumps and pipes first then breach the wall to flood the pump area. That should prevent what happened to me where all the chlorine leaked out.

Last edited:

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
Nice work!

Slimelung got seriously nerfed in the final version - it used to be fatal if untreated, now it's just a few cycles of coughing. As long as you have a decent oxygen supply, it shouldn't be too bad. I recommend setting deodorizers every 5-6 squares throughout the swamp biome. (And if you store slime in a submerged storage unit, it won't create more polluted oxygen.)

For airlocks, creating a ditch filled with water works better at avoiding air leakage than the actual airlock doors without a lot of extra gadgetry. Go figure.

If the ice biome has a lot of sleet-wheat plants, I recommend leaving it alone - sleet wheat is good stuff.

Top Bottom