• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Pandemonium Games and the strange death of WEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wart

Validated User
So, recently there was a thread right here on RPG.net about a disturbing lack of refund cheques following the Septimus preorder debacle. People start wondering whether they should be contacting their credit card companies. Precisely zero people post to say "it's fine! I got my refund and it's all cool". Someone posts on the WEG forums to alert Eric Gibson about it but little comes of it. It transpires that, as far as anyone can establish, Eric hasn't even shipped products to people who requested refunds in that form instead of cash - nobody appears to have received anything, in fact, and Eric is apparently working a full-time job in order to earn money to get started on sending out the refunds.

And so I click through on the WEG site to look at their products and, feeling curious, decide to try to buy a print copy of something - I wasn't actually going to buy a product, but I was wondering whether they were still even taking orders for things - and I got an error message which got me through to this domain. Note how the "Pandemonium Games" logo includes element from various bits of D6 rulebook cover art. (EDIT TO ADD: Heck, look at how the favicon for Pandemonium is identical to the one for the West End Games domain.)

Is this the end for the WEG name? Does anyone know who this "Pandemonium Games" outfit are and what their connection with WEG is?

Last edited:

DJorgensen

Banned
All I know is, given the current state of WEG, I hope Eric Gibson has the good sense to never, ever come around here and tell me I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to publishing.

Macross

Retired User
Can you believe it? That Septimus has been cancelled for 3 and half months already & there has been no refunds or exchange of products?

Word of advice if you ever want to get your money back contact your credit card company. As they told me these things can be time sensitive.

DJorgensen

Banned
Did he do that to you, too?
He's done it to quite a few people, most of whom have been involved in RPG publication far longer and far more successfully than he has been.

I believe the highlight of his inexperience was when he claimed printing a book through Lulu somehow magically transferred to Lulu your copyright to that book.

Either that or his failure to accept that overhead resulting from prolonged storage of overstock of underperforming titles adjusts the final per unit production cost for those titles. Keeping track of that is a publishing industry standard for determining when its time to liquidate the undersellers.

Or maybe it was his favorite insult of telling some publishers that they "write tripe using other people's systems" when he himself was doing the very same thing- utilizing a core game system he didn't write...

Wart

Validated User
Or maybe it was his favorite insult of telling some publishers that they "write tripe using other people's systems" when he himself was doing the very same thing- utilizing a core game system he didn't write...
To be fair to Eric, if you read the long post he made about WEG's financial situation on their forums (linked in my OP) it does genuinely seem to be a sore point with him that nothing he's put out is uniquely "his".

g026r

I'm a boat
Validated User
Either that or his failure to accept that overhead resulting from prolonged storage of overstock of underperforming titles adjusts the final per unit production cost for those titles. Keeping track of that is a publishing industry standard for determining when its time to liquidate the undersellers.
That sounds familiar... Didn't TSR also have the same problem back when WotC bought them out? I seem to remember an essay about going through the warehouses and finding stuff from the mid-80s still inventoried at what cover price would have been when new. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom