• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Pathfinder: Bound for the Monkey Islands

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
Old Captain Pirateson climbs, painfully slowly, to the tiny crows nest. The sea-elf lookout points at the ship that is chasing them. But even half-blind Pirateson can see the vessel it is so close.

He calls out to the dozen or so sailors on the sloop. "We won't make it to Cove Secret," he announces. "When Jegson the Cruel catches us he'll kill us all slow. Throw our limbs to the sharks before chucking what's left of us after... no way our sloop can deal with the Hammerhead."

"You lizardfolk are safe. They won't touch a scale on you in case they forfeit their ransom. You sea-elves can piss off and swim. As for myself, and the mate Sawfish here, we've got the mark. Our souls are safe in the Bottle Repository, back at the City."

"But you five. Gran, Sable, Tide, Fergis, Harle. Shift yourself into the rower and push off now. With any luck they'll go after you and we'll get away."

But the crew know that the old man is sacrificing himself. The pursuers will follow the little boat if they spy him aboard. And they have sea-elf lookouts, too.

As the tiny vessel is lowered, the crew hastily throw on barrels and bales. Pirateson heaves the ship's treasure chest onto the rowboat like it is a box of sea-biscuits.

"Go onto Spice Nation as fast as you can-this boat leaks like my bladder. If you survive and get to Cove Secret, buy a ship. Call it...I dunno, call it My Arse if you like."

Suddenly the boat is away, tossing on the swell with the Spice Nation coast a thin line on the distant horizon.

But it is leaking badly. And the waves here are high, with a strong wind that whips foam from the swell tops.

OOC: Whether your strategy is to row, bail or do both, it will take a good bit of arm-power to make landfall. I'll treat this as an ordeal you have to resist with a Fort Save DC15. If everyone fails (unlikely!) the boat disappears in the waves. If two or three fail the progress will be slow and you'll have to throw off some of the gear to make it.

Describe any action you perform (please roll a dice if you want a real impact*) that might help you reach the distant shore or even just keep spirits up (or down...).

*This is the main principle of PbP play that I'd like to stick to. Please don't always wait for the GM to call for particular rolls-you can propose something and make a suitable roll. I can always ignore it (or apply a different bonus for another skill) if it doesn't fit. Also, please start your post with your character name in bold or CAPS (when later we are in combat also please add your AC and hps).
 
Last edited:

Mr The Geoff

Social Justice Worrier
Validated User
Tidesage Cloudbreeze takes one look at the burly humans, tiefling and tusk in the boat with her, ignores the oars and reaches for a bucket. "I'll keep us from taking a trip to the bottom, shipmates. You strong fellers start rowing". She searches her mind for knowledge of this section of coast, trying to think of where the surf line is calmest, and the ship-dashing rocks and sucking rip tides fewest, then points a stubby finger at one section of the coastline. "Head that way, this is a ship-breaking shore if every I saw one but there are some safe beaches to be found over there". She's not so sure that any beach is safe to land on in these seas but she'd be damned before she'd show any doubt in front of the others. Not at a time like this when her navigation skills, or maybe Granuaile's, were all that stood between them and disaster.

With that done, she put her head down and set to baling, her keen eyes searching through the water sloshing about the bottom boards of the boat to see where the leaks were coming from. She strongly suspected the boat was missing a great deal of caulk and every plank was seeping but there was still hope of making things less bad. Seeking out the spot with the worst leaks to her eyes, she quickly reached back to touch her staff as a talisman and then began to incant in Aquan. "Oh great God of the Deeps. You will have your fill this day without us. Sate your appetite from those who have made their sacrifice and spare this paltry vessel". With that she places her palm on the leaking join between two timbers she closes her eyes briefly and lets the energy course from her tiny frame into the boat, seeking to slow the leaks to the point that she can keep up with the baling alone.

Then she lets go of her staff, retrieves the bucket and gets back to baling like her life depended on it - which of course it did.

OOC:
DC15 Fort Save = 16
Know Geography Check (finding the best bit of coastline) = 25
Perception Check (looking for where the boat is leaking from) = 16 (with Deepsea Native - Anytime you are looking through water and would take a penalty on vision-based Perception checks due to murkiness or other natural circumstances, reduce the penalty by 2. )
Casting Mending as a cantrip
 
Last edited:

Dalillama

Registered User
Validated User
Granuaile

Granuaile digs among the bales and comes up with some rope. She cuts it into segments with her jackknife, shaving the outsides into a fuzz of fibres. Each frayed segment is doused in oil and rolled back up between her hands. As the Tidesage identifies leaks, she hammers wads of oiled rope into them with the hilt of her dirk. "'T'won't make this tub seaworthy, but it might keep us afloat 'til we're hitting shore."
OOC:
Actual total:14

 
Last edited:

Mitch

Flying high
Validated User
Fergis Delmari

Fergis hunkers down in the boat, as it rolls in the wind and waves. Despite the harrowing conditions, his piercing green eyes and manic grin are clearly visible. Squall, his brightly-colored parrot, is tucked under his cloak, squawking and fidgeting.

“The seas are hungry!”, he cries. “Let’s not feed ‘em just yet!”

He nods at Cloudbreeze’s pronouncement. “She’s got the right of it, me hearties!”, he adds. “Put yer backs into it!” He takes out his tin whistle, and starts to play “Boraevan’s Daughter” a familiar sea shanty. However, he plays it slower, in a minor key, making it sound like a dirge. It sets the rhythm for the bailing and rowing.

OOC: Performance (Sea Shanty): 1d20+11 16
 
Last edited:

CaliberX

Registered User
Validated User
Harle Greenbody

With Granuaile patching holes, Fergis playing his bloody pipe, and Tidesage being unsettling with that watery talk of hers, Harle hunkers down and grabs at a pair of oars. Bracing his legs, he begins struggling to pull the small skiff through the choppy water, spray from the waves dampening his greasy locks. "Cap'n saved us today, gave us more than many'd. If we make it to land I aim to pay him back and get meself a taste of that sea snake Jegson!", he grunts, his tongue pushing against a tusk in strain as he tries to row.

OOC: First time trying the dice roller here; guess that's a 7+4 = 11, so fail. Even electronic dice fail me, lol. Reworded a bit to reflect my poor roll.
 

Dalillama

Registered User
Validated User
Granuaile Stormsailer

Cap'n saved us today, gave us more than many'd. If we make it to land I aim to pay him back and get meself a taste of that sea snake Jegson!
"We'll be needing more blades than our own, and that's a fact. But come the day, we'll take no prize from him, but send him and his poxy scow alike to feed the Deeps! And mark well, I will see every shriveled soul that sails with Jegson this day follow him shrieking to the Outer Dark!!" Her voice rises with every word until she's shrieking her threats louder than the wind. Suddenly she smiles, claps Harle on the shoulder and continues in a normal voice "So row hard, laddie. We've a job of work to do and no mistake."
 

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
OOC:
That's got to be a daily cycle now, so I'll move on from here. No sign of Sable.
I'll give a +5 bonus to the FORT (+1 for Granuaile's roll of 14, +2 for Fergis' 16, +2 for the mend).
I'll make two puppet rolls-one for Sable and one for Fergis (Mitch 's FORT save). I'm ok with puppeting but rule here has to be that the roll results stick- players should please move on rather than attempt a re-roll/retcon.


All the sailors heave mightily at the oars, powering the boat across steep waves. Whatever their relative strengths, Granuaile, Tide, Harle and Sable endure. Fergis collapses almost at the start, cursing a splinter from the oar.

They manage to make the shore with their whole cargo intact. The squall fades as they pass a headland and enter a pleasant bay. A small stand of split-trunked plaintrees offers shade. Inland the terrain is rocky and arid with only a few patches of cactus and raintrees to offer sun-shelter. In the distance the sailors spy a range of low, rocky hills. Tidesage knows this is the 'high desert' famous for the wild plants that yield fiery pods and powerfully narcotic cactus juice.

Tidesage also knows that they have reached the tip of Spice Nation near its northernmost point. They are several days' walk from Cove Secret , the pirates' secret haven, which lies in the crook of a hooked bay on the western coast. The land here is arid and hot. The natives -both human and lizardfolk- vary in their temperament. Many who were once generous and hospitable have become jaded by their interaction with voracious pirate visitors.



Just as they are landing a group of lizardfolk appear from the stand of trees where they have been resting.

They shout , in Lizardfolk and more the more universal Plaza. They bear but do not brandish spears and atlatl.

OOC: These half-dozen lizardfolk are unfriendly. They can be easily coaxed into a fight, or pacified (with more difficulty ) by a gesture or successful diplomacy.
 
Last edited:

Dalillama

Registered User
Validated User
Granuaile Stormsailer

Granuaile waves to the newcomers, keeping her other hand well clear of her belt. In Plaza, she calls to them "Hail and well met! If these are your lands, we meant no trespass, only we were carried here by the recent storm. Come and take meat and drink with us, that our hospitality might repay the hospitality we've take from you all unwitting."

OOC: Diplomacy total 12. The dice don't like me today :p
 

Mr The Geoff

Social Justice Worrier
Validated User
Tidesage Cloudbreeze

After spending the Gods alone know how long up to her knees in water and baling like a woman possessed Illara resembles more a drowned bilge rat than she does a proud, old and wise Tidesage. As the weather clears her soaked robe dries until a high tide mark of dried salt forms a white ring and her hair falls in lank and sweaty streaks. With the hard task done and the boat somehow safely ashore with all hands she feels out of her element both literally and figuratively. Though she would face down a sea serpent without a flinch the prospect of a week's forced march across a desert of fire fills her with doubt and trepidation. There were supplies here sufficient for the journey, and materials enough to fashion some sort of method to carry them, but the further she went from the sea the more unease she would feel, that she knew from experience.

For now though there was the small issue of a bunch of surly natives, all babbling away in their local lingo that she had not spent enough time in these isles to be able to pick up yet. They didn't look friendly but they also didn't really look ready to run everyone through immediately either. Right now the best a drenched little halfling could do in this situation was do her best to look as insignificant and unthreatening as possible. Using techniques perhaps more usually employed to calm an angry wild beast, she holds her palms open and outward, throws her hood back so as not to be hiding her face and just does her level best to look as insignificant as possible

OOC: Diplomacy, though her actions are more reminiscent of wild empathy since she lacks a common language. As much assisting Granuaille's roll with body language as anything else.
Total score:13
 
Last edited:

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
OOC: 12 is ok. And I’ll give a+2 bonus for the offer of food. If someone else does better with diplomacy , I’ll use this result as a successful assist other attempt.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom