IC Pathfinder : Guild Adventurers

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
#1
Deepwood Town Hall

The four Ghostkiller Guildsmen climb the steps of the ostentatious Town Hall. The building was gilded and heightened during the Pirate Conquest to resemble a Pirate palace. After recapturing the town, the Wizards' architects could not bring themselves to undo the splendid renovation. Giant doors open into an impressive pillared court.

An unimpressive halfling clerk is seated at a desk in a corner of this space. He asks the Adventurers to sit down as he checks over their Guild documents.

"Ghostkillers. A dangerous line, even for Guild Adventurers. Hm, quite new I see. But at least you are a complete team. Even a Sparks, good, good. But, I hope you don't take too many risks... "

He outlines the mission. In return for a certificate waiving taxes on any loot taken from the District for the next month, they are to travel to the village of Thirdangel and meet the priest at the local temple. The villagers are pestered by skeletons and ghouls . The priest will ask them to clear the place of the undead threat. A stipulation of the quest is that they agree to lodge at the temple, and keep a good distance from villagers except for essential services.

"If you agree to this task-remember you do not have to, and you can return at any time- sign here. Any reasonable services-simple food and drink, blacksmithing, tailoring, fletching-will be covered by our Town Hall. Anything fancy should come out of your own pocket. "

OOC:
Any questions you want to ask the clerk? The halfling seems a bit hesitant about the team taking on the mission. Halflings are softhearted, so perhaps he is just worried about your newb status.

As always remember to roll when you post (diplomacy, sense motive, bluff, notice, etc.) if you want to achieve something tangible. I can always ignore a roll if it doesn't fit.
 
Last edited:

RedNoseRudolph

The greatest reindeer.
Validated User
#2
Jaer gives the halfling a small, wry smile while he examines the papers. "You worry too much-" he looks at the small plaque with the man's name on the desk, "-Arry. We appreciate it, of course, but you'll go grey soon if you keep it up, eh?"

The name is signed with a flourish, the scripture fancy and flowing, a remnant of his mother's writing lessons. She had always wanted Jaer to remember his ancestry, and Elves like to write 'all fancy-like and stuff'.

"Say," he passes the documents to one of his companions with a distracted movement, his elbows on the desk, "should we be worried about the number of dead people walking? Or maybe the quality? Something we should need to know?"

Jaer's eyes scan Arry's face in a lazy pattern, speaking more of curiosity than calculation. Is this halfling sending them to their death? Is he hiding something from them? Jaer wouldn't care if the mission ends up more exiting than expected --a plus on his books, really-- but mother pounded the need to be suspicious of worried strangers on his rather thick head since he was old enough to talk. Never was too much good at it, though.

Sense Motive: Is Arry hiding something?: 1d20+3 9

OOC: Hope you don't mind if I name the halfling? Also, how do you do the blue box thingy? Looks super neat.
 

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
#3
OOC: Nice start-good standard of story writing to kick off with! I don't mind story amendments like assigning an NPC name at all, far from it...

Thanks for essaying a sense motive roll; 9 not quite enough but along the right lines in terms of play style.

Hard for me to enter the OOC (blue box) code here without it being converted (!) in the output so i'll have to 'fox' the editor by showing the code indirectly:
(OOC) goes at the start, (/OOC) at the end . Like (ooc) Hi Stinky and Mitch! (/ooc)
But -this is how I have foxed the editor here- instead of round parentheses ( and ) use square brackets [ and ] for both tags.

 
Last edited:

Mitch

Flying high
Validated User
#4
Yuck slouches before the table, his great knobby club perched on his shoulder. A few flies buzz around his head, but he appears not to notice.

“Cor!”, he exclaims. “No taxes AN’ free chow? ‘At’s a sweet deal!” He snorts loudly, hawks, tilts his head a bit as though in thought, nods, and swallows. He takes up the pen, and scrawls his name on the paperwork.

That’s when the smell hits Arry.
 

stinkyfool

Registered User
Validated User
#5
Malkin flips over the documents, and a friendly smile shows on his face, but there is a slight tightness around his eyes and cheeks that just might suggest a hint of nerves. As Yuck lets out his outburst, his smile perks up more at the edges and a twinkle shows in his eyes.

He looks warmly at Arry and asks, "Why the need to keep away from the villagers? Anything not in that paperwork that you've heard?"

OOC:
Diplomacy roll (+6)
1d20+6: 20 [1d20=14]

Sense Motive (+8)
1d20+8: 15 [1d20=7]
 

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
#6
The clerk blinks at the gamey stench of the Tusk Opener. Anxious to be quit of his desk he leads the two more "respectable" Adventurers, Malkin and Jaer, to a quiet booth. He speaks quietly, careful not to be overheard.

"I remember the letter. The priest explained that last winter a band of Adventurers known as the "Jovials" stole from the village. The locals are wary now of Guild parties so he wishes to restrict visiting Adventurers to the temple. It seems plausible. The Jovials are a rough bunch. But I must share something. This is his third letter this year requesting Guild Adventurers. The first made the same request for undead clearance. The second complained about an owlbear menacing the place."

"I am worried about two things! Firstly, the previous parties, the Jovials and the Last Men Standing, were seasoned. They should have cleared the place of perils. Secondly-neither party checked in here on the way back. Guild parties usually do in case I issue a bonus for good work."

"I'd like to ask you to go to the village and find out what happened. If you discover they didn't make it out, pen me a note. I'll send an agent with you to bring the message home. I reveal this to you because I can sense you are persons of taste and discretion..."

The halfling taps his nose and returns swiftly to the desk, completing the paperwork with deft flicks of his pen. He asks the party to meet his 'guide' to the village (no doubt his agent) the next morning. Under the Forest Gate at six bells

.............
Dawn. Forest Gate

It is still dark when they are greeted by a ragged beggar who offers to accompany the party to Thirdangel. He leads them into the gloom of the wintry forest.

OOC:

Make a Fort Save DC15 to see if you manage a fast hustle to the village. If any one roll fails (quite likely) you'll have to camp out for one night (alternatively, walk in the dark).

If you have any useful foresty skills (notice , survival, say) you can use them to add a bit of flavour to the journey.

...................................
How about a reward system-good writing/roleplay gives you free re-rolls like Savage Worlds bennies? I can balance it by giving a benny or two to my fave monsters ;)
 
Last edited:

stinkyfool

Registered User
Validated User
#7
Malkin arranges his gear carefully as the group starts their trek, slinging his shield over his back and letting his crossbow hang from his side for easy access. He holds his spear like a walking stick as they move, the miles flowing as he strides smoothly ahead.

He looks over at their ragged guide and asks, "Have you made this journey recently? I haven't made this trip before, anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated?"

OOC:
Fort Save
1d20+3: 23 [1d20=20]
 

RedNoseRudolph

The greatest reindeer.
Validated User
#8
Jaer adjust his wide-brimmed hat, and his eyes move all around them. The lighting is rather poor, but he doesn't mind. His eyes are sensitive enough to light that he has no problems seeing. Useful, even if he'll have to shield them from the glare of the sun later on.

His boots crunch silently with every step he makes, the backpack sits heavy on his back and he just knows he'll have blisters on his feet the next day. It's all worth it, in his opinion, if only for the adventure ahead of him.

There's a smile on his face, wide and happy and excited, and he's watching the plants of the forest with wide, cheerful eyes.

OOC: Fortitude!: 1d20+2 21

*reads promise of extra rolls for good roleplaying* *flexes writer muscles* Like this, boss?
 
Last edited:

Mitch

Flying high
Validated User
#9
Despite his bulk, Yuck appears to be no stranger to forced marches. He churns along the trail, the white plumes of his breath steady but not hurried. Stray flakes of snow from the white canopy above them settle on his frayed and mismatched gear: a dented breastplate, a worn backpack, a dagger whose leather-wrapped handle is coming loose.

He looks along the side of the trail. “Deer, rabbit”, he says. “Dere’s some good eatin’ ‘ere”. His prodigious stomach rumbles in the affirmative.

OOC: Fort save, Survival: 1d20+4 22 1d20+5 23
 

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
#10
OOC:
Three luck points awarded. One peril point assigned. I'm awarding one luck point to each of the three players for role-playing and making the forced march rolls. I'll keep a record of these, as a pool that anyone can use to re-roll any roll. For every three points I award to you I'll mark up a peril point that monsters can use in the same way.


Threeangels Clearing, Near Dusk

They have made it! All day, with only the briefest of breaks, they have shuffled along wending forest trails . Sometimes the path has been covered with snow. Here in the deeper, warmer part of the woods there is no snow underfoot. Only leafless trees and a slate grey sky. The peddlar-guide smiles approvingly. By arriving at the village before dusk they have dodged the need for a dangerous night under bivouac.

OOC: Recycling Yuck's survival roll.

As they near the village clearing, Yuck notices fresh tracks-the distinctive split-toed boots worn by hunting Tusks. He follows them to spy four of the creatures crouching in the nettles at the forest edge, overlooking the village. They are flicking arrows onto the roofs, frightening the folk within.

OOC: Deepforest Tusks are always hostile to humans and especially elves. So I'll assume an attack here.

Yuck can return stealthily to the party and whisper what he has seen. Everyone roll stealth DC15 to get close enough to the Tusks to charge , shoot or use a spell with surprise. Again lowest roll counts for the purposes of their detection.

Also roll an attack (shoot, charge or fire spell) versus the Tusks, who are AC 16, 14 if surprised and flat-footed. hp 17 (1d10+7) . We can refer to them as T#1, T#2, T#3 and T#4.

I’ll roll party initiative for the two sides now. Adventurers on +6 based on a hand-waved calculation that uses fastest character bonuses. Looks like Adventurers will go first with or without surprise.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom