IC Pathfinder : Guild Adventurers

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
“Cool and windy , as ever in these late spring days. But there might still be a snowfall or two overnight on those high Crags. Or just rain, which gave them its name.”

The Guild House in Highton, though even seedier (colder and draughtier) than the ruin in Deepwood, has all the things that Malkin suggests. Lent for free, but expected to be returned in reasonable condition.

OOC: So let’s consider the party tooled up with suitable mountain gear, clothes and rations.

The commissioner is, as usual, the Adventurer’s Clerk in the Town Hall. Guild parties get money from local towns in return for monster killing. Guilds have no money of their own, except for membership fees, so adventure work is paid for by these town hall officials. This is how your first adventure went, too.

There is a risk here that the locals are going beyond their remit, in sending in a Guild party rather than wait for the Sky Boats, which the Champions/Wizards have ordered. Real sticklers in your position might refuse the commission on the grounds that the Champs/Wizards might get pissy that they’ve been disobeyed. The Clerk has said he’ll take the blame if you are caught by a Champion boat crew, but they still might fine the party or banish them from the district or such.

OTOH Guilders tend to follow the coin, or take side of afflicted locals rather than merely do what they are told...

So all aboard who’s coming aboard. Let’s have some power hiking rolls, d20 + Str bonus DC10, to make a fast hustle to the first location, Mossy Rocks, on the Crags. The high road there is not as arduous as the Crags trail will be after Mossy Rocks.

On the way make any appropriate rolls including a Perception roll.
 

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"You know, I wouldn't worry about the Champions," Alita says with an encouraging smile as they exit the house. "As officious as they can be, I doubt they would be so stuck-up as to... to call dibs on such a thing, you know? I expect they just worry about people trying to help and getting in over their heads, is all!"

She seems either oblivious to or merely unconcerned by the immediate implications of her theory...

On the trail she makes good time, striding lightly up the winding path with her ever present cheer, singing or humming a seemingly endless cavalcade of half-remembered road songs despite her usual shortness of breath and frequently offering to carry the gear of anyone lagging behind.

OOC: Strength 1d20+2 = 22!
Perception 1d20+8 = 12

Once we reach Mossy Rocks Alita will try to ask around about local news and other possible clues into what happened to High Pen, so here's a pre-emptive roll for that: Diplomacy 1d20 + 12 = 17
 

Medley

Asking for it
Validated User
"Blue bloods are never where they need to be anyhow," Dasten remarks to Alita, grinning. "Present company excepted."

This is not the kind of job Dasten would have accepted just mere months ago. He would have called it too risky. Chewed out anyone who ordered their band go in, chasing after brightsilver. But with these bandmates, his friends, things seem different. Dasten has watched each of them agree by by their own volition to go into the maw. And if they're game, so is he.

Dasten is able to keep pace with the others, but the effort of it blunts his usually decent senses, and he watches Yona bound effortlessly over the rocks with some envy. He does ty to use the time to recall any knowledge that may prove useful regarding whatever beasts they could be facing, though even that proves difficult.

OOC: Strength; Perception: 1d20 14 (though it's a solid 20 if Climb counts and a better roll here gives a better result) 1d20+8 10
Knowledge (Dungeoneering); Knowledge (Nature): 1d20+8 13 1d20+3 12
 

stinkyfool

Registered User
Validated User
Malkin adjusts the coil of rope he has laid over his body, and hustles to stay with the group on the mountain paths. He says as they go, "I think we just lean on confusion if we get caught, questions were sent, but as there were no replies, we tried to help. Or some such line. Hopefully we can get more information when we get to Mossy Rocks."

OOC:
Strength and then Perception Rolls
1d20: 17 [1d20=17]- Strength
1d20+10: 24 [1d20=14]- Perception
Diplomacy roll for asking around in Mossy Rocks
1d20+9: 14 [1d20=5]
Sense motive in Mossy Rocks
1d20+10: 26 [1d20=16]
 

jamieth

Registered User
Validated User
Leanna, a show-off that she is, just can't help but challenge Yona at rock-hopping... which ends in just the worst possible way for the elf.
OOC: Power Hiking; Perception: 1d20+1 2 1d20+1 2
Won't roll anything else for now, due to... probably being not in the condition to do so, after my great luck on the dice.
 

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
The party makes a good fist of their dash to Mossy Rocks, following the road up and down steep slopes to reach the settlement. But ill luck befalls first Malkin, then Yuck, who hobble themselves in the race. There is nothing for it but to accept the offer of a hay merchant and ride the last leg of the journey on a hay-heaped wagon. A few hours are lost, but the hikers' twisted muscles are given time to rest.

Close to Mossy Rocks, Yuck gazes from his vantage on the wagon and notices a set of footprints on a muddy stretch of the road. Three runners, wearing tough, soft boots, passed hours earlier.

As they arrive in the market square of Mossy Rocks, Yona sees that the delay may have cost them the element of secrecy. As ever, her eyes scan the folk who bustle there. A stall-keeper selling tin cutlery has a familiar face. It is impossible , but she is sure the woman is Milligan Blue, Ranger [5th level Scout] for the Blues. The Ranger's gaze wanders in her direction and takes in the arrivals. A smirk seems to play on her lips as she haggles with a crone over the price of a spoon.

It is still early afternoon. With their muscles rested, the party can try a second race to Triple Peaks, and, Angels willing, even afflicted High Pens itself (if they wish) before nightfall.

"What news?, " Alita asks a distiller boss.

"Ha! A secret-I know the watchman. Flying Boat came over an hour before. The watchman saw it from the Very High Tower yonder. The craft landed beyond High Pens at the old Eagle Heights observatory. No doubt to protect the place from the devourers that beset the poor folk in that village. No sign that anyone, Champions or Guilders, have come here to help us! Nor even at Triple Peaks, closer to the place. It is unprotected as far as we know! Unless you are such, perhaps?"

OOC: The news is surprising-Flying Boats are supposed to be far away, not due to arrive for days. The landing may have been secret. Also, of course, what are the Blues doing here?
 

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Ah - perhaps, angels willing? Thank you, master of spirits! I'm in your debt." Alita excuses herself with a smile and a curtsy, not an unimpressive move in her weighty armor. Skipping out the door, she turns briefly to call over her shoulder, "If you ever pass by a place called Crossgrave Isle, please stop at the keep! I can promise a warm welcome, and business as well if I know my friends at all!"

She runs to gather the rest of the band and deliver them the "secret" news.

"I have a bad feeling about this," she muses, uncommonly somber for a moment. "We should head for Triple Peaks, at least, while there's still daylight."

The option not to rush toward danger is tacitly left off the table, of course.
 

Gamble Gold

Registered User
Validated User
OOC: Just picking your feet up and powering on to the afflicted village is defo an option. Make a climb roll, DC15, to sprint along the wending trail to High Pen by nightfall (climb this time as there are rocky, climbs bits to the trail). DC 10 will get you to Triple Peaks, the next settlement along. Those who roll over 20 can decrease their result on a 2 for 1 basis to assist less nimble walkers.

I’d better check that nobody wants to do a bit of intel work here, first, though.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom