• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Pathfrinder] Misfit Monsters Redeemed

Gogmagog

Validated User
Perhaps made as a response to SA's 'D&D, WTF?!' Pathfinder has released a book of 10 lame D&D monsters and given them an upgrade. Flumphs,Delvers,Dire Corbys and Wolf in Sheep's Clothing have gotten an upgrade.

BrianDR

Validated User
Perhaps made as a response to SA's 'D&D, WTF?!' Pathfinder has released a book of 10 lame D&D monsters and given them an upgrade. Flumphs,Delvers,Dire Corbys and Wolf in Sheep's Clothing have gotten an upgrade.
Plus the flail snail, executioner's hood/lurker above(now different stages of the same monster), tojanida, disenchanter, lava child, and adherer.

tbok1992

What about to the Head Injury Theater articles on Stupid Monsters that got Jared VonHindman hired as a freelancer at Wizards?

Sebmojo

There was also a 4e DUngeon adventure that used a bunch of denizens of the whackier end of the monster spectrum.

BrianDR

Validated User
I've only read a handful of the monsters in depth so far,but my impression is it's pretty good. "Make these incredibly stupid monster concepts cool by tweaking them" is an interesting design goal. I think they succeeded more than they failed, and though a few of the monsters are probably beyond redemption, there are actually several of them I would be happy to include in a campaign someday (and probably will).

The art is excellent, and goes a long way toward improving the monsters. For instance, redrawing the Tojanida was half the battle:

original Tojanida:

new Tojanida:

If I have a complaint for the book, it's that a few of the monsters had cool summaries for their new schtick ( Delvers are now "Ancient Architects left behind by alien masters, turning the entire planet into a cathedral as they wait for the old ones to return"), but this concept isn't really expanded upon much in an interesting way, and the article reads like a fairly standard monster ecology.

Joe_G_Kushner

Validated User
I like it but...

It's hard to say awesome though because a lot of the stupidity of the older monsters is tied into the horrible art work and limited amount of information that was originally presented.

Paizo has a legion of talented artists, writers, and editors. They'd be hard pressed to make something really suck with the resources at their disposla.

Top Bottom