💀 Necro Phoenix Point: XCOM mixed with grand strategy genre?

silburnl

Validated User
So a crowdfunding campaign for this has been launched on Fig (a RPS article turned up in my steam newsfeed, which is how I heard about this) - 43 days to go as of time of writing and they are already 60% funded, so it seems like they'll meet their target with ease. They are still talking about a Q4 2018 release, although there's beta access (in Q1) as one of the pledge rewards.

One to watch I think.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
I'm extremely interested in this and the discount looks good.

I'm just starting to get crowdfunging fatigue, otherwise this would be no-brainer. Well, that and I don't want to make yet another new account for just one project.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yesterday they announced that Phoenix Point will now be exclusive for the Epic Store for a year. Backers will get 1 year of free DLC for the title.

A lot of people seems to be incredibly pissed, and have asked for a refund.

Falkus

Validated User
I have, I was extremely disappointed in this decision. The game was specifically crowdfunded with a promise that it would be available on Steam and GOG. Even leaving aside the issues with the Epic Store, I don't care for companies that try to pull a trick like that.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm not that pissed, but I'm wondering if I should. It doesnt look nice, thats for sure, although I tend to approach this stuff without a lot of weight on the promises.

On the other hand, they may be looking at their numbers and see they dont have a future as a studio without an injection of money.

I dont know. But sure cant say it sounds good, or that people that are demanding a refund and are angry or disappointed dont have a good point.

Matt.Ceb

WH40k: An unending holy space Brexit. (Nic Rueben)
Validated User
I'd be willing to purchase a pre-order of anybody who'd like a refund. :D

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
The way I figure, if Epic Store keeps this up after it's become established, I'll be leery. At the moment, when it's still getting started, I'm willing to grant it some exclusives as a way to get the ball rolling, partly because getting Steam some competition is so important and at this point, it's hard to see how that could happen without some creative finangling like this.

On a more personal level... Well, I already have the account because I wanted to snatch up a few freebies, so in that sense there's no opportunity cost.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Just a note, because I was considering the refund but decided not to: if you're willing to wait a year, they're still going to honor the original Steam/GOG options (the latter being what I want since I don't do things that require someone else installing a downloader on my machine, so Epic or Steam are equally bad from where I sit) and you'll still get the free DLC. I can quite understand someone who doesn't want to do that (and in particular the Kickstarter backers who are mad as hell I think have a genuine point), but thought I should mention it, as it wasn't initially in the FAQ (until I asked them and suggested they put it in, in fact).

Top Bottom