💀 Necro Phoenix Point: XCOM mixed with grand strategy genre?

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
The way I figure, if Epic Store keeps this up after it's become established, I'll be leery. At the moment, when it's still getting started, I'm willing to grant it some exclusives as a way to get the ball rolling, partly because getting Steam some competition is so important and at this point, it's hard to see how that could happen without some creative finangling like this.

On a more personal level... Well, I already have the account because I wanted to snatch up a few freebies, so in that sense there's no opportunity cost.
The idea of Epic Store having exclusives doesn't bother me. On a conceptual level I get the objection but in this case all storefronts lead to my computer.

What bothers me is Epic Store is developing a trend of sniping games as exclusives on their store after the developers have already taken money on the basis that it's going to be available on Steam or GoG. That feels unethical to me and starting off with what feels like shady practices doesn't make me want to do business with them.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
The idea of Epic Store having exclusives doesn't bother me. On a conceptual level I get the objection but in this case all storefronts lead to my computer.

What bothers me is Epic Store is developing a trend of sniping games as exclusives on their store after the developers have already taken money on the basis that it's going to be available on Steam or GoG. That feels unethical to me and starting off with what feels like shady practices doesn't make me want to do business with them.
This is a fair enough point. In this case, I'm personally weighing the benefits of a possible competitor to Steam more than the issues I have with this, but I'm not at all offended at the people who view this differently.

If the store does get bigger and still continues with these exclusives... That's when I will definitely begin to have issues.

Falkus

Validated User

Exactly. If this was some new project, I wouldn't care about it being exclusive. But this was sold to the backers on being a Steam/GOG game.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Yeah, like I said, I think perhaps the Kickstarter backers have a bit more of a right to be irritated about this than someone like me who just preordered does.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
As a backer I'm not really bothered, because I was just going to get it on Steam and I don't mind using Epic instead.

But...I do agree that it's not great ethically.

Ferrus Animus

Validated User
That kind of bait and switch, paired with the issues of the epic store....yeah, I'd rather wait a year than support that.

On the other hand, they may be looking at their numbers and see they dont have a future as a studio without an injection of money.
Then maybe they should say so.
Given that one of the appeals of crowdfunding for the backers is the idea that that frees the games from overbearing corporate restrictions...this doesn't leave a good taste.

Endless Rain

Validated User
This is called Tortious Interference with a contract. It's a federal crime in the United States. I'm expecting Epic Store to get involved in its first major lawsuit very, very soon.

Top Bottom