• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Play to find what changes?

vini_lessa

Validated User
Only recently got to read Masks a New Generation and I'm in love with it's "Play to find what changes" motto and the mechanics that make it happen like Influence, Labels and Moments of Truth.

Then I remembered that Pendragon, another game I'm a big fan of, also does that with its shifting virtue traits. Perhaps more timidly/less explicitly, but I could totally see that agenda fitting it too.

What other games are there about the characters' internal changes, or that at least have this as an important aspect?

jacobkosh

Validated User
In Star Trek Adventures, every PC is defined by four player-chosen Values - statements of belief or self-identity, like "I am an honorable Klingon" or "there's no such thing as a no-win scenario." Every so often, PCs can get a big mechanical bonus when taking an action in accordance with their Values. But, interestingly, they can get the same bonus by acting contrary to a Value - provided they then cross the Value out. It can provide no further help. At the end of the story, it's replaced with a new Value reflecting the character's new perspective.

vini_lessa

Validated User
In Star Trek Adventures, every PC is defined by four player-chosen Values - statements of belief or self-identity, like "I am an honorable Klingon" or "there's no such thing as a no-win scenario." Every so often, PCs can get a big mechanical bonus when taking an action in accordance with their Values. But, interestingly, they can get the same bonus by acting contrary to a Value - provided they then cross the Value out. It can provide no further help. At the end of the story, it's replaced with a new Value reflecting the character's new perspective.
Very interesting! Any review or discussion that you recommend for me to know about the game?

EndlessKng

An Innocent Bystander
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd argue that both Scion 2E and Exalted from 2E on both involve "internal changes" and values to some extent in different ways.

Scion has had Virtues since 1E, as did Exalted and VTM. However, in 2E, you no longer had a list of four virtues you followed (plus any others you picked up on the way); rather, each pantheon focus on a dichotomy between two virtues, a tension that is prevalent (if not predominant) in the myths of that culture. For example, the Theoi (ancient Greek Pantheon) have a tension between Egotism and Kinship - the drive to be the best you can, and honoring the family ties and constraints they have on you. They don't necessarily conflict ALL the time, but they can, and which way you lean can shape how you act.

Exalted 2e introduced me as a player to another mechanic for virtues and values with Intimacies. They're similar to the bonds you build in Pendragon (the values you hold beyond your dichotomy values - so Love for your Lord or your Paramour, Fear towards an enemy, etc), but they are more specific and not necessarily numbered. They represent things that are important to you, tangible or otherwise. They can drive you to do things you may not otherwise, but also protect you from mind control that would damage them (but they also CAN be negative, from a player viewpoint!)

Clophiroth

Validated User
If you try Exalted for the Intimacies, I would suggest 3E, as they are more developed in that edition.

Derrick Kapchinsky

Validated User
In Burning Wheel, each character has three Beliefs, which kind of act as a combination of philosophical beliefs, relationships, and long- or short-term goals. At the end of each session, you can earn different metacurrencies for both working towards or completing your Beliefs. AND...you can also earn metacurrency for significantly working against your Beliefs. So everytime you create a new Belief, the game pushes you to either fulfill or abandon that Belief.

Top Bottom