• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Please tell me of FASERIP and MSH

Old Man Vegan

Validated User
I agree, huge fan of the SAGA rules, in fact planning to re start my Marvel campaign using this.
I never got a chance to play this, though I did buy it back in the day. The first thing I hear when this game gets mentioned is "death spiral." I understand you lay down cards when you take damage and that also diminishes your ability to act. I know that before Mutants & Masterminds, Steve Kenson ran a blog for his Saga campaign, came up with point buy rules for it, etc. (That's where I first learned his name.)

I always liked the idea of playing canon characters, so I bought MSH but none of my friends would play. They were all-in on Champtions in the 80s and while I could play it, I hated it because of the simulation nature of it--those games don't feel like comic books to me.

The one Marvel game I never bought was Marvel Universe (stones).

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
I have all the Marvel games, and I played all of them except the stones one (it never seemed to be worth playing, honestly). However, it's seeming like the old MSH might be the only one worth playing for me.

Soylent Green

Polar Blues
Validated User
I have all the Marvel games, and I played all of them except the stones one (it never seemed to be worth playing, honestly). However, it's seeming like the old MSH might be the only one worth playing for me.
The "one with the stones" had some good ideas, my impression was it would require too much booking keeping for the GM during play, at least for my style of GMing. I have heard it works well for play by post, but again I have no personal experience to back this.

Old Man Vegan

Validated User
Personally, I'm the hugest fan of Marvel Heroic (Cortex). I've never found any supers game to be better at comic book style play (as opposed to simulation/physics/powers emulation).

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
Personally, I'm the hugest fan of Marvel Heroic (Cortex). I've never found any supers game to be better at comic book style play (as opposed to simulation/physics/powers emulation).
It's a polarizing rules set. You can find no shortage of people here who adore it and praise it as the best supers game ever made. I have tried to run it, and I have played in one game. If someone tells me what to do, I don't mind playing it. But I would never try to run it in its present form. I'll buy the generic book and give it another chance. (I am also one of the ones who does not accept the assertion that the rules allow chargen.)

Old Man Vegan

Validated User
It's a polarizing rules set. You can find no shortage of people here who adore it and praise it as the best supers game ever made. I have tried to run it, and I have played in one game. If someone tells me what to do, I don't mind playing it. But I would never try to run it in its present form. I'll buy the generic book and give it another chance. (I am also one of the ones who does not accept the assertion that the rules allow chargen.)
You can easily create a character several ways: eyeballing (modeling), random, or tacking on a dice "buy" system. It's just as fair as point-buy in Champions or M&M (etc) because point-buy is a false premise. It doesn't matter that two characters start at X points--it's what you're buying with those points. Some things clearly are better than others, so it's actually a penalty to invest in something objectively weaker, e.g. Climbing < Wall-Crawling < Flight. When you're paying the same cost for these things, where you spend the points (and that some characters end up with more agency than others) makes it matter.

SetentaeBolg

Validated User
I never got a chance to play this, though I did buy it back in the day. The first thing I hear when this game gets mentioned is "death spiral." I understand you lay down cards when you take damage and that also diminishes your ability to act. I know that before Mutants & Masterminds, Steve Kenson ran a blog for his Saga campaign, came up with point buy rules for it, etc. (That's where I first learned his name.)

I always liked the idea of playing canon characters, so I bought MSH but none of my friends would play. They were all-in on Champtions in the 80s and while I could play it, I hated it because of the simulation nature of it--those games don't feel like comic books to me.

The one Marvel game I never bought was Marvel Universe (stones).
You usually get the cards back when you play them. The difficulty is when you take damage, you lose cards, and in that sense are less capable. However, in my experience as a GM of SAGA, I usually expect the players to triumph as they have many means to throw out large totals. The only circumstances I wouldn't expect that is if I deliberately choose to make things difficult using Doom cards to represent a turning point in play or a particular nemesis. The Doom cards give me flexibility over the flow of play but are still within the player's gift to use or not - so players tend to feel less powerless in the face of GM arbitrariness if they directly contributed to it.

I don't know, i didn't like the use of dice. I personally found that most supers are not really dice friendly to me.otherwise it was ok.

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
Would the armor system in MSH be better if you halved the Rank value? It seems like that could still make armor very strong without it completely short-circuiting some fight scenes.

(I also liked the variable damage of Yellow=+1 rank damage, Red=+2 ranks.)

(I am also finding the FASERIP game to be a great version of these rules.)

Top Bottom