• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC Poisoned Honey: A Requiem for the Gods Sidequest

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Going to post this here to keep it from cluttering up the IC thread.

The Gods
To be blunt, I lack the time or interest to invent an entire Mesoamerican pantheon from scratch, so we are going with the actual Aztec deities, or at least fanatasified versions of them. The main thing there is that all of the gods have both good and evil elements; even the noblest has a dark side, and even the worst has positive traits.

Sacrifice
The people of this land view blood sacrifice as a natural and proper thing. Minor sacrifices - i.e., cutting your arm and letting blood drip in a ceremonial bowl or the like - is common, especially for ceremonies such as marriages, births, deaths, and seasonal festivals.

They also practice human sacrifice, albeit not often. More than once a year is unusual. Often, the sacrifice is a respected prisoner (such as a mighty warrior of a hostile people - they don't just grab criminals or homeless people and axe them). This is considered an honor of sorts, since only the strongest and bravest are sacrificed, and their souls are assumed to ascend to the realm of the gods. At other times, the sacrifice is voluntary, at least to a degree - the losers of the sacred game of ullamaliztli are often sacrificed, but it's a risk they knowingly assume when they become participants. Occasionally, a particularly inspired, dedicated, or desperate person may volunteer for sacrifice in the hopes of bringing the favor of the gods on their friends, family, or personal cause.

Blood Magic
Blood magic is likewise considered a respected and normal thing. The act of sacrifice releases an enormous outflow of magical energy, and the wizard-priests of this land know how to capture and manipulate it. A looming famine, for instance, may call for a sacrifice, and the resultant magical energy used to cast a spell of fertility of truly vast scale over the farmlands. There is a strong belief that blood magic must be used for the common good: since it is the result of a sacrifice/gift to the gods, it would be blasphemous to keep such power for onesself. The gods would surely take vengeance upon one who did so, and to prevent this, the wizard-priests are fanatical about hunting down rogue blood sorcerers and executing them in particularly nasty ways.

This is also why the blood magic of the Cochotlacatl is so despised. Rather than respecting the sacrifice and using the release of magic for the greater good, the bird-people steal blood (thus usurping the prerogative of the gods) and use the resultant magic for their own selfish ends, which usually involve causing harm to humans. A sacrifice may be traumatic, but it is not intentionally sadistic; the sacrificial victim is treated with respect and is killed quickly. The Cochotlacatl employ more vicious methods.

The wizard-priests can cast some smaller-scale spells (normal SW powers) without the necessity of a sacrifice, but such things are considered lesser magic.

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Nicely done, and very in line with what the broader and general Meso-American world view of things. *Gives the MesoAmerican-phile seal of approval*

I do kind of wonder what Jake would think of this place xD

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
Nicely done, and very in line with what the broader and general Meso-American world view of things. *Gives the MesoAmerican-phile seal of approval*

I do kind of wonder what Jake would think of this place xD
Jake would see the whole place as savages (remember; he's a white guy from pulp/dieselpunk 1940s America). Seiran would be similarly horrified at all the blood sacrifice.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Madeline pants and hisses in pain, panic, and anger. She tries to move back properly into the shallows first, then takes a moment to calm herself enough to sing a short song, weaving her magic into aiding her mate as she works to keep out of range

Spoiler: Show
Boost Trait for Anna, Fighting
Be aware that Anna is currently attacking with her fire katana, which allows her to use Spellcasting as her attack skill. You can still boost her Fighting if you want, or you can edit that.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I haven't forgotten, but I had a fatiguing day today. Will update tomorrow.

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
I'd like Madeline to fire her pistol in the direction of the other two birds first. Seeing as Fire isn't doing much to zombie bird, it's probably better to deal with the two potential combatants who are likely more squishy.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
To clarify, Birds #1 and #2 are not near each other - Ichtacka is in the center, facing Rikku at the barn door, and the others are about six paces back and on either size.

As I'm reading it, Rikku is just outside of the barn door and everyone else is clustered behind her in the barn, is this correct?

Top Bottom