IC Poisoned Honey: A Requiem for the Gods Sidequest

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
After a moment of thought, Madeline decided to begin singing again, but this time more in the vein of telling a story. Specifically, of the very quest they were currently on. Of their arrival here, of them seeking to aid another city, and to find any survivors from the town we were making for as we sought out a person with the tools and knowledge to assist us. Perhaps this would work well, since singing seemed to be something they enjoyed... or at least, that was her guess.

OOC: Music roll here perhaps?
 

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Spoiler: Show

Madeline Music: 5


One of the frogs - a small one with no weapons but a knife, and a dappled blue body and red limbs - stares intently at Anna as if the kitsune was a puzzle the frog was trying to solve. Madeline resumes her song and the others settle down, though some continue to eye Aress and Rikku warily.

As Madeline sings, four or five of the frogs stir, throats pulsing. They seem to be communicating, though you can't hear any words or even any sounds. After a few moments they gather together in a group and disappear, led by the red-limbed frog Anna had been speaking to.

As Madeline's story-song winds to its conclusion, the little band of frogs return, carrying something. The blue leader chirrups at them, and there follows a few minutes of animated arm-waving and agitated chirping. Finally the red-limbed frog and its companions seem to prevail, and make their way to Anna and Madeline. They lay their burdens on the ground before you: a string of a dozen small fish, two full waterskins (nearly the size of sleeping bags for the frogs), four skinned, gutted, smoked lizards, and a small leaf packet containing dried roots.

The red-limbed frog points to the roots, then clutches at its stomach and makes a distressed sound. It mimes eating the roots, then emits a satisfied-seeming chirp, patting its stomach.

All the frogs watch intently for your reaction.
 

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Madeline watches with interest at the reactions of the frogs, and smile happily as they seem to have gotten the idea finally. She nods to Aress and Rikku as she spots them, relaxing somewhat as she waits for the frogs to stop talking. Her eyes widen when they bring over some supplies, and she gives them a thankful bow, then watches the one pointing to the root. Curiosity getting the better of her, she picks up one of the roots and studies it before shrugging and deciding to take a bite.
 

annakimly

Lost Deific Kitsune
Validated User
Anna watches with a smile, especially when they return with what seems to be food... she giggles and grabs her food pouch, fishing out a palmful of berries... she offers the berries as she leans and gently, if allowed, takes one of the fish... "Madeline, I think that may be some medicine to solve stomach aches?" she says to the snow leopard beside her, judging from the pantomimes… she keeps the palmful of berries offered to the frogs and smiles at them... hopefully her entrustment of a peace offering, despite how small, will be accepted... and the berries that come out of the pouch are always so lovely and deliciously fresh.
 

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The root has a bitter, acrid taste, confirming your suspicions that it is meant as medicine.

The frogs do not stop Anna from taking a fish, though they watch her curiously. When she offers them a handful of berries, one - a pale green fellow - stalks forward and examines them for a long moment before taking one. He (or possibly she) holds it up to his eye, then eats it in a quick snap. He gestures to the others, and three or four frogs rush up and quickly collect all the berries from Anna's hand. The green frog looks up at Anna, his expressionless face conveying . . . not thanks, precisely, but acknowledgement.

There's a questioning chirrup from the blue frog you take to be the leader, who levels its spear at Rikku and Aress. The bow-wielding frogs draw their arrows, all aimed at the blue-haired human and the elf, a good six or eight of them. The blue frog's gaze flicks from Madeline to Anna, the question clear: shall we shoot them?
 

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
"Whoa whoa whoa, hey," Aress says, raising her hands in a gesture of placation, "we're all friends here, right? Hey, Madeline, mind telling the little blue guys to not point their arrows at us, please...?"
 

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User
"No harm is meant, little frogs," Rikku says, keeping her hands up and open to show she was unarmed.
 

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Madeline looks to the frog and gives a gentle smile. "These are the companions I spoke of in my song. They are with us." She shakes her head no to emphasize that they aren't to be shot as she looks over at the pair and gives them a slow, beckoning gesture.

Assuming they got it, and allowed their companions to draw closer, she smiled again and carefully added the offered supplies to their own reserves. After a moment of thought, she smiles and gently takes the silver charm she had bought in the previous world, offering it to the blue frog as she said "A protective ward from the world we visited before this one... in thanks for the help you have given."
 

annakimly

Lost Deific Kitsune
Validated User
Anna points to the other two "they are..." she thinks for a moment, working how to get her meaning across... she points to herself and Madeline. "our tribe." She finishes with a smile. "friends." to add to the point she fishes out the last few berries from her pouch for now, it will replenish in time as it does, and hands them to Rikku and Aress. "give them the berries like I did..." she says, making sure to move slowly and calmly to not disturb the wary frogs.

After resolving the 'issue' between Rikku and Aress and the frogs, hopefully well, she bows very low and gracefully, her tails dancing calmly behind her... "our thanks..." she stands "I do not know if you understand..." she focuses, trying to use her magic, or perhaps the mark to pass her words on to them... so they understand. "This world is soon to perish, there is a village far behind us, if you go there you may escape." She smiles faintly.

OOC: anna is trying to use her magic to transfer the meaning of her warning to the frogs, spellcasting roll I guess?
 

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The frogs lower their weapons, though they continue to watch these newcomers closely. The blue frog steps forward - you can see that normal walking is awkward for these creatures - and, after some hesitation, takes the silver charm from Madeline's hand. The small creature examines the charm carefully, holding up to its large eyes, then looks back at Madeline and utters a short chirp that somehow sounds like acknowledgement..

The frogs collectively turn to stare as Anna attempts to communicate. After some consideration, a small, blue frog with red limbs collects the berries from Aress and Rikku's hands.

They watch her bow but do not bow in return, perhaps being unfamiliar with the gesture. As Anna calls on her innate magic to try to communicate, the frog-folk break out into a series of quiet chirps, becoming agitated. After some sort of amphibian conference, they disappear into the ruins, leaving only the blue leader behind.

The blue frog finds a clear spot on the ground and, with the butt of their spear, sketches a crude picture of a humanoid stick figure with a large projection coming from its head, like a curved triangle. A claw, or perhaps a beak? The frog indicates the figure, and utters a low croak that seems to convey warning. Then it gestures emphatically with the spear, pointing due south - the direction you have been traveling - and southwest, to the right, referring often to the sketched figure.

The blue frog stares at you each in turn, gestures to the sketch and emits that warning croak again, then turns and leaps away.
 
Top Bottom