• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Poisoned Honey: A Requiem for the Gods Sidequest

annakimly

Lost Deific Kitsune
Validated User
"Well, at least we got some exercise doing it," says Rikku with a shrug. "Best get going. That vampire parrot won't be able to travel by day. We should use that to get as far as we can."
"we do not know that... there are Night Walkers of y world, or were..." anna looks down and sighs... "who were simply stricken of their most mighty powers by day, not slain..." She replies. "we should keep our guard up, because we do not know his strengths or weaknesses..." She adds, she does not mention the nagging feeling of dread and terror needling her about her 'sister' and dark twin... nor the weird weakness gnawing at her since.
 

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Madeline nods at this, quickly filling her and Anna's own water pouches in the well they'd found then making sure to secure all that the frog folk had given before taking the lead again and saying "Let's get going folks, no need to dawdle any longer now that we don't have a potential fight on our hands."
 

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Now resupplied, you continue heading south toward the city of Cuicatlan. The day passes swiftly, but travel is easier now that the dense forest is behind you; rolling farmland passes underfoot. You see occasional ruined homesteads, and pass many fields overgrown with weeds and random clusters of crops, growing in irregular patches from spilled seeds. Animal life is abundant: you see many of the small, hairy pigs, as well as pale deer and some shaggy, long-necked animals you're unfamiliar with.

You set watches through the night, but nothing more dangerous than some curious rodents disturb you. The rustle of wings overhead startles you more than once, but you soon realize it's only bats - large bats, the size of small canines, but mundane animals nonetheless, with more interest in the night-blooming vines than you. Smaller bats wheel and dart after the ubiquitous insects.

Madeline has more dreams of the tecuani woman, Gold Claw, though she remembers nothing coherent when she awakens - just wisps of memory and occasional images, such as a piece of jewelry, a particular flower, or a feeling of closeness with someone she does not know in her waking life.

Anna's dreams are more troubled. Although her nightmare involving Lili does not return to haunt her, she often feels her sister/other self's presence in her sleep. There's a sense of draining and weakness, of water leaking out of a vessel, or of her own arms growing to weak to carry a familiar weight. She does not manifest her fire magic in her sleep again.

A few days after you encounter with the frog-folk, you find the land beginning to slope upwards. The farms have become fewer and more scattered, and the air a touch cooler (though still stiflingly hot to the cold-natured snow leopard). Ahead, you see the haze of a forest no more than a few hours travel away, and beyond - hills, climbing into mountains beyond your sight. Somewhere in the foothills of these mountains is your goal, the town of Cuicatlan.

OOC: Pausing here for reactions and plans. Are you going to just march into Cuicatlan without ceremony?
Is anyone doing anything special as you travel? Hunting? Magical research? Anything else?
 

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
After Madeline again experiences dreams of the tecuani woman Gold Claw, she tries to spend the next few nights focusing on those visions, trying to discern or get whatever she can from them, though it doesn't seem to be that successful. Still, she makes sure to share whatever she does end up remembering with the others, figuring it might be important.

She also does her best to check up on and console Anna, making sure to curl up next to her protectively after the second night of nightmares. Madeline knows some songs that in theory are meant to keep nightmares at bay, but she's not sure they'd work in this case or at all, as they aren't like the bardic spellsongs she has...

Knowing that they were drawing closer, Madeline mostly focuses on just getting there. They have to find what they've been sent here for... the sooner the better.
 

annakimly

Lost Deific Kitsune
Validated User
Anna hates the feeling as she sleeps.... but she endures it none the less... she slogs on forward.... Thankfully her snowmew mate is always present with her, helping her ward off the despair of the dreams...

As anna travels forward she focuses on her shadow, meditating on what's happening to her.... and often wanders mindlessly with the group, paying little attention... she hardly notices as they near their destination, wrapped up in thought as she has been for days.
 

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User
Rikku has been practicing her katas every morning, and every evening when they stop. She also meditates as she sleeps, attempting to focus her chi. It's not as good a workout as her usual training back home, but it's something. It won't do to be lax about it here, especially with that vampire parrot still out there somewhere.

She worries a bit about Anna's nightmares, but she's unsure what to do about them at this point.
 

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
Unlike her companions, Aress has very little to practice besides her knife-throwing, though the ceremonial knives she found are heavy and unbalanced. She has a couple more balanced daggers, particularly the one Madeline gave her, and the macuahuitl was about as useful a throwing weapon as a club was.

The sooner they get to Cuicatlan, the happier she'll be. Maybe there they'd get loose of the vampire on their heels.

Anna's increased isolation in thought worries her; she never really got an answer for why she was casting fire in her sleep, and she didn't want to ask lest she stir up something nasty, especially with Madeline trying to make it easier for Anna with lullabies and songs.
 

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Madeline finds that her dreams often include an element of music: the distant chiming of wind chimes, or a complicated staccato drumbeat, or deep voices singing words she cannot understand. She feels a slowly growing . . . understanding of? Connection to? tecuani culture. It's nothing so clear and obvious as being able to recite facts about the jaguar-folk, more of a dawning awareness as to why certain things are the way they are.

She and Anna soon learn that her lullabies are helpful: while the dreams do not cease, Madeline's singing helps Anna retain her emotional stability. The unseen presence of her sister/other self remains, but she feels less weak, less alone. She has a dream of herself and Lili competing to complete a puzzle, and though only fragments remain when she awakens, she feels that she should have felt more afraid than she did. Often in her dreams she feels a strong desire to use her fire magic, but an equally strong sense that this would be a bad idea holds her back.

The rolling plains give way to hills dotted with bushes and small trees, but a road - in poor repair, but still recognizable - provides relatively easy access. You make your way through the hilly land, toward the forest and the mountains that draw ever closer. Still the vampire bird-man does not appear to molest you - perhaps he has given up?

Soon, you find yourselves standing before another forest, tall and dense, if perhaps a little less so than the one to the north. It's late afternoon; you have only an hour or two before true night falls. Standing to one side of the weed-grown road, just outside of the forest proper, is something that resembles a scarecrow: a pole made from a sapling with a crosspiece tied near the top. It is decorated with shaggy pelts that remind you of the hairy pigs, as well as strings of small bones, turtle shells, and large, brown feathers. Surmounting the whole is a skull, human at a glance. It does not look very old.
 

annakimly

Lost Deific Kitsune
Validated User
"Its a totem.... a scare-person" Anna mumbles as she looks at the abomination of a 'statue' before the group.... "its fresh made, and a threat to any newcomers"
 

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User
"So, do we need to avenge whomever that was?" Rikku asks the others. "Or do we just assume they were bad, and had it coming? Either way, we can't really let this scare us off. World ending and all."
 
Top Bottom