• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Poisoned Honey: A Requiem for the Gods Sidequest

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Madeline finds that her dreams often include an element of music: the distant chiming of wind chimes, or a complicated staccato drumbeat, or deep voices singing words she cannot understand. She feels a slowly growing . . . understanding of? Connection to? tecuani culture. It's nothing so clear and obvious as being able to recite facts about the jaguar-folk, more of a dawning awareness as to why certain things are the way they are.
Madeline quickly begins to feel more of a kinship towards the jaguar-folk that were once present in these lands, believing thanks to the theme that is constant in her dreams that music played a very important role in their culture and perhaps even in their magic. She begins to wonder if she'll get a chance to learn more about them and gain more understanding… Perhaps even find some of their music so that if nothing else she can make sure it is never lost to the end of this world's existence.

She and Anna soon learn that her lullabies are helpful: while the dreams do not cease, Madeline's singing helps Anna retain her emotional stability. The unseen presence of her sister/other self remains, but she feels less weak, less alone. She has a dream of herself and Lili competing to complete a puzzle, and though only fragments remain when she awakens, she feels that she should have felt more afraid than she did. Often in her dreams she feels a strong desire to use her fire magic, but an equally strong sense that this would be a bad idea holds her back.
Quite happy to find that her music is helping her lover and friend, Madeline finds herself spending much of the journey humming or singing soothing tunes to try and further provide help and relief to Anna.

Soon, you find yourselves standing before another forest, tall and dense, if perhaps a little less so than the one to the north. It's late afternoon; you have only an hour or two before true night falls. Standing to one side of the weed-grown road, just outside of the forest proper, is something that resembles a scarecrow: a pole made from a sapling with a crosspiece tied near the top. It is decorated with shaggy pelts that remind you of the hairy pigs, as well as strings of small bones, turtle shells, and large, brown feathers. Surmounting the whole is a skull, human at a glance. It does not look very old.
"Its a totem.... a scare-person" Anna mumbles as she looks at the abomination of a 'statue' before the group.... "its fresh made, and a threat to any newcomers"
"So, do we need to avenge whomever that was?" Rikku asks the others. "Or do we just assume they were bad, and had it coming? Either way, we can't really let this scare us off. World ending and all."
Gazing at the scarecrow, Madeline frowns and listens to Anna mentions, coming to just about the same conclusion. "Something tells me that this might be for us… Alternatively, someone else doesn't want anyone or anything coming close to our destination. We should be careful and keep alert… And now that I think about it, it might be best if we make camp here first. Make sure we're well rested before we go in."
 

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
She and Anna soon learn that her lullabies are helpful: while the dreams do not cease, Madeline's singing helps Anna retain her emotional stability. The unseen presence of her sister/other self remains, but she feels less weak, less alone. She has a dream of herself and Lili competing to complete a puzzle, and though only fragments remain when she awakens, she feels that she should have felt more afraid than she did. Often in her dreams she feels a strong desire to use her fire magic, but an equally strong sense that this would be a bad idea holds her back.
Aress is relieved Anna seems to be getting better, though she still doesn't understand why Anna's been getting nightmares lately. Then again, it's probably not her business to ask, and Aress wasn't exactly the touchy-feely sort. As long as Anna doesn't accidentally light them on fire, it's fine.
The rolling plains give way to hills dotted with bushes and small trees, but a road - in poor repair, but still recognizable - provides relatively easy access. You make your way through the hilly land, toward the forest and the mountains that draw ever closer. Still the vampire bird-man does not appear to molest you - perhaps he has given up?
The elf thief would only be too glad to believe that. Imagine not having a murderous monster chasing you for a while. Still, while it is probably too soon to dismiss the vampire, it's still rather relaxing not to think of it following them.
Soon, you find yourselves standing before another forest, tall and dense, if perhaps a little less so than the one to the north. It's late afternoon; you have only an hour or two before true night falls. Standing to one side of the weed-grown road, just outside of the forest proper, is something that resembles a scarecrow: a pole made from a sapling with a crosspiece tied near the top. It is decorated with shaggy pelts that remind you of the hairy pigs, as well as strings of small bones, turtle shells, and large, brown feathers. Surmounting the whole is a skull, human at a glance. It does not look very old.
"Its a totem.... a scare-person" Anna mumbles as she looks at the abomination of a 'statue' before the group.... "its fresh made, and a threat to any newcomers"
"That much is obvious," Aress says, studying the scarecrow, trying to see anything of value on it. The idea of stealing from a corpse creeps her out somewhat, but it's not like they need it anymore."
"So, do we need to avenge whomever that was?" Rikku asks the others. "Or do we just assume they were bad, and had it coming? Either way, we can't really let this scare us off. World ending and all."
"Plus, we're kind of busy with our own task," Aress adds. "Feel free to ask who it was - if we meet anyone."
Gazing at the scarecrow, Madeline frowns and listens to Anna mentions, coming to just about the same conclusion. "Something tells me that this might be for us… Alternatively, someone else doesn't want anyone or anything coming close to our destination. We should be careful and keep alert… And now that I think about it, it might be best if we make camp here first. Make sure we're well rested before we go in."
Aress looks around.

"Yeah, I guess that's probably the best bet," she says. "The usual arrangement of watch, then?"
 

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You find a sheltered spot some distance from the road and set up camp, watchful for any dangers. Firewood is easily gathered, and a small, fast-flowing stream provides water. Your food supplies are getting a little lean; you estimate no more than two more days before you have to forage or hunt, or do without.

Night falls quickly, accompanied by the usual swarms of insects, rustling of small animals, and the occasional cry of a night-bird. A new element appears tonight: orangey-yellow glowing insects that flicker through the trees, like large fireflies. They dance in intricate patterns, flashing their lights, and seem to fill the woods before you. A few drift near your camp: some sort of beetle the size of a man's thumb, with large, lacy wings. They prove to be distractingly attracted to your fire, but seem harmless; they neither bite nor sting, instead flashing their lights frantically when disturbed.

As Anna sleeps, the dreams come again, only partially subdued by Madeline's lullabies. Her dreams are hazy and incoherent, following no clear narrative, but she is keenly aware of Lili's presence, somehow drawing on her, draining her. At one point she looks down to see the hairy paws of a fox, and realizes she has somehow reverted to her feral form without meaning to. She tries to cry out in distress, but only a high-pitched yipping sound escapes her throat.

Madeline dreams once more of the tecuani, the jaguar-folk of this land. She seems to be traveling with a great crowd of them for reasons she cannot recall on waking; the rhythmic stamp of feet and the jingle of tiny bells is loud in her ears. In the way of dreams, she passes from the humid forests of this land to the arid lands of her birth, from shadowy woodlands to dark-shadowed canyons. Somewhere, someone is calling for her, a familiar voice but one she hasn't heard in far too long . . . her sister, Cassidy. She can't make out the words, but Cassidy seems to be lost in the maze of twisting canyons, her mournful call coming from just around each bend, just behind each wall of stone.

Midnight is past and the moon near the western horizon when you all awaken to a chilling sound, a wailing cry like a damned soul in torment. It seems to have come from overhead, to the south, up among the shadowy trees.

Spoiler: Show

Spirit rolls!
Anna: 10
Madeline: 4
Aress: 5
Rikku: 6

Anna is unaffected; the rest of you are creeped out. No mechanical penalties, but please RP appropriately


@ Anna
Spoiler: Show
When Anna awakens, she may not notice at first, but the backs of her hands are slightly furry. Fox-fur has also crept down the sides of her head onto her neck, and out from the bases of her tails, around her waist and partway down her thighs. Her feet feel strange, too; her toes are larger and her feet slightly longer.
 
Last edited:

annakimly

Lost Deific Kitsune
Validated User
Within the dream Anna looks around for her 'sister' yelping and chirping for her sibling, begging her to stop whatever she is doing.... pleading with her animal yipps for mercy.... forgiveness, SOMETHING...

Anna sits up from the dream, the ghost of a foxy chirp echoing from her mouth as she looks around, then up... it occurs it is VERY likely that vampire... she growls silently, the fresh grown fur on her body standing on end as she looks up and about.... seeking for the threatening wails...
 

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Madeline finds herself enjoying the strange glow beetles, once or twice trying to see if she can get one to briefly land on her finger so she can examine it before letting it fly off. Still, once time for bed comes, Madeline once again makes sure to sing Anna to sleep in order to help her fight off whatever is haunting her in her sleep.

Her own dreams however haunt her soon enough... seeing the Jaguar folk she is used to now, or was expecting... but hearing her sister's voice, hearing her call for her from within some twisty and shadowed canyon, always out of sight but heard around the bend...

She had been nearly ready to awaken as she desperately called out for her when the shriek awakens her and she wakes up with a start, drawing her pistol and frantically looking around as she asks "W~What in the hell is that? A monster? An animal? It sounds like something is being killed up there!"
 

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
You find a sheltered spot some distance from the road and set up camp, watchful for any dangers. Firewood is easily gathered, and a small, fast-flowing stream provides water. Your food supplies are getting a little lean; you estimate no more than two more days before you have to forage or hunt, or do without.
Aress gives a grunt of annoyance. She only hopes the city they're trying to find is nearby, or they'll be in trouble. If she were in a populated area, food wouldn't be a problem; she could always rely on her wits and cunning to get food. But out in the wilderness, she's out of luck. All she can do is pray they get somewhere they can resupply quickly.
Night falls quickly, accompanied by the usual swarms of insects, rustling of small animals, and the occasional cry of a night-bird. A new element appears tonight: orangey-yellow glowing insects that flicker through the trees, like large fireflies. They dance in intricate patterns, flashing their lights, and seem to fill the woods before you. A few drift near your camp: some sort of beetle the size of a man's thumb, with large, lacy wings. They prove to be distractingly attracted to your fire, but seem harmless; they neither bite nor sting, instead flashing their lights frantically when disturbed.
The elf soon starts disturbing the large fireflies out of boredom, enjoying the light show every time they disperse. She doesn't try to hurt them, merely scare them into not settling, and she doesn't do it too often lest she scare them off. They're practically the only entertainment she has at the moment.

She eventually goes to sleep...
Midnight is past and the moon near the western horizon when you all awaken to a chilling sound, a wailing cry like a damned soul in torment. It seems to have come from overhead, to the south, up among the shadowy trees.

Spoiler: Show
Spirit rolls!
Anna: 10
Madeline: 4
Aress: 5
Rikku: 6

Anna is unaffected; the rest of you are creeped out. No mechanical penalties, but please RP appropriately
Aress gets up with a start, her heart beating wildly.

"The hell was that?!" she whispers harshly. She swallows, her throat dry with the surprise. She's fully awake again, and finds little desire to sleep. She calms down a bit, but she still looks around, her eyes darting around as they try to pierce the darkness surrounding them. She sits up straight, trying to discern where the noise is.

She really wishes she had some hooch on hand right now.
She had been nearly ready to awaken as she desperately called out for her when the shriek awakens her and she wakes up with a start, drawing her pistol and frantically looking around as she asks "W~What in the hell is that? A monster? An animal? It sounds like something is being killed up there!"
Aress looks up at where the sound came from.

"Maybe that thing followed us?" she offers weakly. She pulls out a couple daggers, before putting one down and picking up a rock to throw up into the branches. She checks to see if there's any movement.
 

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User
Rikku jumps up at the sound, and instinctively enters a defensive stance, looking around in the direction the cry. "What was that!?"
 

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Spoiler: Show

Notice rolls
Anna 9, -2 darkness = 7
Madeline 2, -2 darkness = 0
Rikku 11, -2 darkness = 9
Aress 3, +2 keen eyesight =5


Rikku and Anna spot the source of the weird sounds almost immediately: ten or twelve feet up a nearby tree, away to the south, a small, oval shape lurks. It's about two feet high, and the only visible features are two sinister eyes near the top, reflecting an eerie orange in the light of your small fire.

Aress, with her elven eyesight, is able to determine what the shape is once she realizes where to look. It's an owl, not unlike the great horned owls of her homeland, though this one's general appearance is different. Something about it disturbs her, but it takes a minute to realize what: the owl's eyes are not reflecting firelight. Rather, they're glowing with their own inner light, and the bird's gaze seems somehow malevolent.

As if on cue, a second owl opens its eyes, ten feet to the right of the first. As if sensing her attention, it fixes its gaze on Aress and utters one of those wailing cries, the sound chilling Aress's bones. All the strength seems to leak out of her; she feels, illogical as it may be, that she is in dire, immediate danger.

Spoiler: Show

Aress chosen by random roll.
Aress Spirit: 2
Aress takes +1d6 damage whenever she is injured, and feels she is in imminent peril of death
 

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Madeline casts her eyes out into the darkness, but she might as well be blind for all the good it does. Maybe she hasn't fully woken up yet, but she's not sure she can even see the edge of the nearby forest.

The sound of the second wailing cry does however have her try to point her pistol in that direction.
 

annakimly

Lost Deific Kitsune
Validated User
Anna hisses and as she spots the whatever it is, FLINGS a forming ball of flame into the tree wildly.... something deep down, primal, tells her kill it... and as the second one shrieks she realizes she was right, eyes combing the woods for more as her hands set alight with sparking glimmering flames... the fires glow and pulsate with life, more than the little campfire, fox-flame, living magic brought to life by the fox.... Anna hardly even recalls the dream as her heartbeat slams in her ears, a thunderous roar of drums telling her she's alive, she's free from whatever Lili is doing, and in fact is more powerful than ever before... "ここに来る獣*" She howls, her voice a mix of animal howl and a foreign tongue...

*
Spoiler: Show
"Come here Beast!"
 
Top Bottom