• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Poll] What Is Your Preferred MTG Color(s)?

What is your preferred MTG Color(s)?

• Total voters

Asklepios

Validated User
Red. It's a historical thing, as when we were at school and limited in funds, five of us picked one colour each and shared out every booster packs. No multi-coloured cards existed back then, and artifacts were dished out on a rota. A year of two of being the red guy got me in love with pace and aggression in my card gaming, and I've never looked back.

Of course like (probably) all of you, I play all colours now. But Red is still my first MTG love, and the Red philosophy has probably affected the way I play most other card games too.

13thapoc

Admiral FCS War Maiden
Validated User
Black/White. Angels,Vampires, and Weenies oh my. Rats, Lions, Warriors for quickness. Angels and Vampires for face punching and to just being able to nuke it all if need be.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
Looks like Blue is leading the way, which isn't too much of a suprise. I'm just shocked that Red didn't have a huge turn out, it always seemed so popular in the tournaments.

TechnocratJT

Want be in Avengers 5
Staff member
RPGnet Member
I’m a corporate attorney who does arts non profit stuff.

I’m esper to the core.

Also on Arena.

Asklepios

Validated User
Looks like Blue is leading the way, which isn't too much of a suprise. I'm just shocked that Red didn't have a huge turn out, it always seemed so popular in the tournaments.
I think when official polls have been run in the past blue-black tends to be the most popular. It's probably because of the functions those colours allow in game - control of the board state, clever deckbuilds and so on. Even as a fan of red, I have to admit it's all about brutal simplicity and the beatdown. Red decks might be seen as the clock against which the skilled player has to race, not the choice of the skilled player themselves.

Also, it's worth being aware that rpg.net is largely populated by veteran gamers who've been playing games for 10+ years, with probably a higher proportion of GMs to players than the general gaming population. These are the people who think about games a lot, and who are immersed in the theory of games. Blue likely appeals to that mindset in many ways, whereas Red is very much the colour of folk who don't want to create complex builds, but just want to get in there and punch face. A typical tourney crowd may not have the same demographics as rpg.net.

Not that such things are universal amongst experienced gamers, of course. Personally, simple beatdowns are what I like. GO RED! RAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
I think when official polls have been run in the past blue-black tends to be the most popular. It's probably because of the functions those colours allow in game - control of the board state, clever deckbuilds and so on. Even as a fan of red, I have to admit it's all about brutal simplicity and the beatdown. Red decks might be seen as the clock against which the skilled player has to race, not the choice of the skilled player themselves.

Also, it's worth being aware that rpg.net is largely populated by veteran gamers who've been playing games for 10+ years, with probably a higher proportion of GMs to players than the general gaming population. These are the people who think about games a lot, and who are immersed in the theory of games. Blue likely appeals to that mindset in many ways, whereas Red is very much the colour of folk who don't want to create complex builds, but just want to get in there and punch face. A typical tourney crowd may not have the same demographics as rpg.net.

Not that such things are universal amongst experienced gamers, of course. Personally, simple beatdowns are what I like. GO RED! RAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
A well deduced theory my good man. I didn't think of it that way. I am blue/black myself.

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
A typical tourney crowd may not have the same demographics as rpg.net.
Also like once you get past a certain level of competitiveness the tourney crowd starts to care less about what they're playing, and more about how effective it is. The same player could bring to one game a fiendishly complex combo deck that relies on obscure timing rules to do its thing and in another a highly aggressive beatdown deck, depending on the effectiveness of the decks in a given meta. They might still have their preferences, but if you're playing to win the big tournaments you have to play a deck that can compete at that level.

Asklepios

Validated User
Also like once you get past a certain level of competitiveness the tourney crowd starts to care less about what they're playing, and more about how effective it is. The same player could bring to one game a fiendishly complex combo deck that relies on obscure timing rules to do its thing and in another a highly aggressive beatdown deck, depending on the effectiveness of the decks in a given meta. They might still have their preferences, but if you're playing to win the big tournaments you have to play a deck that can compete at that level.
Good point. I may prefer Red, but I've never let that affect my tourney choices. I prefer to carefully select what I think the best deck for the meta is, practice it plenty and THEN lose embarrassingly.

Top Bottom