• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Poll] What Is Your Preferred MTG Color(s)?

What is your preferred MTG Color(s)?

• Total voters

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
To an extent. Reid isn't going to stop playing BGx midrange in Modern; Matt Nass isn't going to stop playing combo; Finkel will never miss an excuse to sleeve up Storm, same with Karsten and Affinity; Wescoe will have to be talked out of aggro if it has any shot at all, and Paulo Vitor has only recently tried to start talking himself into aggro.

Professional players still have their preferences - and they still let them influence what decks they bring to tournaments. It's more about the strategies and play sequences they're most comfortable executing, but the pie tends to make that synonymous with color.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
While I've basically quit playing Magic since I can self-sustain my collection in Hearthstone without paying money (which was part of the reason why I started playing it to begin with), I can say that when the meta shifts to decks I don't like in Hearthstone, I minimize playing or switch to more casual play where I can play the decks I prefer. Usually there's at least one or two that suit me. I still netdeck and all of that, but I stick to what I feel comfortable with and what I enjoy.

WorldSaverInc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I prefer Green! Hardcore, I am a green player.

Give me creatures and lands baby! Although, I would say I am a tribal player first and foremost, but otherwise green including Green-based control strategies like land destruction. Obviously since Green is my favorite color. Blue is my least favorite color, boo on counter spells.

I like Green and then maybe Green/Red or Green/Black and Orzhov as my favorite 2 color combinations with Abzan being my favorite 3 color combination hands down.

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think when official polls have been run in the past blue-black tends to be the most popular. It's probably because of the functions those colours allow in game - control of the board state, clever deckbuilds and so on. Even as a fan of red, I have to admit it's all about brutal simplicity and the beatdown. Red decks might be seen as the clock against which the skilled player has to race, not the choice of the skilled player themselves.

Also, it's worth being aware that rpg.net is largely populated by veteran gamers who've been playing games for 10+ years, with probably a higher proportion of GMs to players than the general gaming population. These are the people who think about games a lot, and who are immersed in the theory of games. Blue likely appeals to that mindset in many ways, whereas Red is very much the colour of folk who don't want to create complex builds, but just want to get in there and punch face. A typical tourney crowd may not have the same demographics as rpg.net.

Not that such things are universal amongst experienced gamers, of course. Personally, simple beatdowns are what I like. GO RED! RAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
As MaRo himself has repeatedly noted, the more enfranchised players (which covers who answers most polls you'll ran into online, including ones by WotC themselves (& that's why they put efforts into doing other kinds of very different market research, too)) veer towards Blue. As said, that doesn't mean that΄s what they'll only play, just what they identify with.

Then add how Blue has historically been a strong color, which has its effect on Commander & eternal formats, & that players, unsurprisingly, are generally drawn to what's perceived as strong or how aggro / Red decks are seen as newb stuff that plays itself (where, in reality, playing an aggro deck well can be very skill-testing, just in ways different than what's usually seen as 'skill-testing' - ask the ProTour players).

Last edited:

SpaceNinja

Validated User
Then add how Blue has historically been a strong color, which has its effect on Commander & eternal formats, & that, well, players, unsurprisingly, are generally drawn to what's perceived as strong or how aggro / Red decks are seen as newb stuff that plays itself (where, in reality, playing an aggro deck well can be very skill-testing, just in ways different than what's usually seen as 'skill-testing' - ask the ProTour players).
Agreed. Red can have many micro decisions that have a macro impact.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
I'm really not sure. I'm currently playing a ramp-based Gates deck featuring everything but Black (mostly green for ramp and Gatebreaker Ram, with blue for Mass Manipulation and Expansion//Explosion, and Hydroid Krasis is also a deck favorite for UG), and I've had great fun with UG Merfolk, so I guess it would be Simic for me.

Top Bottom