• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Poll] Your Favorite RPG Genre

What are your favorite RPG genres?

• Total voters

jorganos

Validated User
Fantasy (but not the cheesy bog standard stuff except when using a sufficiently close to literature setting). I'm at home in Glorantha.

SF - space opera, maybe some transhumanism, some advanced tech if you have interstellar empires (Traveller tech was a huge bummer to me. The Traveller universe with Other Suns technology), or something at The Expanse or Firefly level. Low on magic (psi without regard for physics). Jedi techniques are already borderline, but then Star Wars is fine in the fantasy genre.

Modern in the sense of urban fantasy, including a manageable dose of Cthulhu, or near future SF. Steam Punk wasn't an option, unless that was what Punk stood for (I chose to read that as Jerry Cornelius or low-tech Cyberpunk).

Faethor

Validated User
Post Apoc for me, though I rarely run it or play it.

I'm not really into the gonzo mutations or super crazy stuff but I lean away from uber grimness (like dirty nuke apocalypse's) but the idea of the 'new wild frontier' - the wipe away the old systems/create something new - to explore, build, innovate, survive and thrive in? Count me in.

By far my favourite genre.

Little Rabbit Foo Foo

Validated User
I voted for Fantasy, Super Hero, and Horror, although I think I might have to qualify my "horror" choice.

I like games/settings with the trappings of horror, such as Lovecraftian entities or zombies or classic Hammer-film monters or the like. But when played by my group such settings end up more comedic than horrific and the death and violence in such games ending up as "splatstick". So my "horror" ends up like Evil Dead 2 or Brain Dead/Dead Alive. That's not a criticism - that's how I like my horror games to be.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Post Apocalyptic Science (fiction) Fantasy with a touch of Horror.

Horror is sometimes good at bringing awe when Fantasy fails. It is just a different sort of awe.

kronovan

Validated User
For "Punk", I'm assuming you're referring to the genres that use that term as a suffix: cyberpunk, steampunk, dieselpunk, etc - that correct? If that's the case, that would be my second choice. Pulp is what I GM more than any other genre though, so no vote from me.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
For "Punk", I'm assuming you're referring to the genres that use that term as a suffix: cyberpunk, steampunk, dieselpunk, etc - that correct? If that's the case, that would be my second choice. Pulp is what I GM more than any other genre though, so no vote from me.
That's correct, since I was limited on choices...

Top Bottom