• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Poll] Your Favorite RPG Genre

What are your favorite RPG genres?

• Total voters

Occam's Spork

be seeing you.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Fantasy. Though I love the other options, Fantasy is just easier to get a group together to play consistently. More people are comfortable with it, esp casual or new players, and the game is just easier to run for me.

I'll PLAY anything. I'm still waiting for a certain person, who may or may not be an RPG.net poster (cough Mantisking Mantisking ), to run their damn Into the Spiderverse game that he said he was going to run for us months ago.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
Honestly? I don't get to play it nearly enough because most systems don't work well for me. Modern Action Hero. I love horror and fantasy but a modern action hero/espionage game? Oh hell yes.

Endless Rain

Validated User
Other.

While I do like Fantasy and Superhero, it's more because they tend to be the genres that comes closest to having the kitchen sink I'd really like to see.
I think these two genres take the best advantage of the RPG format. RPGs work very, very well at modeling characters with special abilities like magic or superpowers. It doesn't do as well at modeling equipment as a major element, which is a problem for sci-fi games because the genre is literally built around technologically advanced equipment. I still really like sci-fi, which is why I voted for it, but Sci-Fi RPGs almost always run into major problems (especially if starships are involved) that aren't really an issue in other Sci-Fi media.

Horror/Paranormal/Modern/Historical - the real Earth with weird bits, essentially.
I voted identically. The Earth rocks.

Huh. Looks like we're polar opposites. I picked Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Post Apocalyptic/Superhero specifically because I don't like using a real-world setting.

Agemegos

All out of spoons
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There are no options for "mystery", "thriller", "police procedural", "espionage & clandestine ops", or "court intrigue"

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
There are no options for "mystery", "thriller", "police procedural", "espionage & clandestine ops", or "court intrigue"
That's correct. There is apparently a limit on poll choices when creating a poll. All those sub-genres sound good, although I've had enough real life police procedurals and courtroom drama to last a lifetime...

Agemegos

All out of spoons
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What is "punk", other than a music genre and aesthetic fashion of the 1980s?

Top Bottom