• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Poll] Your Favorite RPG Genre

What are your favorite RPG genres?

• Total voters

RadioKen

well versed in chalupa law
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I voted for Fantasy, Historical, Sci-Fi, and Supers. Had they been there I would also have voted for Hero-Pulp (which I suppose might be deemed a subset of Supers, but I consider it separate) and Comedy.

Adam Reynolds

Validated User
What is "punk", other than a music genre and aesthetic fashion of the 1980s?
It refers to genres like cyberpunk, steampunk, or biopunk that explore the darker side of technology than most other science fiction or fantasy worlds. There is obvious a great deal of overlap with other science fiction and occasionally fantasy worlds. Avatar The Last Airbender is Wuxia high fantasy but has steampunk elements, Mass Effect is space opera but has cyberpunk elements. Person of Interest or Mr. Robot are set in the modern day but effectively cyberpunk otherwise(perhaps they should be called smartphone cyberpunk).

One interesting but rarely used term is rocketpunk, refering to the 1950s style of science fiction that generally assumed we would be in space by now. I've only really seen it on this blog.

filigree

or thereabouts
Validated User
I think “‘punk” in this context traditionally meant something like fighting the powers that be, railing against authority, kicking against the pricks, etc.

Or, it was intended to mean that. Just how “punk” any given ‘punk fiction/game might’ve been, even going back a while.. well. It varied, let’s just say.

MrJupiter

Validated User
For myself, it's Sci-Fi as number one. Super Hero is my number two, and the Horror genre as the last of my "favourites". DnD-styled fantasy is still a great choice for me, but not enough to qualify to rank among my first three.

Adam Reynolds

Validated User
I think “‘punk” in this context traditionally meant something like fighting the powers that be, railing against authority, kicking against the pricks, etc.

Or, it was intended to mean that. Just how “punk” any given ‘punk fiction/game might’ve been, even going back a while.. well. It varied, let’s just say.
In theory this is what it means, but in practice it barely applies. As much of the cyberpunk genre is actually post-cyberpunk as it is regular cyberpunk, while steampunk generally has a much stronger sense of a cool future that never was.

Catharsis Cat

Live Action Anime Girl
Validated User
These categories don't nedsrcarily line up with my preferences:

I of course like fantasy. It's just a nice default for RPGs that works due to built in assumptions.

But I also like mash-up type settings. Deadlands, Rifts, whatever. They aren't one genre so much as they are world's full of cool stuff.

And I guess I like urban fantasy type stuff. I mean I guess that's the link between World of Darkness and Shadowrun, both of which interest me. World like ours +cool shit? Yes please.

I like anime-ish stuff in the form of Teenagers from Outerspace. Watch a decent amount of anime and like the funny.

And I guess I am willing to try some martial arts, superhero or sci-fi/cyberpunk/post apocalypse stuff. It's just unfamiliar territory for me.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would like a write in for Fantasy Nippon.

I do like Three Musketeer Era fencing historicals (and historicals with a touch of paranormal). The same goes for martial arts emphasis moderns and near moderns. Still too many genres for the poll to cover everything.

Clark

Ensign 9th Class
Validated User
I'd be lying if I didn't say that, as much as I love sci fi and supers, my heart is in wizards and elves and plate armor and big honking swords D&D style fantasy.

Top Bottom