• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Poll] Your Favorite RPG Genre

What are your favorite RPG genres?

• Total voters

zanshin

Validated User
Fantasy horror post apocalypse. Unsurprisingly I love the Midnight setting if not the system.

Happy with modern fantasy horror as well.

Will play anything that friends lay on, but favourite is big damn heroes facing off against eldritch horror.

Simon Marks

hot DAMN!
Validated User
Swashbuckling.

Also, I like things such as Ars Magica and Mage:TA and other such ... not quite fantasy, not quite historical, so more paranormal than anything else.

Also, Superheros - and I explicitly include Exalted style games in that. They are basically Fantasy Superheros and I love it.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What's Nippon?
Japan. Nippon is one of the older translations for Japan in Japanese. Nihon is another. This would be gaming in an early to late feudal game with Samurai (knights), Budoka (martial artists, usually peasant), Gaushko (priest), Yakuza (gambler/ criminal), and Shugenja (kenja/ magic practitioner) with castles, cherry blossoms, and the threat of ninja and oni in the background.

Last edited:

DisquesOfDoom

Validated User
My favorite is Sci-Fi Horror, so I voted for both of those. While I run games in many genres, I always seem to end up going back to sci-fi horror most frequently.

flump

Validated User
I voted for Modern, but I kind of just want every game I play to be “the Wire + X”. Can Wire be a genre? = p
I agree completely! It's like a multi-dimensional axis, where "genre" is just one component. At our table, we tend to do "Heist +X" almost all the time!

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I voted for "Punk" under the assumption that we're talking "cyberpunk" or steampunk" or something like that. I don't know if I've ever see a straight-up punk game :)

phatonin

Chaos is a bladder
Validated User
Hmmm.... None of the options really quite seems to cover pulp adventure.
I voted "Fantasy" as a proxy for "Sword & Sorcery".

I play RPG once or twice a year, my friends and I have very little time for prepping and immersing, and we found that S&S was the easiest genre to get into with little effort. Lazy fantasy (with elves and orcs) works for us too. Of course we are in our 40's and I suspect that these genres match the media we've been fed in our childhood and youth.

Interestingly enough, I enjoy fantasy on the gaming table, but so much on the screen, and even less in print.

I voted for "Punk" under the assumption that we're talking "cyberpunk" or steampunk" or something like that. I don't know if I've ever see a straight-up punk game :)
I guess that many post-apoc settings could fit the "punk" qualifier.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I voted for Modern, but I kind of just want every game I play to be “the Wire + X”. Can Wire be a genre? = p
I agree completely! It's like a multi-dimensional axis, where "genre" is just one component. At our table, we tend to do "Heist +X" almost all the time!
Really, Modern is a setting rather than genre. Espionage, Pulp Adventure, Urban Fantasy, and Superheroes, are genres most often set in the modern milieu.

Top Bottom