• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Poll] Your Favorite RPG Genre

What are your favorite RPG genres?

• Total voters

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
Japan. Nippon is one of the older translations for Japan in Japanese. Nihon is another. This would be gaming in an early to late feudal game with Samurai (knights), Budoka (martial artists, usually peasant), Gaushko (priest), Yakuza (gambler/ criminal), and Shugenja (kenja/ magic practitioner) with castles, cherry blossoms, and the threat of ninja and oni in the background.
This sounds awesome!

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
I voted for "Punk" under the assumption that we're talking "cyberpunk" or steampunk" or something like that. I don't know if I've ever see a straight-up punk game :)
Yeah, I was limited on how many selections I could put, so I just grouped "punk" together. I allowed multiple votes to help refine selections too.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
Not campaigns, usually just one-shots. Generally involving a few main inspirations remixed in different ways, usually cosmic horror evolving into body horror as we progress through the session, like Event Horizon or Dead Space.
I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas on the genre. In fact you gave me the inspiration to start this thread!
🎨 Creative [Idea Factory] Sci-Fi Horror Plotlines
Would love to hear from you!👍

Agemegos

All out of spoons
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hmmm.... None of the options really quite seems to cover pulp adventure.
Yeah, and "Western" is a rather geographically-limited and thematically-limited slice of mid-to-late Victorian adventure. The era from the advent of the steamship to that of the passenger jet is rich with adventuring possibilities. Goes under "Historical".

Agemegos

All out of spoons
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Really, Modern is a setting rather than genre. Espionage, Pulp Adventure, Urban Fantasy, and Superheroes, are genres most often set in the modern milieu.
Yes, and "historical" is dozens of settings. You can have fantasy, adventure, espionage, action, military, mystery, exploration etc. stories in mediaeval Japan, mediaeval or ancient China, ancient India, the mediaeval East Indies, the pre-Hellenistic Levant, the Roman Empire, that Malian Empire, Pharaonic Egypt, Mayan Mexico, Inca Peru, he pre-Columbian Amazon on Mississippi, Saxon England, France during the Angevin Wars, the Ottonian HRE, Renaissance Italy, Byzantine Greece, in the 16th-century Caribbean, at the court of Louis XIII, during the Napoleonic Wars, between Port Moresby and Oporto between 1922 and 1936….

Last edited:

LatinaBunny

Viera Healer
Validated User
Aren’t those old pulp magazines in a variety of genres? So maybe pulp is like their sub-genres? It’s just a type of trope, isn’t it? It’s still fantasy or sci-fi or generic adventure.

Maybe adventure as a genre, if you want the ones in modern settings.

I’n thinking of what would a pulp-like adventure book be placed in a books store like my local Barnes and Noble. They would be placed under generic Fiction (or maybe Literature), if the stories take place in a modern setting, and under the Fantasy/Sci-fi section if the stories have speculative fiction elements of some sort. Maybe mystery, if there is a very strong mystery element? Could the supernatural/paranormal pulps considered Horror or Fantasy/Science Fiction? If it’s a comic book, obviously Comics & Graphic Novels or Manga.

I think Adventure (for modern setting) and Sci-fi/Fantasy (for speculative) might be the best generic wide categories for pulp, if there is no “pulp-y” category.

Edited to add: Either way, Fantasy and Sci-fi would still win this poll, regardless, and there are pulp stories within the Fantasy and Scifi categories, if there is no specific Pulp section. For the sake of this specific Poll, if I wanted to have pulp, I would choose the pool choices of Modern, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and maybe Horror.

Last edited:

Vincent Takeda

Chilllin in Rifts Denmark
Validated User
Supers is the genre for me. While I do like post apocalyptic, if there's one genre I avoid like the plague, its 'grimdark'. 'Adventure and exploration' is the hallmark of the systems I play. Zombie apocalypse seems to be the only grimdark I don't have a problem with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom