• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Possible Let's Play] Rule the Waves 2: any interest?

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, Rule the Waves 2 just came out. It's a massively grog-tastic game that puts you in the shoes of the Chief of the Navy for one of the great powers starting in either 1900 or 1920; with the goal being to manage said navy's shipbuilding; design boards; R&D; logistics; strategy; and tactics. You are opposed in this by the Navy's greatest opponents: your nation's Army and its politicians - both idiotic rulers and the armchair admirals who are sure they can do your job better than you can, because they read a book on Horatio Nelson once. Oh, and the other Great Powers, who refuse to just get out of the way and let you run the Seas personally. You win if you can keep your nation alive and kicking until 1955. You lose if you get conquered, or if you screw up badly enough to get shitcanned.

This game has a lot going against it, it must be stated. The tutorial is nonexistant; the interface is opaque; the battle controls are fiddly; the presentation is more Spreadsheets Online than EVE; and the graphics are most charitably described as "minimalist."

But oh dear god is it entertaining. I've gotten a couple games under my belt (including one where I won!) and have a handle on things, and am in the mood for some LPing... would there be any interest in me running a Let's Play of this here? I'd be taking suggestions for what nation we play as; what research paths to go for; and how to handle various problems that arise. Let me know, folks.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would probably follow, and as an avid player myself maybe try to contribute, though I'm somewhat involved in another LP at the current time so I can't promise I wouldn't burn out on them.

Is Rule the Waves 2 better than the first Rule the Waves?

-G
It's basically the first one with the time period extended to 1950 and expanded to include aircraft, so it follows the same general shift away from giant battleships to carriers as real world history.

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Okay, looks like there's some interest here... Time to take the first step: who should we play as?

The options are:

Great Britain Pros: The Royal Navy, in 1900 is the greatest navy in the world. Big budget; good shipbuilding facilities to start with. Cons: you have to cover a HUGE number of assorted foreign holdings and stations so you're spread very thin.

France Pros: Solid budget; a number of overseas holdings but not too many to spread out to. Cons: your initial shipbuilding facilities don't have the greatest capacties and your politicians are annoyingly inconsistent.

Germany Pros: the Kaiserreich has not yet fallen, and it can be possible to keep it from doing so; good budget; and some solid German Efficiency for your R&D. Cons: Initial shipbuilding facilities are kinda crap and even if you can keep the Kaiser propped up, he's a bombastic jackass who creates problems for you.

Russia Pros: Big budget. Cons: your educational system is crap which hurts R&D, your shipbuilding industry is underdeveloped, and you have to cover holdings in the Pacific as well as Northern Europe.

Italy Pros: Not too many overseas holdings to spread out and hold; and once naval air power comes into play you can turn the Med into a giant airstrip and hit everyone who comes in with a big old swarm of BEEEES. Cons: Your government and industry are corrupt; your educational base is iffy; and the politicians don't believe in being consistent in how they handle the navy.

Austria-Hungary Pros: no overseas holdings to try and cover in the early game, and the advantages of the Med apply to you as well. Cons: A-H is the sick man of europe at this point in history and your budget is crap. Also, you're rather pinned in the back of the Med.

United States of America Pros: Huge budget; giant economy powering it; tech advantages; and while you have some foreign holdings it's not so many that you're stretched thin. Cons: You DO have to cover stuff in both the Atlantic and Pacific, and getting ships from one ocean to the other is a pain until the Panama Canal opens.

Japan Pros: Research advantages in torpedoes and aviation; and the very potent "Surprise Attack" ability if someone starts shit with you. Cons: your initial shipbuilding industry is crap and your budget is small.

And, finally, technically there's one more: if you want to get really ahistorical you can play as the Confederate States of America (if you don't pick this they don't spawn) who have a good budget but shitty shipbuilding industry. I've never given them a go, and I don't suspect anyone here would be interested, but I mention them in the interest of completeness.

anowack

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Austria seems most interesting to me, if you're confident in running with what seems like a quite bad start. Otherwise, Italy or France would be my vote.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I like the France then Austria thought. Russia might be interesting, but I'd rather see a nation that's at least somewhat capable of research...

EDIT: Though I'm not sure what navy-boss is supposed to do to keep France safe in 1940.

Top Bottom