• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Post-Apocalypse] Soft-prep Game

m111

Validated User
flatpack is.... not quite about this but its close. Being a game about going out in the wild and bringing back templates to build up your city, with a specific anti combat focus.

Dromio

Validated User
Savage Worlds' Broken Earth has some rules around that kind of thing. Building up your post apoc community etc.

DavetheLost

Validated User
Aftermath! could certainly be played that way.

The End didn't focus much on combat when we played it. It was a very different post apocalypse game. For one thing it was literally post Apocalypse with a capital A. The Blues made for an interesting twist as relics of the world before underwent selective accelerated entropy.

Nate_MI

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
I own both MYZ and Legacy. I agree that it would be hard to run MYZ as pure combat; you'd be losing three or four core skills, and a bunch of Talents (not to mention about half the Gear chapter...). I think Legacy could work well as a non-combat game, though, about as well as any PBTA game. I could easily see running it with crises like plague and crop failure rather that kaiju attack.
Are you looking for a Soft Apocalypse game, like the novel, or where we may be headed? Or are you looking for post-apoc where you don't have to fight?
I don't know the novel. I'm looking for post-apocalypse games where non-combat activities and skills are as valued as purely combat-oriented ones.

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
Aftermath! could certainly be played that way.

The End didn't focus much on combat when we played it. It was a very different post apocalypse game. For one thing it was literally post Apocalypse with a capital A. The Blues made for an interesting twist as relics of the world before underwent selective accelerated entropy.
The Blues?

DavetheLost

Validated User
That is what it was called. Man-made items and infrastructure decayed as the world returned to nature. The decay was faster than would be normally expected, but could happen at variable rates. It was an interesting idea. Definitely not a hard realism game.

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
Last edited:

Preterite

No Future
Validated User
Seconding Aftermath. It has plenty of skills covering everything from dirt farming to weaving. There's rules for determing how much of a scavenged food item is still edible, and how much nutritional value there is in a giant mutant cockroach.

Now, it's an RPG from the 80's, so all this gets comparatively few pages compared to the excrutiating detail provided for combat. But I think there's enough to make such matters the focus of a campaign.

Top Bottom