Postage & Packaging

Chris J

Validated User
More for the UK crowd this one.

Royal Mail charge £2.95 for a second class parcel what can weigh up 2.2lbs. But, certain online web stores charge almost £4.50 for a 32 page soft cover booklet sent 2nd class, with Royal Mail. This has prevented me from buying a few books in the past.

I'm not sure at all how these prices are set so any info would be welcome.

EDIT: I apologise if this is in the wrong forum.

g33k

Banned
Validated User
I think it's fine here; might be equally at home in Tangency, but whatev's ... ;)

I think some places slap on a bit of their own handling fees. Their employee's time, packing materials, etc. Because they're actually doing more, taking more time, than just ringing up an item you carried up to the counter.

OTOH, what do I know... I'm just a foolish colonial. No doubt things are far more civilized on the other side of the pond.

Jerry D. Grayson

Putting the f-u in FUN
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think it's fine here; might be equally at home in Tangency, but whatev's ... ;)

I think some places slap on a bit of their own handling fees. Their employee's time, packing materials, etc. Because they're actually doing more, taking more time, than just ringing up an item you carried up to the counter.

OTOH, what do I know... I'm just a foolish colonial. No doubt things are far more civilized on the other side of the pond.
You're spot on. Handling fees are tacked on top of the actual shipping cost, especially with smaller publishers.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
Packages & Paperboys a pen and paper rpg powered by Fate!

I could see it. Needs a sinister twist, like the neighborhood animals are intelligent trying to stop incoming mail thinking it will disrupt humanity enough that they can take over the world.

xrayzed

Transfixed
Validated User
Packages & Paperboys a pen and paper rpg powered by Fate!

I could see it. Needs a sinister twist, like the neighborhood animals are intelligent trying to stop incoming mail thinking it will disrupt humanity enough that they can take over the world.
With the right combination of challenge and humour I’d play that.

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
You're spot on. Handling fees are tacked on top of the actual shipping cost, especially with smaller publishers.
Yep, bubble wrap, tape and packaging needs to be paid for. Costs add up when you are a small business. Takes time to parcel up and go to the post office, and to go and buy supplies, gotta factor my fuel cost in if driving and a host of other things. I used to own a bookshop and tried my best to keep costs to a bare minimum.

Top Bottom