• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Postage & Packaging

BlackSpike

Validated User
I think it's fine here; might be equally at home in Tangency, but whatev's ... ;)

I think some places slap on a bit of their own handling fees. Their employee's time, packing materials, etc. Because they're actually doing more, taking more time, than just ringing up an item you carried up to the counter.

OTOH, what do I know... I'm just a foolish colonial. No doubt things are far more civilized on the other side of the pond.
Indeed so.
Postage & Packing.
"Packing" includes not only the physical materials (envelope, padding, cardboard, etc), but a person's time to Pack the item, and get it to the Post Office/Courier.

The shop I worked in had a side-line eBay-ing CDs, and time/cost of Packing was non-trivial.

Mr Blobby

Validated User
Random observations of Blobby's sibling - online small seller... [the ones not already mentioned, that is]

- With the huge shrinkage of the Post Office network, taking your packages to be posted can be much more a hassle. What for Blobby Sibling used to be a '10 min drive, free parking, dedicated counter' is now a '20 min drive, charged parking, mini-counter and with 2x the amount of customers'. I've seen them more than once go out to 'send off the items' and return the best part of 2 hours later.

- Sometimes, you don't know exactly the cost of the P&P until you're literally standing at the counter and they tell you. But - you have to tell the buyer the costs in advance. Therefore, Blobby Sibling has worked out a general 'P&P rates' in which while they might 'overcharge' some people [like Chris's softback] it subsidises the times they've undercharged. This is known in the trade as 'cross-subsidisation'. Blobby Sibling doesn't actually make a profit on this part - merely avoids losses.

- Similar can be said for packaging. Blobby Sibling takes pride in doing their packing well - they've never, ever had a 'broken item' return/refund, and they've sold glass and china. I've seen them fuss over a odd-sized/fragile item for a best part of half-hour - from trying to locate a suitable box to ensuring it was waterproof.

silburnl

Validated User
Royal Mail charge £2.95 for a second class parcel what can weigh up 2.2lbs.
Correction: Small parcels can be up to 2kg (4.4 lb).

I know this 'cuz it bit me when I was selling some old books last month (turns out that Pendragon 4th plus three scenario books together weighed something like 2050g - which was a bit galling, but lesson learned for next time).

Other than that, what everyone else says about time & materials costs for parcelling stuff up - fortunately my closest PO counter is a short walk rather a 20 minute drive, so I don't have BlobbySibling's issues, but it all adds up. If I was selling RPG books as a job rather than simply eBaying a bunch of my old stuff off to rationalise my shelfspace, I'd factor that in to my p&p quotes.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
Packages & Paperboys a pen and paper rpg powered by Fate!

I could see it. Needs a sinister twist, like the neighborhood animals are intelligent trying to stop incoming mail thinking it will disrupt humanity enough that they can take over the world.
Can I make a postal delivery person who's also a ninja? Nothing says, "I'm delivering your packages despite a veritable army of belligerent, super intelligent animals," like someone who can disappear in a puff of smoke.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
Can I make a postal delivery person who's also a ninja? Nothing says, "I'm delivering your packages despite a veritable army of belligerent, super intelligent animals," like someone who can disappear in a puff of smoke.
I thought about that immediately because I am working on a homebrew Fate Ninja Burger game. So naturally I was like" Ninja Postal Service, NPS delivers same day or less!

g33k

Validated User
I thought about that immediately because I am working on a homebrew Fate Ninja Burger game. So naturally I was like" Ninja Postal Service, NPS delivers same day or less!
RPGnet'er, reading a "Sell Me" thread: "Oh hey, that book sounds awesome! Gonna order it right away!"
Unknown voice: "Living-room bookcase. Second shelf down. Left-most item."
RPGnet'er, fallen out of chair in front of computer: "WTF??!?! Where did YOU come from?"
Black-clad figure, source of Unknown voice: "Ninja Postal Service. Tell your cat -- nice try." <throws smoke bomb, vanishes>

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
RPGnet'er, reading a "Sell Me" thread: "Oh hey, that book sounds awesome! Gonna order it right away!"
RPGnet'er, fallen out of chair in front of computer: "WTF??!?! Where did YOU come from?"
Black-clad figure, source of Unknown voice: "Ninja Postal Service. Tell your cat -- nice try." <throws smoke bomb, vanishes>
You've nearly perfectly captured what was inside my head.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
Meanwhile back at the distribution office.

Postal Boss: "But the customer saw you! I'm docking your pay this week."

Ninja: "You can't do that!"

Postal Boss: "Watch me."

Ninja: "Seriously, you can't do that. I'm union."

Postal Boss: "Damn you and your unions! Fine, but I choose who gets which delivery. Remember Ms. Jenkins? She ordered a new <item redacted> and it needs delivered."

Ninja: "Aw no, boss c'mon please... not Ms. Jenkins. Fifty cats... Fifty."

Top Bottom