• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Price point on HC RPG Books

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
For a long time $50 seemed to be the price holder for new hardcover rpgs.
Then WHFPRP 4th edition came out and I paid $60 for the first time for a single book (not a deluxe edition or limited or slipcase).
Now I see the new edition of the Cypher System is out EDIT coming up in September. Mind you, it's 446 pages, beefy to be sure.
But it's listed at $70.

Wow.
Have we really popped the level here? Is this the new level of what's expected of pricing?ut

Last edited:

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
For a long time $50 seemed to be the price holder for new hardcover rpgs.
Then WHFPRP 4th edition came out and I paid $60 for the first time for a single book (not a deluxe edition or limited or slipcase).
Now I see the new edition of the Cypher System is out. Mind you, it's 446 pages, beefy to be sure.
But it's listed at $70.

Wow.
Have we really popped the level here? Is this the new level of what's expected of pricing?
Eh? $60 has been the standard since like 2010. D&D is the only game I can think of that consistently had $50 books.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
Here I've been thinking that the price of gaming books in general has been pretty stagnant for decades, not even keeping up with inflation. Or I guess that typical prices have more or less kept up with inflation, but both the size and quality have been increasing, so it amounts to the same thing.

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
Yeah, 60$ doesn't really feel that expensive/unusual.
That's about 53€, and 59€ (66$) isn't something I find even a bit out of the ordinary.

It's still dirt-cheap for the amount of work going into it, and the amount of use we get out of it.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
Books have been running between 50 and 60 dollars for a core book. Some books cost less but they honestly don't seem to have a complete game in them. You need to purchase a second book in order to actually use it correctly so the price point is higher.

Of course, this is in US dollars. :)

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
I guess I really haven't been buying a lot of print editions until lately when the stuff I've really wanted has come out.
But on a budget, I gotta draw a line somewhere.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
I guess I really haven't been buying a lot of print editions until lately when the stuff I've really wanted has come out.
But on a budget, I gotta draw a line somewhere.
I get that. I honestly have come to the realization is that if a HC book is going to $50 US, I really need to make sure that I'm going to use it somewhere down the line. I've made a few bad purchases recently thinking that the book would see play and it simply hasn't.

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
I get that. I honestly have come to the realization is that if a HC book is going to $50 US, I really need to make sure that I'm going to use it somewhere down the line. I've made a few bad purchases recently thinking that the book would see play and it simply hasn't.
I stopped buying blind after the Green Ronin SOIAF GoT edition HC had an entire chapter misprinted.

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
Just went looking through my books. The original Cypher System book is $59.99

Gods of the Fall, a thinish splat book, was $44.99

Pathfinder 1e was also $59.99...

So yeah, I'm thinking that's been how it is for a while.

On another note, what's this about the new Cypher being out? The Kickstarter backers haven't gotten that yet so I'm hoping you just meant it's up for preorder? :p

Top Bottom