• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Price point on HC RPG Books

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Books don't crash, need electricity to use or run out of power at inopportune moments. My money goes further in the secondary market. I prefer physical books to pdf.
On the other hand, the number of books I have on my tablet would fill a room; the number I have on my laptop would fill a building.

El Ravager34

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't have general problem with the price of hardcover books these days. However, I DO have a problem with books with less than stellar bindings. I owned 2 copies of the fake leather 1st ed of Aces & Eights, and the cover came completely off both copies. I'm not talking about some pages came loose, or there being a gap between the binding and pages...

I'm talking about how I held the still bound together pages of Aces & Eights in one hand and the front and back cover in my other hand. When a game wants me to pay up for a hardcover, I'm willing to do so. However, they had better be able to last more than a year! Now, there have been other books that were like this (the first printing of 4E GURPS Characters and Campaigns book for example), but the higher price of A&E makes me use it as my example.

I bought my 1st ed AD&D Players Handbook back in 1982, and it was used when I bought it. I still have it and the pages are as tight in their binding today as they were 37 years ago! Show me some quality binding like that and I would be happy to pay big bucks for all the RPGs today. However, for the more expensive hardcovers... Until I have heard others mention the physical quality of a book itself, I will either tend to grab a softcover if available or just pass entirely on a game until I do hear good things.

I have many PDFs that I do not own in physical form, and its often because they aren't available in physical form. Like I said though, I do prefer physical books as the 385 3.X/D20 compatible books on my shelves will attest to (3rd party and just about every WotC book ever printed). I have over 100 Call of Cthulhu books, and at last count roughly 200 GURPS books all in print. This doesn't touch all the 100's of other games that I might have 2 to 5 books for, nor does it count B/E/C/M/I or AD&D.

E.T.Smith

A Most Sincere Poseur
Validated User
Excellent table herein shows us... that pages per dollar and word count per constant dollar indicate that 5e from Amazon is a really good deal.
Words-per-dollar is a pretty blunt and tone-deaf metric to pin value on. A thousand pages of pure text for free is a waste if it's boring and never gets used in play, while a four page pamphlet is priceless if it inspires and gives ideas for years of campaigns.

SibKhatru

Validated User
Sure let’s hold constant the usability of the majority of the core books from the editions, though original and first edition was a disaster and someways.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Binding quality in this hobby has been hit-or-miss for a loooong time, if not from day one; I remember some of the bindings on some of my old WoD books going fast.

Saint Michael

Validated User
If they were Wraith books, it may have been the printing company's fault. Most of my books bindings are fine, even if they're twenty years old.

Tom B

Validated User
Books don't crash, need electricity to use or run out of power at inopportune moments. My money goes further in the secondary market. I prefer physical books to pdf.
Not sure of your experience, but I've never had a tablet crash. Having owned a cell phone for years, I also know better than to let it run out of power. So in the years since I switched primarily to PDFs those have been total non-issues. PDFs don't get cracked spines, stained or torn pages, or have pages decide to fall out...so it really just comes down to personal preference.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
If they were Wraith books, it may have been the printing company's fault. Most of my books bindings are fine, even if they're twenty years old.
I don't think so. My copy of Wraith never got enough handling for it to be an issue. I'd bet it was part of the Mage line.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Not sure of your experience, but I've never had a tablet crash. Having owned a cell phone for years, I also know better than to let it run out of power. So in the years since I switched primarily to PDFs those have been total non-issues. PDFs don't get cracked spines, stained or torn pages, or have pages decide to fall out...so it really just comes down to personal preference.
Its not a complete nonissue, but its not like some of the circumstances where it can be (extended use of a laptop or tablet when you left the power cord at home) can't be the equivalent (you just flat out forgot the one book you now need). And if you don't have power at all--well, most of the time you need this "light" thing...

Saint Michael

Validated User
I lived in a place where the electricity went out every single winter for extended periods of time. It would've been an issue. Plus it rained all winter. It's a miracle our desktop survived. PDFs are still better than nothing though.

Top Bottom