• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Price point on HC RPG Books

mac40k

Validated User
On the other hand, the number of books I have on my tablet would fill a room; the number I have on my laptop would fill a building.
Amen brother! When I reduced my possessions to my dog and a suitcase, I was still able to take my library with me.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I lived in a place where the electricity went out every single winter for extended periods of time. It would've been an issue. Plus it rained all winter. It's a miracle our desktop survived. PDFs are still better than nothing though.
I'm just not seeing being able to run a game when you have extended power outages as being too practical almost anywhere.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm just not seeing being able to run a game when you have extended power outages as being too practical almost anywhere.
I don't see why not - if you're prepared for extended power outages you probably have other light sources - battery powered LED lights can put out a lot of light, and candles are available in a pinch. Alternately, you can just run the game during daylight hours on a weekend.

Knaight

Validated User
LEDs are solid. Candles are more of a desperate measures situation, and daylight hours on a weekend requires some very specific availability conditions.

Saint Michael

Validated User
We own a dozen kerosene lamps and lots of candles. Lighting was fine. A kindle would've likely run out of power when trying to read an rpg book though.

Last edited:

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I don't see why not - if you're prepared for extended power outages you probably have other light sources - battery powered LED lights can put out a lot of light, and candles are available in a pinch. Alternately, you can just run the game during daylight hours on a weekend.
And if that's all you have, I can have a backup power supply for a tablet, too. Between that and the normal power supply on my tablet, I could easily run it for the length of a game.

(Though daylight only helps so much; I've been in plenty of places where unless you wanted to play outside, not enough daylight could be let into a room to be able to reliably read things without eyestrain).

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah, it's really not that difficult to keep a tablet going for an extended period, if you need to, between high-capacity powerbanks (not to mention ones with solar panels), power-saving features, and the like. While not as good for most gaming books, if your taste runs to the more plainly formatted ones or you have MOBI versions, a Kindle is even better as the e-paper sips battery compared to an active screen.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Yeah, it's really not that difficult to keep a tablet going for an extended period, if you need to, between high-capacity powerbanks (not to mention ones with solar panels), power-saving features, and the like. While not as good for most gaming books, if your taste runs to the more plainly formatted ones or you have MOBI versions, a Kindle is even better as the e-paper sips battery compared to an active screen.
This doesn't mean anyone is required to consider digital as superior to books mind you; I just think in most situations where power is liable to be a serious issue, anything but playing outside during daylight hours is going to get questionable too (and some of those places will make that impractical because the same times when power is an issue, its because of weather in part).

Top Bottom