• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[PS4] Opinions on Spider-Man?

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
I'm curious what people think of the new Spider-Man game. It occurred to me that this might be something for my Xmas list.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Its really fucking great. It kinda was put in a tough position because this is a great year for single player games, so its probably going to lose out on some big awards to RDR2 and God of War, but don't let that fool you--it is an excellent game and well worth checking out. The webswinging might be the most purely fun traversal mechanic in any open world game ever, Marvel NYC is wonderfully realized, the combat is enjoyable, and the story is funny and moving and stars one of my favorite takes on Peter Parker ever. If you like spiderman at all (and who doesn't?) play it

Solarious

Social Justice Nihilist
Validated User
From what I've seen (have not played it), it's a great Spider-Man game. The open world aspect is sometimes a little too rote on the collect-a-thon open world, but foundation of web swinging and wrapping up the baddies in snug webs is very well realized.

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
Hard to disagree with the above.

It's pretty easy to see that Insomniac looked at all the previous Spidey titles, cherry picked what worked, and then tweaked it with their own formula. It's probably the most challenging Spidey game I've played, due to the (re)learning curve, but it's easily the Spidiest Spidey game there's been. It also helps that the writing and acting are both top notch, as well.

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
I've heard multiple people say webslinging is so fun they don't want to use fast travel. There's not much more that needs to be said about a Spider-Man game.

Anaguma

Social Justice Fishwife
Validated User
It's pretty phenomenal. If I wasn't playing RDR2 right now, I'd be playing Spider-Man, and I know that as soon as I want to take a break from RDR2, I'll hop back into my spidey suit, and resume slinging webs around Manhattan.

Nessalantha

Validated User
It's pretty phenomenal. If I wasn't playing RDR2 right now, I'd be playing Spider-Man, and I know that as soon as I want to take a break from RDR2, I'll hop back into my spidey suit, and resume slinging webs around Manhattan.
This is me. I actually did take break from RDR to play the second DLC, which is one reason I'm so far behind on RDR2.

I've heard multiple people say webslinging is so fun they don't want to use fast travel. There's not much more that needs to be said about a Spider-Man game.
Web-slinging is better, but the fast travel is worth trying a few times, not only for the achievement, but for the amusement factor of Spidey hanging out in the subway train.

Anaguma

Social Justice Fishwife
Validated User
Web-slinging is better, but the fast travel is worth trying a few times, not only for the achievement, but for the amusement factor of Spidey hanging out in the subway train.
OMG, I giggled the first time I saw that. What a brilliant take on "fast travel".

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It has a great core. It then has some not that great stuff taped into that core, but given that the core of it is the perfect Spidey experience - webslinging that is a joy to do, and combat that while "Arkham" is distinctively Spiderman too - that the boring open world stuff or the awful stealth missions or the padding stuff at the lab can be forgiven.

Frankly, I would love if the game copied Arkham a bit more and gave me a "just sling and fight" mode.

nos4artu

Educationalist.
Validated User
It’s an excellent game. I’m on the second of the DLC and the storylines are really well emotionally weighted. I’d say it’s the best Spider-Man game I’ve ever played. And the web slinging is perfect. It’s an absolute joy to run and zip around Manhattan. You’ll be overjoyed the first time you corkscrew through a concrete pipe hanging 15 storeys up from a crane, or the legs holding up a water tower atop a brownstone. It’s a joy that doesn’t get old.

Top Bottom