• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

🎨 Creative Punk Rock Campaign Ideas?

lorddaftwager

Validated User
Preferably for D&D, but if you have another system that would work better I would love to hear it.

So my regular group has expressed interest in their next campaign being, and I am not making this up, one where they play as a group of Giff bards in a punk rock band. While I am all for this on the grounds that it sounds ridiculous, I have no idea what the campaign would be about. Anyone have any suggestions?

Troy Swain

Validated User
Always anarchy. Always against the state. Always sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

It really depends. If your players are punks, that's what they will want. If they aren't, then I would just ask. Their idea of what punk means could be completely idiosyncratic. Maybe they just want combat heavy D&D set to a 'punk' soundtrack?

lorddaftwager

Validated User
It really depends. If your players are punks, that's what they will want. If they aren't, then I would just ask. Their idea of what punk means could be completely idiosyncratic. Maybe they just want combat heavy D&D set to a 'punk' soundtrack?
One of them is definitely a left-wing anarchist, and is pretty into the local punk scene. The rest of us are fairly sympathetic to his viewpoints.

Troy Swain

Validated User
Have them smash the local corrupt state through the power of music. A bunch of gunslinging hippo-people running around shouting punk anthems sounds pretty fun. Sounds like the type of campaign you don't have to write at all. Just set up a tour plan, think about the Big Bad in each town, and the main Big Bad that controls all of the Big Bads. And have them smashing everyone. I would play it like an enemy-of-the-week TV show, leading up to season finales where they go up against the Boss.

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Preferably for D&D, but if you have another system that would work better I would love to hear it.

So my regular group has expressed interest in their next campaign being, and I am not making this up, one where they play as a group of Giff bards in a punk rock band. While I am all for this on the grounds that it sounds ridiculous, I have no idea what the campaign would be about. Anyone have any suggestions?
For the record, I see that you are relatively new around here, but by RPGNet standards, this premise is not even remotely near ridiculous.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For the record, I see that you are relatively new around here, but by RPGNet standards, this premise is not even remotely near ridiculous.
No kidding.

Hell, by punk standards, it's not even remotely near ridiculous!

I like the boss-of-the-week suggestion. Punching people in the face with the power of PUNK! Culminating in the inevitable devil's bargain from the Big Bad: sell out to me and become rich pop stars, or be beaten down by my army of fascist pigs.

Possible side plots: Infighting among other punks. (Personality cults. Intersectionality. Arguing over whether playing competently is good or bad. And, of course: nazi punks fuck off!) Having to get a day job for gas money. Getting genuine-if-clueless job offers. (Like the time Disney wanted to commission Devo for some music. Or just any time a band has to play for the wrong sort of crowd.) Oh, and maybe throw in some generic fantasy plot on the side, just for yucks.

tomas

Validated User
While I am all for this on the grounds that it sounds ridiculous, I have no idea what the campaign would be about. Anyone have any suggestions?

The local authorities (religious or secular) have a grip on controlling morality through music that bards are allowed to play. Your group are the outsiders.

g33k

Validated User
Mostly the Weekly Bad will be some version of The Man (n.b. gender not established by the word "Man" here, just authorities).

Sometimes "authorities" in the sense of gov't / religion / FatCat merchants / etc...

But sometimes it can be something else - a local Thieves' Guild who is Secretly Running Everything, a Mind Flayer with a finger in every pie (rather, a tentacle in every brain) both on the legal and illegal sides, etc...

soltakss

Simon Phipp - RQ Fogey
Validated User
What could the campaign be about?

• A bunch of Giffs who want to make music.
  • A Punk Band who wants to be famous.
  • A Punk band who just wants to make money.
  • Several rival Punk Bands who have different views on making music/making money/being famous and each think the others have sold out.
  • An Elf wants to join the PC's band and brings a set of skills the PCs don't have. But she's an elf and wants to join a Punk Band.
  • Each Band has its own style of music that attracts different kind of monsters, or magical forces.
  • The Battle of the Bands ends up as a real battle, as the supporters of each band get into a series of fights.
  • PC Giffs slamming in the mosh-pit might be interesting.

I think this sounds more like RuneQuest than D&D, to be honest. You have skills, so could start off as a rubbish Punk Band and improve, or could stay rubbish. You could learn spells that help and can gain magical instruments. A Bone Harp made up of a musicians's rib cage and spine would be a good Punk Rock instrument. The PCs could be covertly possessed by musicians with a secret agenda.

Certified

Validated User
One thing that may be fun to explore is why they are so different from their source culture. What caused them to break so radically with their culture? Does this have other unintended consequences, like being hunted? A movie I might recommend is Brazil, as an example of what happens when you deviate from a Lawful Neutral society. Another movie would be the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Top Bottom