• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

🎨 Creative Punk Rock Campaign Ideas?

Cosmic Hobo

Madman with a Boxed Set
Validated User
I was a punk and I still love the music, but I was never into anarchy. That's a popular misconception.
Sure. But it was about anarchy for quite a few punks, not all of them. Might not have been for you, but it’s not a misconception. Punk is political. Highly. Except a tiny minority, punk is also way left leaning. Add in the general disdain for authority and selling out...it was about anarchism for a lot of us. Still is.

Definitely bring in the DIY.

tomas

Validated User
DIY is the punk scene with which I identified and yea, most of the vibe was politically left because it was in reaction to Reagan and Thatcher. And it was about self-identity and having the courage to make your own path against social norms.

And I agree that there were those who went with the anarchy bit. I guess I'm just saying that saying punk = anarchy is about the same as saying heavy metal = Satanism. It's a popular misconception about a movement that continues to be misunderstood.

Devil's Avocado

Validated User
Sure. But it was about anarchy for quite a few punks, not all of them. Might not have been for you, but it’s not a misconception. Punk is political. Highly. Except a tiny minority, punk is also way left leaning. Add in the general disdain for authority and selling out...it was about anarchism for a lot of us. Still is.

Definitely bring in the DIY.
There's possible gold to mine there for a campaign.

Play up the tensions between the "peace and anarchy" Crass faction and the "get pissed, destroy" Pistols crowd.

Cosmic Hobo

Madman with a Boxed Set
Validated User
There's possible gold to mine there for a campaign.

Play up the tensions between the "peace and anarchy" Crass faction and the "get pissed, destroy" Pistols crowd.
To make it even more confusing: for some it’s “get pissed, destroy” and then “peace and anarchy”.

Love both bands myself.

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
Look at the power structures the band and culture are trying to overthrow, subvert or just live independently away from.

For example, early Vampire: The Masquerade pretty much expected the player characters to be Anarchs, young vampires rebelling against the repressive feudal Camarilla state, sticking it to The Man with the fantasy advantage of The Man actually being someone they could interact with. They had a real shot at smashing the system because they had a certain amount of power and access.

Mikko Kauppinen

Validated User
On Earth-138 Spider-Man was punk too, fighting President Osborn - you might find some inspiration in the imagery? I thought Spider-Verse was pretty awful even by mega-event standards, but at least it gave us Spider-Punk and Spider-Gwen.

Mr. Teapot

Validated User
If you're looking at other systems, then the game you should be looking at is Misspent Youth, which is written specifically about youthful punk rebellion against a corrupt authority. If you use that game, it will help clarify what sorts of opposition the PC punks would be facing, because the procedures of the game help build all of that for you.

Whether using Misspent Youth or not, the interesting thing (to me) about the initial idea is that the PCs are all giffs. Giffs are a highly regimented, authoritarian, militaristic society. Pretty much the opposite of punk rock. So you could build off of that. What do the PCs' family and friends who are still int he military structure think? How do you fight against an entire culture of military obedience? What terrible thing is the Giff military up to now? Who inside the military hierarchy might be sympathetic to the giff's rebellion? If you can't find allies among your own people, who can you find to be sympathetic ears to your rock music?

Troy Swain

Validated User
Another big plus one to the RPGs Misspent Youth and Starchildren. Misspent Youth is explicitly punk, but is also near-future dystopia. Starchildren handles weirdness beautifully. Also, Spirit of '77 handles rock and roll beautifully. And Monsterhearts handles petty punk drama better than any other game. But none of those games have militaristic gun-wielding hippo-people. Also, none reach D&D insanity. Also, none are combat based, which is what most D&D players want. I would really recommend tweaking the 5e rules to make music combat. Also, consider making social combat real— that is, make 'cutting' words actually cut, and hit PC's hit points.

Also I really recommend The Great Rock and Roll Swindle, Repo Man, Please Kill Me, and China Mieville's New Crobuzon novels. Please Kill Me is one of the best books about (proto) punk ever written, and one of the best oral histories ever written, and it is full of great ideas. Mieville is great for setting, but so is Tim Powers and half a dozen other people, but there's something about Mieville that is very punk.

Top Bottom