• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Qwixalted - a question to those who played it

Thomas Ufnal Crowlake

Validated User
As a relative Exalted noob, I only recently discovered Qwixalted. It seems pretty awesome, but one thing is bugging me. Even the least competent Exalted (Trait at 1) with enormous complications against them always has 50% chance of succeeding, and even a moderate competence leads to a huge probability of success. So I wanted to ask people who actually tried playing Qwixalted - does this high rate of success actually emerge as a problem when you play? How many complications do you use and does it lead to the GM having to find additional problems to make any task at least a bit challenging? Does anybody use the optional houserule from the wiki which makes the complications add required successes instead of reducing dice numbers?

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've been thinking about running Qwixalted myself, so I'm also interested in hearing about other people's experiences with it.

Chaomancer

CotTS High Magician
Validated User
It's been a long time since I ran Qwixalted, so my memory for why I eventually abandoned it is somewhat hazy, but the fact that the PCs basically succeeded at everything was one of the issues I remember. It was very difficult to actually challenge them!

Jarvis

Gamer & Amateur Designer
Validated User
Oh man... Qwixalted was a LONG time ago. From what I can remember, I was going for ease of play and a midpoint between the lightness and simplicity of the original quickstart and the crunchy meat of 2E.

And it's funny that you mention difficulty in challenging the characters. That's my biggest complaint about Exalted and other "super powered" games like it. When a supervillain is the only thing that can challenge the superhero, you're only left with two story options:

A. Facing off against the supervillain
B. Kicking everything else's ass

In my experience, Exalted as written suffers from the very same flaw. I wasn't looking to redesign the game or it's themes, just to make it considerably easier (for me) to enjoy. My advice for running Qwixalted is the same as my advice for running regular Exalted, weave a story around Heroic Mortals or Dragon-Blooded and the game becomes a whole lot more fun!

Last edited:

Dagor

Validated User
And it's funny that you mention difficulty in challenging the characters. That's my biggest complaint about Exalted and other "super powered" games like it. When a supervillain is the only thing that can challenge the superhero, you're only left with two story options:

A. Facing off against the supervillain
B. Kicking everything else's ass
That's part of why many actual published superhero characters kind of lead the soap opera life on the side, I suppose; it shows them having to deal with more-or-less everyday challenges to which their powers don't provide an instant "I win!" button, just like everybody else. (And even things like social-fu charms only go so far in managing genuine relationships, I'd imagine; "Exalted mind whammy!" isn't automatically the answer to just wanting your friends to like you for who you actually are.)

Last edited:

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
This became a problem in our second edition Exalted campaign about the time our crew had 250-300 XP under our belt. I actually got to the point I would only use the success adder charms as the dice adder charms were putting so many dice in my hands no one had enough dice and I felt the dice were getting in their own way (no smartphones w/ dice apps).

I really suggest looking over 16 Sorrows for Godbound. Godbound is essentially Exalted in an OSR package, and 16 Sorrows shows you how to challenge these characters. Famine, disease, a siege, curses, subversive cults. Not every problem can be punched. Those types of issues make for good stories, especially when you throw in the occasional "punch it 'till it works right" problems when they start getting frustrated.

Thomas Ufnal Crowlake

Validated User
This became a problem in our second edition Exalted campaign about the time our crew had 250-300 XP under our belt. I actually got to the point I would only use the success adder charms as the dice adder charms were putting so many dice in my hands no one had enough dice and I felt the dice were getting in their own way (no smartphones w/ dice apps).

I really suggest looking over 16 Sorrows for Godbound. Godbound is essentially Exalted in an OSR package, and 16 Sorrows shows you how to challenge these characters. Famine, disease, a siege, curses, subversive cults. Not every problem can be punched. Those types of issues make for good stories, especially when you throw in the occasional "punch it 'till it works right" problems when they start getting frustrated.
Not every problem can be punched but considerably more problems can be resolved by skill rolls, and this is where the Exalts have it even easier in qwixalted. Which is why I'm considering adding a way of rising the challenge of such rolls. Thanks for reminding me of 16 sorrows though :)

Top Bottom