Radiance RPG: Electric Bugaloo

AncientSpirits

Validated User
Today's spirit is special. It was the very first spirit to be illustrated in any way, back in "Secrets of Pact Magic", as the artist J von K produced it as an example of upcoming work.

Mare Loviatha, Ice Princess
You bring winter, turn into a unicorn, and enrage foes.
Appearance: Light snow falls as an eerie wintery wood fills the area. Soon, everywhere is blood, slain elven nobles, and the hooves of horses from countless silent suicides and murders.
Constellation: Crown ; Benefits:
>> For 2 vitality, you or an adjacent person or animal ally transforms into a standard unicorn (RMG, page 157) with black fur for 3 rounds. The subject gains the unicorn’s Large size, darkvision and low-light vision, 60 ft speed, horn attack (2d6+Str damage), innate hide armor (DR 5, or 2 against cold iron), 20 Strength, and a +12 bonus on Athletics checks. Unless the subject is already a large quadruped, the transformation destroys all mundane clothing or armor (but not other gear or magic items).
>> For 2 vitality, you evoke a sleet storm for 2 minutes. Driving sleet blocks all sight into a 20-ft high x 40-ft diameter cylindrical area within 500 ft. The sleet blocks darkvision and ices the ground such that a creature can walk within the area at ½ speed on a successful DC 10 Acrobatics check (failure knocks it prone); otherwise, it can’t move that round. The sleet also extinguishes torches and small mundane fires.
>> Boost Handle Animal, Intimidate, and Nobility checks by +3.
>> For 5 vitality, 1 living target within 30 ft seeks to harm itself or an adjacent ally (50/50 chance) in the most expedient way possible, typically by attacking itself or its ally up to 1/round, though it cannot use any sound energy attack or verbalization. The effect lasts 3 rounds. Will resists each round.

I'm still not entirely sold on a duration of 3 rounds for these kinds of transformation powers. Turning an advanced tier ability into an intermediate one usually means limiting it to 1/day or downgrading it from 2 minutes to 3 rounds. And BTW, the usual cost of Polymorph is 10 vp, but that spell allows unlimited form options, unlike this one, and I want to keep to 2 vp. Another option is a side effect after like fatigue. But I prefer not, and the ability already ruins one's mundane clothing. Of course, as written now, it can be renewed for 2 more vp another 3 rounds. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
I'm still not entirely sold on a duration of 3 rounds for these kinds of transformation powers. Turning an advanced tier ability into an intermediate one usually means limiting it to 1/day or downgrading it from 2 minutes to 3 rounds. And BTW, the usual cost of Polymorph is 10 vp, but that spell allows unlimited form options, unlike this one, and I want to keep to 2 vp. Another option is a side effect after like fatigue. But I prefer not, and the ability already ruins one's mundane clothing. Of course, as written now, it can be renewed for 2 more vp another 3 rounds. Thoughts?
Let it go, the cold never bothered me anyhow. (OK someone was going to do it, I just did it first. :p )

AncientSpirits

Validated User
Holy crap I didn't kill the thread, did I?
Sorry. :eek:
I was in Washington DC on business and then in Seattle for PaizoCon among other things. The "Starfinder Pact Worlds" can be a nice source of ideas for Radiance RPG adventures. It's mostly flavor with only a smattering of rules that look a lot like kits/themes that you can adapt. And most of the Starfinder races translate to Radiance RPG, such as dromites as their bug aliens. The telchine (Radiance Masters Guide) is a high-level version of their 4-armed kasatha. Anyway, nice graphics for the most part and some innovative ideas if you want to run a void-based campaign.

AncientSpirits

Validated User
This gnome has been hard at work...

WANT A LOOK? An expanded "Butcher of Braggarton" adventure book is now ready for review. The first THREE lucky fans who email me here can get a full look now...
Over 170 pages, over two dozen encounter areas, a brief intro to pact magic, and more...

Hey Dario

Not sure if you still watch this thread but well if you do, I have a few questions about some abilities in Radiance:

- You mentioned that the core abilities of are somewhat special compared to basic abilities. For the spellcaster classes this seems to be access to a core attack spell that is somewhat superior superior (e.g. no vitality, great range or no resist/autohit).
However, the Psion seems to get the short end of the stick here. His damage ability "Mind Thrust" seems just so much weaker than for example the Wizards "Magic missile" or the Shadowcasters "Shadowbolt". Can you explain the reason for this? :)
Example: Mind Thrust: 1d6 /2lvls (max 5), 30ft, sentient only, Will 1/2 dmg, psychic dmg, 1 vitality cost versus Shadowbolt: 1d6 /2lvl (max 5), 90ft, no target limit, no save, cold dmg, no cost, can target multiple enemies

- The Asimars racial ability "Angelsight" states: You cannot be burned, blinded, dazzled or otherwise harmed by strong light, whether natural or magical in nature, such as by a serephil angel’s Blinding Light ability. Since he cannot be blinded by light, does it mean he does not need heavensight anymore, which let's you see in blinding illumination (to which he would be immune)? Also RAW this seems to make asimar immune to many (most) abilities of the Lightbringer class. I guess that was not the intention right?

- Does the lightbringers luminous object ability (and the improved versions) allow you to create walls i.e. battlefield control? It sounds very cool to me if a Lightbringer could create walls of light but how would this work mechanically in terms of hit points and DR of the wall? (Would you just take Wall of Stone as an example and allow it only with the intermediate variant or higher?)

- Usually you add your Prime attribute to the damage of magical abilities. How does it work if this ability does damage over multiple rounds? E.g. the Goyles "Summon Swarm" ability? Do you add the bonus damage only in the first round or in all subsequent rounds?
Also how about all the conjured weapons (e.g. Psion "Force blade", Lightbringer "Luminous blade" or the Savants " Crackling Saber")? Do they get the bonus damage for magic abilites too?

- Lastly maybe a more general question: So magic weapons improve characters that rely on "mundane" weapons in a quite significant way while spell casters don't really benefit from getting them. Do you think creating items that make magic stronger (e.b. a basic magic item that adds +1 to attack for magic or items that add +X dmg to magic attacks etc.) would be imbalanced? Many magic items give acces to more abilities but i think it would be cool to be able to improve the ones you have.

Ok these would be my questions for now. I play Radiance with a group of friends since a while now and it is a cool system. As you can see i am mostly interested in the caster classes :p
Hope you see the message and thanks already for the answers :D

AncientSpirits

Validated User
Hey Dario

Not sure if you still watch this thread but well if you do, I have a few questions about some abilities in Radiance:
Howdy! I check here every few days. :)
Great questions. I'm getting ready to release version "X" of the Players Guide to fix a couple typos and adjust a few abilities to work better. Great timing!

- You mentioned that the core abilities of are somewhat special compared to basic abilities. For the spellcaster classes this seems to be access to a core attack spell that is somewhat superior superior (e.g. no vitality, great range or no resist/autohit).
However, the Psion seems to get the short end of the stick here. His damage ability "Mind Thrust" seems just so much weaker than for example the Wizards "Magic missile" or the Shadowcasters "Shadowbolt". Can you explain the reason for this? :)
Example: Mind Thrust: 1d6 /2lvls (max 5), 30ft, sentient only, Will 1/2 dmg, psychic dmg, 1 vitality cost versus Shadowbolt: 1d6 /2lvl (max 5), 90ft, no target limit, no save, cold dmg, no cost, can target multiple enemies
Yes, core abilities are somewhat special. Yes, most spellcasters like the wizard do have a spell with a special feature, though it's not necessarily combat related. For example, the sage has an amazing boost to one skill and the witch's abilities have vp cost, but the curse has no save (for targets below level 5). The inquisitor and the psion both have an unlimited ability that's not combat-related, which is likely what feels weaker relative to the others. I also weigh in other factors like armament options and boosts to defenses. That said, I agree with you that the psion starts a tad weaker than the wizard, which was not intended but over time has shown itself. It something to consider giving the psion a tiny bit of a boost, which in my mind is more likely to better saves or access to light armor or something like that. I remain open to options.

- The Asimars racial ability "Angelsight" states: You cannot be burned, blinded, dazzled or otherwise harmed by strong light, whether natural or magical in nature, such as by a serephil angel’s Blinding Light ability. Since he cannot be blinded by light, does it mean he does not need heavensight anymore, which let's you see in blinding illumination (to which he would be immune)? Also RAW this seems to make asimar immune to many (most) abilities of the Lightbringer class. I guess that was not the intention right?
Technically, Heavensight grants more than immunity to blindness in light. It grants full capacity to see normally (as if normal vision, in full color, no squinting, etc), whereas Angelsight simply prevents a condition (dazed, blinded, etc). How this plays out in practice is a little up to the GM. And yes, when I made the Lightbringer class, I wasn't thinking of the Asimar, odd as that sounds. Because it's only 1 optional ability amongst many, I think an asimar PC (or NPC) who takes it (at the expense of not taking something else) should get some reward for it. I'm okay with the current situation.

- Does the lightbringers luminous object ability (and the improved versions) allow you to create walls i.e. battlefield control? It sounds very cool to me if a Lightbringer could create walls of light but how would this work mechanically in terms of hit points and DR of the wall? (Would you just take Wall of Stone as an example and allow it only with the intermediate variant or higher?)
Yes, you can do battlefield control with it, for sure. The ability says it's transparent and clearly false but otherwise functional. The limiter for a wall is the maximum gp cost of the object. Unless the wall is made of really cheap material, it will be expensive. This wall has the same DR and hp of a real wall, but again, how much wall can you afford? Likely not more than plywood with the basic tier luminous object. And yes, you can use Wall of Stone and similar intermediate-tier abilities as guides.

- Usually you add your Prime attribute to the damage of magical abilities. How does it work if this ability does damage over multiple rounds? E.g. the Goyles "Summon Swarm" ability? Do you add the bonus damage only in the first round or in all subsequent rounds?
Also how about all the conjured weapons (e.g. Psion "Force blade", Lightbringer "Luminous blade" or the Savants " Crackling Saber")? Do they get the bonus damage for magic abilites too?
For any ongoing spell, you apply the bonus damage up to 1/round. So a magic blade does bonus damage the first time it hits each round, but not in additional hits (if any) that same around.

- Lastly maybe a more general question: So magic weapons improve characters that rely on "mundane" weapons in a quite significant way while spell casters don't really benefit from getting them. Do you think creating items that make magic stronger (e.b. a basic magic item that adds +1 to attack for magic or items that add +X dmg to magic attacks etc.) would be imbalanced? Many magic items give acces to more abilities but i think it would be cool to be able to improve the ones you have.
I think that's fine. I didn't include much in the way of meta-magic items for spellcasters because those tended to feel bland (or maybe I just lacked imagination about those!) You can use the Arcanist theme awards as a guide to making basic and intermediate tier meta-magic items. And yes, a boost to spell damage that's equivalent to a boost to weapon damage is also a fine magic item.

Ok these would be my questions for now. I play Radiance with a group of friends since a while now and it is a cool system. As you can see i am mostly interested in the caster classes :p
Hope you see the message and thanks already for the answers :D
Glad to hear! Thank you for your support!
I'm almost done with the adventure that'll be coming out. One more sample PC to create, then it goes to the editor. I've even done all the maps etc. It's so ready...!

Last edited:

AncientSpirits

Validated User
Are there any more Radiance books in the works?
YES!
There are 2 books basically done, and 2 midway in process:
-- I revised Butcher of Braggarton adventure, which has originally 44 pages and is now a 180 page resource. I am creating the last sample PC and sending it off to the proofreader this week.
-- There's "Night Journey of the Soul", which is an "interactive novella" that takes place in the Radiance RPG setting. It's 140 pages and sort of like a choose your own adventure, but with more emphasis on setting. It's done. It's also going off to the proofreader this week.
Both of these will be out in time for the Christmas holidays for sure, since it's just proofreading and uploading to store.
-- Radiance Pact Magic is half done. I need to write more spirits and create more sample creatures. It greatly expands on pact magic options from the Radiance Expansion Kit. Can't say a time line yet. I have a lot of travel to Europe and elsewhere (for work) in the coming month.
-- I continue to work on the setting resource book.

Last edited:
Top Bottom