Radiance RPG: Electric Bugaloo

theCimmerian

Validated User

AncientSpirits

Validated User
I continue to work on Radiance Pact Magic, the next supplement for Radiance RPG. Besides a new class, two themes, and 42 new spirits, there are 13 new townie professions to make the GM's life easier when preparing adventures. They are also options for PC who have significant downtime. Let's start with the intro and townie #1. More everyday in the coming 2 weeks!

Townies
Here are 13 townie professions for an occult setting. These folks may inhabit a bygone Atlan empire, a safehouse, or anywhere in between. Among pactmakers, binder monks and spirit devotees are most common while occult sages, vatic witches and such are rare. Warbinder is usually a 2nd profession. Heroes should think carefully before hiring these townies or taking them on as followers. Among binder foes, the silverlight crusader leads the way with angel binders in reserve.

1. Angel Binder (Wis)*
An angel binder focuses on binding good-aligned angelic spirits and acts as a rare paragon of holiness among pactmakers.
Angel Binder: From among standard angel options (RMG, pages 35-37), select 2 kinds such as “Hound” and “Trumpet” when taking this ability. You know these as spirits you can bind using Occult Power. When doing so you gain their unique abilities (but not base angel abilities) and your alignment moves 1 step closer to neutral good (rather than neutral evil). You must have a non-evil alignment.
Angel Binder Skills: Boost Arcana, Diplomacy, and Religion checks by +3.
Beatific PactsM: Three times daily, for 1 vitality as a move action, you can bind a spirit you know for 3 rounds. The spirit can be any of 3 angel constellation spirit, Torn Wings of Angels, or a spirit you know from Angel Binder, but not any other spirit. These spirits’ seals are permanently inked as tattoos on your body. Each use expends 2 gp worth of special celestial materials. While bound, you acquire the spirit’s physical appearance and you alignment moves 1 step closer to neutral good. You do not risk acquiring taint. Resolve the spirit’s abilities using Wisdom. This ability acts as Occult Pact for the purpose of meeting prerequisites.
Combat Ready: You are proficient with Medium armor plus the dagger and 2 specific weapons of your choice.
Vow: Select a vow such as not speaking, eating meat, having sex, accepting money, or harming others. On days you fail to keep your vow, you cannot use Beatific Pacts or abilities with that as a prerequisite.

Last edited:

AncientSpirits

Validated User
I was hoping for a Pact Magic book for Radiance and here we go!
Yeah! More Radiance goodness to digest!
Yessiree!

Note: Once most of the core concept is in place, it's possible some mechanical elements may change. For example, I may introduce totems and alignment to each individual spirit, similar to Grimoire of Lost Souls and Secrets of Pact Magic. Some of this depends on space. I'd like to retain a fair amount of flavor as well as danger like in the 3.5/Pathfinder supplements.

theCimmerian

Validated User
So when I read the Radiance books, I see the set of options for multiclassing and multiple themes and I love mixing and matching. What if I had a lizardfolk that was a Barbarian/Shifter with a Hunter and ... etc... etc... ?

But when I've gamed Radiance, it's turned into a headache as everyone including me suffers from indecision paralysis. Even if the players are starting with one class and one theme for a character, they'll spend hours considering what they want to do in a few levels. I'm inclined to house rule that characters have to pick one class and one theme, and if they're going to pursue Kits or a Townie profession they have to do it after level 10 and they can have at most one.

Does anyone else run into this? On one hand, obviously it limits your set of options. But it would be really nice to be able to play the game instead of taking three hours to pick a character, getting 80% of the way through the character sheet, and then changing your mind and starting over. :eek:

theCimmerian

Validated User
Sorry for the double-post. I think Pact Magic would be a more interesting element to the game if it's made more attractive to players. Maybe other forms of magic aren't available, or require a character to be born to a certain bloodline, or require Radiance Dust while Pact Magic does not? Otherwise, even if I was evil why would I risk things going off the rails with a bound spirit when I could just learn to be a Warlock or Necromancer?

The Angel Binder looks pretty cool, though I think resisting the temptation to eat meat has to be the lowest price to pay. "You're saying I can access all this awesome power, and all I have to do is be a vegetarian? Done! Let's go buy some potatoes!"

AncientSpirits

Validated User
So when I read the Radiance books, I see the set of options for multiclassing and multiple themes and I love mixing and matching. What if I had a lizardfolk that was a Barbarian/Shifter with a Hunter and ... etc... etc... ?

But when I've gamed Radiance, it's turned into a headache as everyone including me suffers from indecision paralysis. Even if the players are starting with one class and one theme for a character, they'll spend hours considering what they want to do in a few levels. I'm inclined to house rule that characters have to pick one class and one theme, and if they're going to pursue Kits or a Townie profession they have to do it after level 10 and they can have at most one.

Does anyone else run into this? On one hand, obviously it limits your set of options. But it would be really nice to be able to play the game instead of taking three hours to pick a character, getting 80% of the way through the character sheet, and then changing your mind and starting over. :eek:
This is why it's critical that players generate their PCs BEFORE they come in for game day. You are right: it needn't necessarily take long to make a character, but there are a lot of options and players can drag that out if they can't decide.

Note that multi-classing is described as an optional rule. Also, it's already a rule that a PC can only have 1 theme at time of creation. Only through actual leveling up, can you add a theme. As stated in paragraph 3 on page 108: "With the GM’s permission, you may change a character’s theme up to 2x during his career. However, when creating a character above 1st level, you must always start play with a single theme. When changing themes, you keep awards gained from earlier themes."

I think it's also helpful to ask players to fill out party roles. That's the same across many game systems: stealthy/ranged striker, melee brute, healer/protector, artillery, technician, party face/diplomat/noble, and special movement.

As for the benefits of pact magic, I like your idea of explicitly saying it does not require radiance dust. After all, it often requires pieces of magical creatures instead. The two main benefits of pact magic are diversity/flexibility and early acquisition of power. You have access to different spirits with very different abilities, perhaps ones that wouldn't normally go together in any class combos. Also, you have access to an advanced tier ability plus two intermediate abilities at 1st level! (Of course, that lasts only 2 minutes, 1/day, but still.) This allows a PC to do stuff he or she can't normally do by literally any other means. Even for a Prodigy, to have 1 advanced and 2 intermediate doesn't come until 5th level, and the prodigy is specifically limited to those abilities, rather than the pactmaker who can switch from day to day.

BTW, thank you loads for your question. This needs to go in the book upfront. :)

Top Bottom