• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Random post-apocalyptic map resources wanted

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm getting ready to run a sandbox-style Gamma World game with a heavy focus on exploration and so I'm looking for any resources (print or online) to help make a map. If it was a fantasy game I'd use books like WFRP Renegade Crowns and roll some dice to randomly generate terrain, ruins, and threats on a sheet of hex/grid paper. Unfortunately, I don't see very many post-apocalyptic map resources out there that fit a similar niche.

So, before I start using Renegade Crowns to randomly roll up terrain and then try converting it to a high-tech post-apocalyptic wasteland, I figured I'd ask if anyone had any better suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
I was working on something like this that I never finished. Let me see if I can dig up something for you tomorrow, when I have access to my notes... assuming that my home internet connection decides to play nice and let me post (been having a lot of problems with it lately).

Gee4orce

Validated User
Grab a satellite image from Google Maps of a region that looks kinds-sorta what you're after. Large areas of Africa, the Middle East, Tibet, Siberia, Mongolia, Australia...all look pretty good. I once did this for a Heavy Gear game and it worked well. Add symbols for settlements, etc, on top of the map in a graphics tool and you're golden.

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
Start w/ hexmap that's 17 x 17.

6 mile hexes. That gives you a map that's around a hundred miles by a hundred miles.

Terrain d6:
1 Wetlands... reeds icon
2 Plains... no icon
3 Badlands... cracks
4 Hills... mounds icon
5 Mountains... peak or peaks
6 Water... waves

d100 hexes for all types, except water. Water is d10 (unless you want a lot of water). Place hexes as desired.

Vegetation d6
1 Barren... brown
2 Grassy... yellow
3 Scrub... olive
4 Forested... green
5 Dead... Grey
6 Contaminated... re-roll (d4) to determine vegetation. Outline area in purple. Roll on contamination table.

Contamination d6
1 Nuclear (radioactive)
2 Chemical (area saturated in extremely poisonous chemicals, probably chem weapon)
3 Biological (plague, biohazard, etc)
4 Supernatural
5 Toxic or Industrial Waste (area may seem alright at first, but long term exposure is bad. Usually easier to clean up then chem weapons)
6 Ecological (something has caused the local ecosystem in this area to collapse, likely some sort of invasive, possibly mutated, species)

Roll 3d10 Landmarks, and 3d10 ruins. The items rolled are mostly intact and usable. Some of them may be in no-go (contaminated) zones. Place as desired. Or roll 1d20 twice to get coordinates - treating a result of 18 or above as GM's prerogative to place the item anywhere on that row or column as desired. Some items infer other features that may not be on the map. The GM is free to add items as desired. (For instance, a GM may roll a Bridge in an area without a river - the GM may add a river, a dry gorge, cliffs, or whatever other justification desired for the bridge's existence.)

Landmarks
1 Aqueduct
2 Bridge
3 Canal
4 Caves
5 Cliff
6 Crater
7 Dam
8 Defensible Area
9 Fertile Valley
10 Good Land
11 Good Water
12 Isolated Mountain
13 Ley Line
14 Power Plant
15 Railway
16 Resources
17 River
18 Road
19 Tunnel
20 Volcano

Ruins
1 Major City
2 City
3 Town
4 University
5 Industrial area
6 Airport
7 Distribution Center
8 Cannery, grain elevator, seed bank, food manufacturers, etc
9 Refinery
10 Mall or Megastore
11 Military Base, military industry
12 Major Hospital, medical distribution center, pharma warehouses, etc
13 Library, major bookstore, book distributor
14 Factory(-ies)
15 Mill(s) – Steel, Lumber, etc
16 Warehouse district
17 Mine(s) or ore storage
18 Chemical manufacturers or storage
19 Research facility(-ies)
20 Bottling plant (beer, bottled water, soda, etc)

Ruins often have dangers. Roll below.

Ruins, II: Dangers
1 Raiders
2 Mutants
3 Monsters
4 Degenerates
5 Cult
6 Survivors
7 Contamination
8 Dilapidation
9 Magic
10 Nothing

Roll a d10. That's the number of major warlords in the area. Each has a territory of d100 hexes. Place them as you will, but it's usually best to center them on the least shitty areas on the map. Roll a d10 on the following table for the warlord's archetype.

Archetypes
1 Goliath
2 Maniac
3 Law Giver
4 Druid
5 Preacher
6 Prophet
7 Soldier
8 General
9 Farmer
10 Ranger

Last edited:

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
You'll end up w/ something like this:

Red areas are warlord territories. The purple in the lower left is toxic. The blue lines are ley lines. The mostly straight black line inside one of the blue line is an intact section of highway running through the middle of a ley line. Most of the icons are self explanatory, but a few of them you'd have to guess at.

akajdrakeh

Pronounced 'akkadrakka'
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have a copy of Nathan Decker's Morrow Project Travel Guide. It's basically a fan-created text to be used in conjunction with real world maps that creates a post-apoc wasteland. If you can't track down a copy online (it was freely available, legally, when I downloaded it), PM me and I'll hook you up.

eggdropsoap

Cosmic Egg
Validated User
I have a copy of Nathan Decker's Morrow Project Travel Guide. It's basically a fan-created text to be used in conjunction with real world maps that creates a post-apoc wasteland. If you can't track down a copy online (it was freely available, legally, when I downloaded it), PM me and I'll hook you up.
Hm. The PDF version of the Travel Guide is 404ing, as are the HTML versions, but digging those up using the Wayback Machine lead to an old notice about the "new home" of the HTML version, which itself (via Wayback) points to yet another new home of the HTML version. Which lands at the currently-functional and what appears to be much-expanded The Morrow Project - Travel Guide Archive.

So that's available! But I bet having the PDF safely tucked into one's personal archive feels far better, given the track record of the Guide's web presence. :)

Top Bottom