• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Rapid POD Looking to Start publishing division?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenWhitman

Banned
Hey Everyone,

My name is Ken Whitman and I have been publishing books for over 20 years. I am contemplating opening a publishing division of Rapid POD Printing, Inc. and printing RPGs, Art Books, Novels, Comics and Card Games.

The difference between us and other publishers is that we want to work with design houses and artist that hand us over finished products. Sure we will pick out who and what we want to print, but once we agree to your project, you have full control and retail full rights.

We will print, market, fulfill all orders of your product and may you for each unit we sell. Now obviously each company will be paid monies based on talent and what they bring to the table, however on average we are looking to pay a company 25% of wholesale cost for a print ready book.

Each company will share a company logo on the back, and depending on the product, given a contract to produce so many books in a given time. An example may be… we sign a 12 issue contract with ‘Steve’s RPG Comic’ for a 24-page monthly comic OR a two year contract with ‘Frank’s RPG company to produce 12 RPG products in the next 24 months OR we may sign Elmore Productions for a 64 page one-shot art book.

At the end of the contract your company gets to keep the IP and design.

If this sounds like something you may be interested in send me a one-page business proposal letting me know who you are, what you want to do and what products you have in mind. Keep this proposal down to one page (500 words and maybe an image or two.)

We are not a design house so don’t worry about us stealing an idea – we only work with artist and design houses who wish to partner with us.

Send any proposal to ken@rapidpod.com and please give me a week or two to look it over and e-mail you back. I am sure I will have a few hundred proposals to look through in the next few weeks.

Once again, I am interested in printing… RPG Worlds, Comics, Art books, Novels, and card Games… that I like.

Thanx for your time,
Ken Whitman
Rapidpod.com

502-212-6258

PS – Please pass this on to anyone you think might find this interesting.

DJorgensen

Banned
You're biting off more than you can chew again, Ken. You obviously still haven't overcome your bad rep for last summer's nearly endless string of failures.

KenWhitman

Banned
Hey Dana,

Thanx for the concern buddy! I like people who are looking out for me.

Unlike nine months ago, Rapid POD has evolved into a million dollar company that has allowed my to employ an additional eight more employees. Because of my success I can expand into other areas.

Having successfully published 50+ games over the last 20 years I want to help others with drams of making games and art books.

anyway... good luck with your endeavors!

Ken Whitman
502-212-6258

LBrownIII

Validated User
Ken, buddy, you've always been a likeable guy, but sometimes you make me want to pull my remaining hair out. :eek:

Can I recommend English? You know--words, basic sentences, things like that? Maybe even some coherent paragraphs composed of sentences. Taking a few minutes to prepare your posts in word and make use of its spelling and grammar checker might help with some of those image problems.

KenWhitman said:
My name is Ken Whitman and I have been publishing books for over 20 years.
The Pen & Paper RPG directory only identifies Ken Whitman as the publisher on record for Ralph Bakshi's Wizards in 1992. Whit Publications, which I presume might have been your company, also produced Mutazoids in 1989 (to which you apparently no longer own publication rights) and World Wrestling Federation in 1993.

I don't see a 20-year span of publishing 50 games. I see a 4-year span with only 3 products and no noteworthy successes.

The difference between us and other publishers is that we want to work with design houses and artist that hand us over finished products.
Some other publishers already do that. At least half a dozen of them are on this forum. How does that make you different?

Sure we will pick out who and what we want to print, but once we agree to your project, you have full control and retail full rights.
Retail full rights? What does that mean? The designer has rights to sell his game? Or did you mean retain? If the designer retains his rights, then what's this line later about "At the end of the contract your company gets to keep the IP and design."?

The publishing industry uses specific terms for specific meanings. Please use them. Do you want world publication rights, do you want North American publication rights, and do you want electronic rights, too? What are you asking for? If you don't understand the rights you're asking for, then I hereby officially accuse you of incompetence.

We will print, market, fulfill all orders of your product and may you for each unit we sell.
You're going to may me? What?

Now obviously each company will be paid monies based on talent and what they bring to the table, however on average we are looking to pay a company 25% of wholesale cost for a print ready book.
Does that include copies you sell at full retail at conventions and through other channels?

Each company will share a company logo on the back
Presumably your company's logo? Or will you create a new logo?

Can I ask what you plan to budget for marketing each book? Which distributors do you have accounts with? Which conventions do you attend? Who bears the cost of review copies? I understand that this idea is still in an embryonic stage, and you might not have thought everything out (like the payment on direct sales).

Matt-M-McElroy

What Are You Afraid Of?
Validated User
I was going to ask a few questions regarding the initial post, but LBrownIII pretty much covered them. Mostly regarding retail rights, payment, marketing, etc.

More information and clarification would be great.

Regards,

Matt

Eldoria

Retired User
Ken,

I like your enthusiasm, energy and ambition! :) Your optimism even in a market that is struggling is very good to see...:)

I did want to correct the idea that other publishers aren't willing to let a design house keep the rights to their work. If a designer came to us and had their book completely publish ready (writing, editing, artwork and layout), then they would typically have full ownership (and I suspect most other small publishers would feel the same)... unless the designer wanted to sell it (some want to get a lot of money up front, or want to sell ownership in exchange for a higher percentage of the revenue on this product).

I would suspect that many other publishers would be willing to offer a designer a very similar deal to what you are offering. ComStar products are already carried by a number of game distributors (such as Alliance, ACD, Spiel, Blackhawk, etc). Our games have also made more money than expected in the book trade through distribution by Ingram (the largest distributor to the retail book trade) and Baker & Taylor (traditionally a strong distributor to the library trade, but is working into the book trade as well). I do not believe we are alone in having taken the route of both game distribution and book trade distribution, and being quite willing to publish books "that we like" (translation: that we think gamers will like).

Respectfully,
William

DJorgensen

Banned
LBrownIII said:
The Pen & Paper RPG directory only identifies Ken Whitman as the publisher on record for Ralph Bakshi's Wizards in 1992. Whit Publications, which I presume might have been your company, also produced Mutazoids in 1989 (to which you apparently no longer own publication rights) and World Wrestling Federation in 1993.
Ken also has a string of companies in his past for which he headed without owning.

Among Ken's other past failures are Games Unplugged magazine, Archangel Entertainment, Dynasty Presentations (Dark Conspiracy 2nd Edition, anyone?) and Imperium Games (Traveller 4th Edition, anyone?)

KenWhitman

Banned
LBrownIII said:
Ken, buddy, you've always been a likeable guy, but sometimes you make me want to pull my remaining hair out. :eek:

I don't see a 20-year span of publishing 50 games. I see a 4-year span with only 3 products and no noteworthy successes. .
Thanx for the segue, I hate briging but it is part of my resume...

Stephane Laws Book of Faries, Elmore Productions, Inc., 2004
Snarfquest RPG, Elmore Productions, Inc., 2003
Snarfquest Card Game, Elmore Productions, Inc., 2003
Larry Elmore Clip Art, , Elmore Productions, Inc., 2003
20 Years of Elmore, Tintagel Media, 2003

Games Unplugged Magazines, Dynasty Presentations, Inc. 2000 – 2002
Issues 1 thru 13

ACHMAGE, Basic RPG, Dynasty Presentations, Inc., 1999
The Shadow Falls, Dynasty Presentations, Inc., 1999
Dark Conspiracy: Referee’s Screen, Dynasty Presentations, Inc., 1999
Dark Conspiracy: Referee’s Guide Basic Edition, Dynasty Presentations, Inc., 1999
Dark Conspiracy: Player’s Guide basic Edition, Dynasty Presentations, Inc., 1999
Dark Conspiracy: Referee’s Guide Masters Edition, Dynasty Presentations, Inc., 1998
Dark Conspiracy: Player’s Guide Masters Edition, Dynasty Presentations, Inc., 1998

Dan Frazier: A touch of Fantasy, Archangel Entertainment, To be Published
Dark Conspiracy: Referee’s Guide, Archangel Entertainment, 1998
Dark Conspiracy: Player’s Guide, Archangel Entertainment, 1998
Daydreams & Nightmares, Fred Fields, Archangel Entertainment, 1998
Extreme Vengeance, Archangel Entertainment, 1997
Die & Die Again, Archangel Entertainment, 1997
Hit List, Archangel Entertainment, 1998
Maximum Damage, Archangel Entertainment, 1998
GROO: The Card Game*, Archangel Entertainment, 1997
GROO Expansion I*, Archangel Entertainment, 1997
Mythical Lands, Larry Elmore, Archangel Entertainment, 1998
Ray Lago: Heroes and Angels, Archangel Entertainment, 1998
Steve Stone: Nexus DNA, Archangel Entertainment, Archangel Entertainment, 1998
Three Stooges Card Game*, Archangel Entertainment, 1998
Zero, Archangel Entertainment, 1997
Supernumerary, Archangel Entertainment, 1998

Traveller 4th Edition, Imperium Games, 1997
Alien Archive, Imperium Games, 1997
Central Supply Catalog, Imperium Games, 1997
First Survey, Imperium Games, 1997
Journal Of the Travellers Aid Society Magazine, Imperium Games, 1997
Milieu 0: The Third Imperium, Imperium Games, 1997
Starships, Imperium Games, 1997

Mutazoids, Whit Publications, 1988
GM Screen, Whit Publications 1988
Mutazoids Second Edition, Whit Publications, 1989
City Sourcebook, Whit Publications, 1989
Bad Lands, Whit Publications, To be Published
Ralph Bakshi’s Wizards, Whit Publications, 1991
Scortch, Whit Publications, 1991
Montagar, Whit Publications, 1991
GM Screen, Whit Publications, 1991
Western Highlands, Whit Publications, To be Published
East Elflands, Whit Publications, To be Published
World Wrestling Federation Basic Adventure Game, Whit Publications, 1994
Young Adult Basic Game, Whit Publications, To be Published
Expansion Book, Whit Publications, To be Published
Maneuvers Handbook, Whit Publications, To be Published

there are more...but this is only way I can take full credit on.

-Ken Whitman

KenWhitman

Banned
LBrownIII said:
Some other publishers already do that. At least half a dozen of them are on this forum. How does that make you different?
I don’t know about this buddy, please list a company that does not have in house people making a game and just focus on printing, marketing others games.

LBrownIII said:
Retail full rights? What does that mean? The designer has rights to sell his game? Or did you mean retain? If the designer retains his rights, then what's this line later about "At the end of the contract your company gets to keep the IP and design."?

The publishing industry uses specific terms for specific meanings. Please use them. Do you want world publication rights, do you want North American publication rights, and do you want electronic rights, too? What are you asking for? If you don't understand the rights you're asking for, then I hereby officially accuse you of incompetence.

Once I went into a bank and opened my checkbook so I could write the cashier a check. Alas, I forgot my pen. In my southern accent I asked "Could I have a pen?" which sounded like pin (in my southern draw).
"A what?" she asked.
"A pen!" I replied in my southern draw again.
"A what?" she asked again.
"look lady, I got a check book out ready to write you a $5,000 check, what OTHER kind of pen can I be asking for?" and needless to say she handed me the pen when she know I was writing her bank a check.

In other words, I have cash and your no dummy. We can hash all this out during contracts.

LBrownIII said:
Can I ask what you plan to budget for marketing each book? Which distributors do you have accounts with? Which conventions do you attend? Who bears the cost of review copies? I understand that this idea is still in an embryonic stage, and you might not have thought everything out (like the payment on direct sales).
I am working on a promotional budget of around 50k a year. This is for all products, not just RPGs, and will include promotional copies, advertising and convention support.

The publishers will not have to pay anything, however, we will offer additional perks at a small fee, such as con badges, room sharing, etc.

KenWhitman

Banned
DJorgensen said:
Ken also has a string of companies in his past for which he headed without owning.

Among Ken's other past failures are Games Unplugged magazine, Archangel Entertainment, Dynasty Presentations (Dark Conspiracy 2nd Edition, anyone?) and Imperium Games (Traveller 4th Edition, anyone?)

Games Unplugged magazine was owned by Dynasty Presentations - I sold for 35k to Fast Forward Entertainment, if that’s failure then 'yes' I’m a failure.

Archangel Entertainment - okay got me there, I only sold 40k copies of Groo: The game and 30k copies of Three Stooges. I quite gaming for a few years to raise my daughter as a stay at home dad. Once again BIG FALURE HERE!

Imperium Games - I left because the CEO was making me produce shiznit. His name was Cory Solomon - the director of the 1st D&D movie. So you can understand why!
Excuse me for caring weather gamers got a good product or not.

But you also forgot about my other failures...

Working as Larry Elmores Business manager for 4 years or the 2 years I ran GEN CON for TSR.

Or the fact I started a POD company on $5,500 and in nine months have a company worth over $500k.

SO... I was hoping that I could find a few companies willing to fail with me all the way to the bank.

Anyway, thanks for your concern buddy! I love people who look out for me!

Take Care,
Ken Whitman

and as always my phone is 502.212.6258.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom