• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Ravenloft campaign: edition advice

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User
"Ravenloft is a land worth living in. It is a land worth fighting for. Don't surrender it to the night." (From that Ravenloft Campaign Setting corebook published by S&S.)
Yes, exactly! Now, Sword and Sorcery wasn't the first to treat Ravenloft as a proper setting in its own right - the late Second Edition hardback Domains of Dread from TSR did the same - but their take on it is really quite good.

Lots of crunchy rules, if you like that sort of thing. Introduced 'taint' (or re-introduced it), which a lot of people seem to like. Published by WOTC for introducing horror into D&D. To me, it feels sort of like a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" sort of horror sourcebook, but I find some of it pretty decent and look forward to incorporating it (decent monsters to use, some fun locales, etc).
I'd be tending away from crunch of at least some kinds (thinking of the damage save no-hit-points option that Unearthed Arcana adapts from Mutants & Masterminds, for instance) but then there's crunch I like. I'll give it a browse, thanks!

Mabus

The Uber-Lurker!
Validated User
I would recommend using the 3.0 Ravenloft Corebook for your rules crunch, while looking to the old Domains of Dread hardcover for flavor and inspiration.

While there is nothing really wrong with the 3.0 corebook, it just seems kind of....sterile by comparison. I think that the Domains of Dread book conveys the setting's atmosphere much better.

I will also echo the sentiments of looking at a lot of the 2nd ed. sourcebooks, as they were excellent for the most part. While there are some crappy d20 supplements, the stuff written by the Kargatane (Andrew Cermak, John Mangrum, Andrew Wyatt, Ryan Naylor, and Chris Nichols, and I forgetting anyone?) is usually high quality stuff!

I read a few of the 2nd edition books years back and liked them very much--in fact it's why I had Ravenloft in mind for my girlfriend in the first place. I certainly expect to combine eras of material. But it's good to reinforce that for the sake of anyone browsing.

Brandi

Validated User
The Fraternity of Shadows FAQ has some decent info. Other changes: dropping Lord Soth, providing info. on the 'dark powers' when 2nd edition left that more vague, changing some of the domains around (locales, location, who was in charge or other important NPCs, etc)...that's all I can recall off the top of my head.
The shifting around of domains was the Grand Conjunction, and definitely a 2nd edition event (a metaplot spanning 6 modules, available here).

The business with Soth was, to a large extent, Weis and Hickman being grumpy, and is described in the FoS FAQ.

I don't think the 3rd edition is any *more* clear about what the Dark Powers are than 2nd (though Azalin thinks he knows...).

Ifshnit

Holder of Shadows
The shifting around of domains was the Grand Conjunction, and definitely a 2nd edition event (a metaplot spanning 6 modules, available here).

The business with Soth was, to a large extent, Weis and Hickman being grumpy, and is described in the FoS FAQ.

I don't think the 3rd edition is any *more* clear about what the Dark Powers are than 2nd (though Azalin thinks he knows...).
Yeah, I know about the conjunction. Seems like they lost a domain or two not specified in the Grand Conjunction in 2nd edition, though. But I may be remembering incorrectly, so my apologies if that's so.

As for the dark powers, didn't they go into more explanation in 3.0/3.5? Not that they said anything definitively, but they seemed to indicate that the dark powers were more evil, IIRC. Which had my wife in a tizzy 'cause I just don't see them that way!'

Again, maybe filtered through my wife's perceptions which may be skewed. :D In which case, rantings of a madman here. *looking over shoulder at something not there. twitch*

Brandi

Validated User
Yeah, I know about the conjunction. Seems like they lost a domain or two not specified in the Grand Conjunction in 2nd edition, though. But I may be remembering incorrectly, so my apologies if that's so.
Well, a few domains got sucked up into other domains (Dominia -> Borca, Gundarak -> Barovia), a few got ripped out and turned into islands (Markovia went into the Sea of Sorrows, the others become Mist-isolated domains), and a few simply couldn't be written up for meta-game reasons (no rights, for instance, to the Dark Sun domain).

As for the dark powers, didn't they go into more explanation in 3.0/3.5? Not that they said anything definitively, but they seemed to indicate that the dark powers were more evil, IIRC. Which had my wife in a tizzy 'cause I just don't see them that way!'
Didn't strike *me* that way, but YMMV.

Brandi

Validated User
Also, Plume: you may want to give a look at the Fraternity of Shadow's own forums, which naturally are very focused on Ravenloft.

Top Bottom