Recommend a "Gloomhaven Lite" Please

Reynard

Validated User
I'm in the market for a good dungeon crawler, playable solo as well as by a group. I have Gloomhaven but it's a little too much sometimes. I want something lighter that I can pull off the shelf, set up fast and get to slaughtering orc-a-likes. I enjoy games that have a deck building element, as well as ones with medium tactical complexity. I don't mind paying for quality but would like to keep the total cost under $100. A mission based game (so we wouldn't be tackling the same scenario over and over) is best but if you know of a really good procedural or repeater I'll gladly check it out at least. Finally, I prefer games with robust YouTube libraries for figuring out how to do the thing.

Thanks!

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Zombicide Black Plague or Green Horde covers some of those points (easy to setup and fast to start killing orcs). Another alternative would be Descent 2e with the Road to Legend app.

There is also Mantic Dungeon Saga, but I have no idea if that game is good or bad :S

Chris Manning

Validated User
I can't say anything much about it, as I only played it once and haven't understood the rules well enough, but maybe check out Myth? It came out some time ago though, and so I can't say much regarding access to it (The BGG page shows Amazon purchases at 90 USD, but sometimes those aren't accurate). I think that meets the deck-building ideas while still being a dungeon crawler, although the deck-building is over time. Unfortunately, I don't think the perfect game exists, given those requirements, although maybe I'm wrong?

Crumbs

Validated User
Look up Folklore: The affliction, Mageknight and Sword & Sorcery for straight boardgames. Heroes of Terrinoth if you do not mind the whole thing being cards.

Reynard

Validated User
Look up Folklore: The affliction, Mageknight and Sword & Sorcery for straight boardgames. Heroes of Terrinoth if you do not mind the whole thing being cards.
I almost bought Heroes of Terrinoth today at a quick stop off at the game store but decided I needed to do more research. That's the same world as Mage Knight and the Genesys game right?

Lockjaw

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There is always the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System set of games.
No real deckbuilding though.

Crumbs

Validated User
I almost bought Heroes of Terrinoth today at a quick stop off at the game store but decided I needed to do more research. That's the same world as Mage Knight and the Genesys game right?
Terinoth is FFG fantasy setting for lots of games the genesys rpg is one of them. Heroes is basically the old Warhammer Quest game.

Mageknight is wizkids

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't know about Folklore, but I wouldn't call Mage Knight or Sword & Sorcery "Gloomhaven Lite": they are pretty heavy and complicated games. I love them though :)

Heroes of Terrinoth is pretty fun, but the content of the base game is very limited. Not sure how much FFG is going to support the line at this point.

Crumbs

Validated User
Both setup faster and are generally the same level of complexity as gloomhaven. Personally I find none of them that complicated. Problem is everyone has a different threshold for what light/medium/heavy means.

I just went with games that are as similar to gloomhaven in mechanics that the OP mentioned.

Sword and Sorcery being the closest.

Top Bottom