• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Recommend an ancient city builder for iPad.

randomgamer8466

Validated User
Once upon a time, probably in the 90s, I had a cute little PC game in which you would build an Ancient Greek village. There wasn’t much emphasis on building an army and crushing rival city-states, it was a chill, relatively peaceful little game in which you’d watch the little helots gather the olives and pour them into an olive press and squeeze out the oil and carry it in jars on their heads. Sublime.

Anybody remember the name of that game? Or, more to the point, since that game is undoubtedly extinct, can you recommend something in a similar vein available for the iPad?

Mike000

Validated User
Zeus and/or Poseidon, most likely. While there was combat & conquering other city-states, you could easily resort to bribery instead.
edit: And Pharoah/Cleopatra. (And many of the same devs did Caesar 4 & Children of the Nile.
Same folks as the Caesar series, and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

phred

Validated User
Once upon a time, probably in the 90s, I had a cute little PC game in which you would build an Ancient Greek village. There wasn’t much emphasis on building an army and crushing rival city-states, it was a chill, relatively peaceful little game in which you’d watch the little helots gather the olives and pour them into an olive press and squeeze out the oil and carry it in jars on their heads. Sublime.

Anybody remember the name of that game? Or, more to the point, since that game is undoubtedly extinct, can you recommend something in a similar vein available for the iPad?
Your post inspired me to search for mobile ancient city builders, but instead I discovered Pocket City.
It's a modern city builder and a lot of fun.
There's a free version with ads if you want to test it out. You can also buy it.

My favorite ancient city builder was the browser game Nile Online trading game/city builder. The people there were so nice.
It's still running, but it doesn't have the population it once had. I haven't played in years.
You could found/upgrade 4 cities and build 2 monuments. Each city produced one unique good (wood, gold, emeralds, etc..).
You had to build an army to conquer/defend a site to build your monument, but I never had issues with other players taking over my monuments - there were always plenty of unclaimed monument sites available.
Mostly, you were making trades for the goods you needed to upgrade your cities, and people were always helpful trading small amounts of goods with newbies.
If you didn't have wood as a good, you had to ask the community to give you some wood to make your first boat. They were always generous.

Top Bottom