• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Recommendations] What are the best drafting games?

adamsmith

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I love 7 Wonders, and I really like the card drafting mechanic.

What are your favourites? Why?

Victim

Validated User
Terraforming Mars is pretty good IMO.

If you like 7 Wonders, have you looked at 7 Wonders: Duel, or does that not suit your normal play?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Sushi Go! It's a friendly game, easy, has enough to be interesting for more experienced players, and inexpensive. Quick to score too!

Tides of Time. 2 player drafting game, it's pretty, games are quick. It's what I want from 7 Wonders but simpler :3

Houlio

Gauche
Validated User
Blood Rage is a fun area control game that involves drafting your hand each turn. I don't think there are a ton of drafting games so much as there are games that use drafting as a mechanic.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Blood Rage is a fun area control game that involves drafting your hand each turn. I don't think there are a ton of drafting games so much as there are games that use drafting as a mechanic.
If you like mixing direct confrontation with your Drafting either of the two Eric Lang mythology games will work. Blood Rage uses a drafting mechanism very similar to 7 Wonders while Rising Sun action drafting is more like Puerto Rico.

Terraforming Mars draft variant is the only way I play the game.

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
I cannot recommend Inis enough! A beautiful game that will reward repeat play with fantastic experiences throughout.

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Validated User
Hadara is currently replacing 7 Wonders for us. It's a little fairer (everyone gets an equal shot at the different types of cards) and its iconography isn't quite as dense. It plays over three epochs, and in each epoch you take turns drawing from five different decks, keeping one card and discarding the other. Then you all take turns drawing from the five discard piles. You can either buy a card to add to your tableau (with a discount for each card of that color you already have) or sell it for coin. Each card will raise your level on one or more tracks (Income, Military, Culture and Agriculture), and those tracks come into play between drawing rounds when you gain coin equal to your Income, you use your Military value to claim colonies, your Culture value to build statues, and your Agriculture value to "feed" your people (you need one rank in Agriculture for every card you have, or else you have to discard cards, thereby losing any gains they gave you). There are also Technology cards that give you special abilities. The cards and colonies and statues (as well as medals you can purchase at the end of each epoch) give you points that you add up at the end of the game, and the highest score wins. It's a simple concept but with a lot of tough decisions, and while it plays relatively quickly, it still feels like a full game experience.

WorldSaverInc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I admittedly have only played one game of Suburbia but my wife and I enjoyed it. Drafting is but one part of the game. There are also bits with population, income generation, and placement of the tile drafted which is important.

You don't play with all of the tiles, so every game will be different.

Top Bottom