• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Recommendations] What's new in JRPGs?

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Legend of Heroes games are great, one advantage they have for the PC gamer is they were originally made for the PC so you avoid a lot of the console port issues that plague a lot of jrpgs.
Were they? I played the first game on my PSP.

Scutarii

Validated User
So would people suggest Trails in the Sky or Cold Steel as the better first pick?

CaButler

Validated User
So would people suggest Trails in the Sky or Cold Steel as the better first pick?
Both are basically their own self-contained stories, but I would suggest Trails in the Sky first, as Cold Steel canonically takes place after that series.

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User
Cold Steel happens after Sky, but doesn't really rely on it - there's references, but they're to events that happened relatively far away and a couple years ago.

I'd say that Cold Steel is the better Game, but that Sky is better written - it's less cliche than Cold Steel.

Metaphysician

Validated User
Were they? I played the first game on my PSP.
*checks* Yep, its initial release was in 2004 for Windows PC. Exclusively in Japan, even.

Even if it weren't, though, Falcom has a long history of doing games for PC, I imagine even their games that do start off on console have certain PC-friendly sensibilities.

Scutarii

Validated User
Ok I've got Trails in the Sky downloading now.

If people are interested I can comment on my thoughts as I play.

Otherwise I'm still interested in what else is out there in JRPG land :)

CaButler

Validated User
Ok I've got Trails in the Sky downloading now.

If people are interested I can comment on my thoughts as I play.

Otherwise I'm still interested in what else is out there in JRPG land :)
One thing I need to recommend to you while playing the game. When you find a chest and open it, check it again. You might be surprised by what you find.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cold Steel happens after Sky, but doesn't really rely on it - there's references, but they're to events that happened relatively far away and a couple years ago.

I'd say that Cold Steel is the better Game, but that Sky is better written - it's less cliche than Cold Steel.
Yeah. On the advice of this thread I picked up Sky, but that's after playing the first Cold Steel. Sky's MC being a spunky heroine and not your average blandly pleasant dude was refreshing, and since I played CS first I'm not disappointed by it now. I do really recommend CS when the OP gets around to it. Love the relationship system, which is very Persona-esque.

Scutarii

Validated User
Well I got it downloaded and played ~an hour last night. Finished the first 'exam' quest. Double checked the treasure chests, very clever.

What sold me though was a really early line of dialogue.

"Do I hear yelling?!"

Yeah, I like her already.

The quarterstaff as a weapon is another plus, don;t often see polearm type weapons on the main hero. Depending on how much influence you have over their stat growth I'll be building her as a tank/bruiser type. High HP and defence, good physical attack.

Top Bottom