• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Recruitment] City of Necromancers: 4e Paragon Planar game (using PbtA oldschool emulator)

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'll have to think about those options to pick one.

Being someone who has travelled to Rahesh and then staid there to study would be interesting, but to fit with the idea of going to to rediscover the old world I think he'd have to have been there for quite a long time or his experience with the outside world would be much more directly useful. Having some knowledge but most of it being very out of date would be more fun.

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Having some knowledge but most of it being very out of date would be more fun.
Just riffing off of this, but one thought is that your character could be a Human Revenant who came to Rahesh to seek knowledge, and was raised into undeath by a mentor, colleague, or someone s/he came to owe years of service to. Formerly a denizen of the World Outside, s/he now returns to it full of power, but a changed person. Which has changed more, the world they left or themselves?

If you really want to play in that space, they could have come to Rahesh before it separated from the world, which might have been seen as a politically risqué move by the groups they left behind, because of the general perception at the time of Rahesh. Perhaps the call of knowledge and power was that strong, or maybe they had already committed themselves to a period of service in exchange for knowledge received or promised. When the city moved into its demi-plane, the character stayed in Rahesh.

They may have stayed within the city all this time, or voyaged out into the Shadowfell or the Underdark. They may even have ventured a short ways in the mundane plane, if you want. But the start of the game connotes their first significant venture back into the lands they left behind more than a century ago.

Mechanically (though it matters less), Revenants are even DEX + CHA/CON, which supports a Sorcerer build.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Revenant might work, though I'd have to think of the implications.

I think I'd prefer if he (this is very much a male character in my mind) hadn't died and been raised, though with the current direction that either means he's unusually long-lived (so maybe not human?) or has been changed in some other way. I'm fine with him not being human (or whatever he was before) anymore, but I think I'd like to keep him being raised as something that could potentially happen in the future.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
unusually long-lived (so maybe not human?) or has been changed in some other way
There's a number of those PPs that could probably lend themselves to longevity. To both the Demonskin Adept and the Essence Mage, for instance, biological age may no longer hold much meaning.

Dromio

Validated User
That's quite the setting! What really interests me here is the chance to play in a setting and at a level that I don't normally get to play at. I think the not-much-combat angle would be very effective, especially in that setting, and PbtA would be a relatively new experience for me.

I'd be angling toward a Mul Seeker Swift Strider. Swift Strider seems to be about being able to move around the battlefield effectively and often. In my mind that would be him moving in and out of the "spirit world" which could be where ghosts are or could be the realm of death or etc. Note that the quotation in PH3 about the Swift Strider is "I stand in two worlds: the world you see and the world you don't." (I say that like some kind of 4E expert, but I got it off of the wiki :))

Why's he in Rahesh?

- Maybe that movement in and out of the spirit world is only controllable in combat. Moving in and out of the spirit world unpredictably (when out of combat) is something he needs to stabilize; it's slowly driving him mad. Rahesh is the interplanar hub of spirit realm research and development, where else would he go? Once he finds a lead that might help himself, he has to follow it up right? No stone unturned?

- Maybe he wants to research transferring spirits, the spirits around him, probably even specific spirits that surround him, into new bodies. It's SO difficult to find a place where not only are those kinds of goals understood, but possibly encouraged. The problem is, there's no guild for this, so he's banging around between multiple guilds trying to find an appropriate place to land. And who knows what components or knowledge might need to be found and researched?

- Maybe he's trying to figure out if spirits can be used for power, outside of slapping a zombie on a hamster wheel and telling it to run. Researching, planning, creating, and implementing a spirit battery, or spirit power plant is going to require a lot of effort and Rahesh is the place to start. The ultimate spirit battery; poised to power a city, a country, or a continent for years? Something called a "phylactery".

Would we be using alignments from Freebooters? The Seeker is a Primal power, would we look at Cleric?

Quite frankly, character creation sounds like it's going to be wonderfully fascinating. :)

Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Validated User
That's quite the setting! What really interests me here is the chance to play in a setting and at a level that I don't normally get to play at. I think the not-much-combat angle would be very effective, especially in that setting, and PbtA would be a relatively new experience for me.
:)
I'd be angling toward a Mul Seeker Swift Strider. Swift Strider seems to be about being able to move around the battlefield effectively and often. In my mind that would be him moving in and out of the "spirit world" which could be where ghosts are or could be the realm of death or etc. Note that the quotation in PH3 about the Swift Strider is "I stand in two worlds: the world you see and the world you don't." (I say that like some kind of 4E expert, but I got it off of the wiki )

The Seeker is a Primal power, would we look at Cleric?
When applying the Primal power source to the City of Necromancers, I suspect there's a few things to look at. Primal could mean Nature, nature spirits, nature bonds. If so, we'll have to think about what that means in a necromancy setting, as Nature and Undeath traditionally are enemies. There may be ways through/around that, but we'll have to think it through.

Primal might also mean other types of spirits, though. Primal, in this campaign and for some characters, could mean spirit necromancy. Or ancestor worship. Or pacts with spirit entities (including noncorporeal undead) or other kinds of allies.

While Seekers are listed as a Primal Controller with a Striker or Defender secondary, looking at the class abilities, powers, and utility powers, it seems very much to be about being the "hunter and mystic" from the early descriptive prose of the class, and a "champion who scours ... in search of those who defile". I'd be inclined towards making the translation a hybrid Fighter-Thief in Freebooters, a stalker, a defender of a way of life, perhaps even an assassin. I'd be inclined towards fluffing as much of the activity of the character as you're comfortable with towards things being spirit-assisted. Those would be choices to make: is the character so stealthy because they are skilled at stealth or because they have spirit allies obfuscating their path? Are they launching their attacks, or are their attacks launched by spirits? Depending on your interests, the character could be more of a Thief or more of a Fighter, or a balance between the two.

In this manner, they could easily be standing removed from the fray while the spirits they've forged compacts with fight, defend, persuade, negotiate, etc. Again, you can take that as far as you are inclined to.

Clerics in Freebooters invoke divine portfolios and embody the will of their gods. I could see the character Praying, Invoking, Inspiring and such things, but I'm not convinced that they'd be Converting. And the Seeker writeup makes them sound very active in enforcing their will on others, in what seems like an intimidating and hardcore way. If you really wanted to be a Cleric, though, we could probably make that work. Note that a Shaman, which both Lysus and Gyrfalcon have expressed interest in, would almost certainly be a Primal-source Cleric, so you'll want to consider that.

~*~

I'm still processing the Swift Strider. It's clearly about movement. What the in-game context for that ('fluff', if you will) is definitely something to consider.

~*~

Why a Mul?

Would we be using alignments from Freebooters?
I think so. If not Freebooters, than The Nightmares Underneath, which makes even challenging alignments eminently playable. But, probably Freebooters.

Evil in Freebooters: Gain XP when you inflict harm on another for personal gain
Evil in TNU: Your primary motivation is to cause harm, which might be revenge, righteousness, or other sources, but you have enemies to fight and are consumed by that.

I'll decide as we get closer to understanding our group of characters, unless knowing which system we're using becomes critical for chargen.

Why's he in Rahesh?

- Maybe that movement in and out of the spirit world is only controllable in combat. Moving in and out of the spirit world unpredictably (when out of combat) is something he needs to stabilize; it's slowly driving him mad. Rahesh is the interplanar hub of spirit realm research and development, where else would he go? Once he finds a lead that might help himself, he has to follow it up right? No stone unturned?

- Maybe he wants to research transferring spirits, the spirits around him, probably even specific spirits that surround him, into new bodies. It's SO difficult to find a place where not only are those kinds of goals understood, but possibly encouraged. The problem is, there's no guild for this, so he's banging around between multiple guilds trying to find an appropriate place to land. And who knows what components or knowledge might need to be found and researched?

- Maybe he's trying to figure out if spirits can be used for power, outside of slapping a zombie on a hamster wheel and telling it to run. Researching, planning, creating, and implementing a spirit battery, or spirit power plant is going to require a lot of effort and Rahesh is the place to start. The ultimate spirit battery; poised to power a city, a country, or a continent for years? Something called a "phylactery".
These are all interesting ideas. Let's focus first on what the Class and Primal power source for this character means. Do my thoughts above about how the Seeker translates into Freebooters work for you? If so, what is the character's function in the gameworld? Are they a protector? An assassin? Do they control the spirits as a means to an end, or do they enact the will of the spirits as an agent of them? Are the spirits relatives? Entities the character has formed pacts with? A lost tribe they made contact with? Are they the undead? Or is it all something other than these ideas?

What does "Primal" mean to this character?

As we start to understand these details, it'll be easier to begin to understand where they'd want to bolster their knowledge, or have projects they're working on, etc.

Quite frankly, character creation sounds like it's going to be wonderfully fascinating. :)
It's one of my favorite parts of any game.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Considering a Blackguard Paladin or a Gloom pact warlock, tiefling either way.

Atlictoatl