• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Recruitment] City of Necromancers: 4e Paragon Planar game (using PbtA oldschool emulator)

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Does anyone have some good source material on Conjurers, Summoners, or Illusionists? I'm thinking specifically of factions, civic groups, organizations, fraternities, etc. Like the Necromantic Guilds section above, though I don't need as many groups.

I haven't had any luck finding stuff on this, but I may not be conducting the right searches.

Dromio

Validated User
These are all interesting ideas. Let's focus first on what the Class and Primal power source for this character means. Do my thoughts above about how the Seeker translates into Freebooters work for you? If so, what is the character's function in the gameworld? Are they a protector? An assassin? Do they control the spirits as a means to an end, or do they enact the will of the spirits as an agent of them? Are the spirits relatives? Entities the character has formed pacts with? A lost tribe they made contact with? Are they the undead? Or is it all something other than these ideas?

What does "Primal" mean to this character?
Good questions, I love this stuff! I'll do my best.

"Primal" to this character means raw, unfiltered, uncivilized nature. Not Central Park nature, or Pebble Beach nature, more like Antarctic nature, or rainforest or desert nature. This fits with the "nature" orientation of the Seeker. And with the nature (hehehehe) of the Mul. The Mul are nothing if not Primal. They're survivors, they adapt, they persist through conditions that would make other races cringe.

I had missed that the playbooks were there with the rules, but looking at them now I agree that the most appropriate books would be Fighter and Thief, and Fighter more than Thief. He is definitely not an assassin, that's a calling for civilized places. I'm leaning more toward him being a protector of spirits for sure. The spirits in my head (so to speak) are most definitely not undead. Just spitballing: I wonder if we could be looking not at ghosts, but at genius loci of interplanar places of significance that have been destroyed (so nature spirits rather than the spirits of sentients)? He's carrying those spirits within him, even talking to them sometimes (and getting responses!), and trying to prevent other nodes from being destroyed. He would be in Rahesh because it's a center of knowledge and planar access. Just a thought. Or maybe instead of them being destroyed, he's a vessel for one or more genius loci as an emmisary, or maybe he's providing experiences to them.

I was 100% hoping to reskin everything but some attacks into spirit related things. We're on the same page there.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Or maybe instead of them being destroyed, he's a vessel for one or more genius loci as an emmisary, or maybe he's providing experiences to them.
Your response has me thinking about what Seekers are, in general, and what it means to be one at Paragon Tier. I think you've nicely described three directions we could go in. Maybe these are all options for Seekers in general, or maybe only one of them is being a 'Seeker'. What's of primary importance is deciding what operating principle governs your character. We can decide what that means for Seekers, as a body, later.
  • You carry the spirit of a destroyed natural place 'within' you, or
  • You serve as an emissary for the spirit of a natural place, or
  • You serve as a vessel for the spirit of a natural place, providing them experiences and understanding of what exists beyond, and of that which encroaches upon them
For all of these, a Seeker as they grow in power would have relationships with more than one spirit, or with more powerful spirits. Probably both.

I think all of these options make for a compelling story. Your choice depends on whether you prefer the vengeful protector route or the more diplomatic route.

There's also an option regarding how the spirits manifest in the game:
  • You have relationships with a definite number of spirits, identified with specificity, and who have specific 'influence'
  • You have relationships with an indefinite number of spirits, and they are treated spontaneously, so we create identity and influence as it is needed/desired
Either option is valid and will be fun to play. Frankly, though, the writeup for the Seeker feels pretty personal to me, so I lean towards a finite number of spirits (or personalities, if you will) that inhabit your character. The indefinite/spontaneous route feels more like a Shaman to me.

"Primal" to this character means raw, unfiltered, uncivilized nature. Not Central Park nature, or Pebble Beach nature, more like Antarctic nature, or rainforest or desert nature. This fits with the "nature" orientation of the Seeker.
I'm leaning more toward him being a protector of spirits for sure. The spirits in my head (so to speak) are most definitely not undead. Just spitballing: I wonder if we could be looking not at ghosts, but at genius loci of interplanar places of significance that have been destroyed (so nature spirits rather than the spirits of sentients)? He's carrying those spirits within him, even talking to them sometimes (and getting responses!), and trying to prevent other nodes from being destroyed.
"I am the lightning strike, the earth's upheaval, the unruly sea. I am the bringer of your destruction."

I'd like to propose something, riffing off of what you've written.

Your character carries the genii locorum of destroyed natural places. Early in his/her journey, they carried one such genius loci, of a local region. Over time, they had cause to take on a second, and then a third. Each subsequent place, as the character grew in power, was a destroyed place of more potency.

Now, the character carries the genii locorum of four or five places, and the most recent genii are of planar places of significance. The accumulation of foreign, wildly primal, enraged genii locorum within your psyche and spirit body is a challenge to your character to integrate. This is his/her great calling, their purpose, but it is more than the mortal frame can safely handle. To succeed -- to take on more genii locorum, to house the spirits of these great primal treasures being lost to the planes -- your character has to evolve beyond their mortal frame.

I think this might actually be your Paragon Path. At the Heroic Tier, you took on first one, then two, then three genii locorum of places on your native plane (I'm assuming it's what I term the mundane plane). When you had cause to absorb the spirit of a planar location, and of a plane you were not native to, you entered the Paragon Tier.

The PCs of this game are still at the early stages of Paragon. I'm thinking L14 equivalent. The Paragon Path for you could thus be mastering this new identity, discovering how to hold not only this many genii, but genii of this potency, without fragmenting your own identity or tearing apart your body. Crossing into Epic Tier represents attaining a heightened level of that mastery, and the ability to hold vastly more potent genii locorum.

Other Seekers, ones on a different Paragon Path, deepen or enhance their relationships with the small handful of Heroic-level genii locorum they have, becoming Death Hunters or Crimson Arrows for them. But you are a Planar Seeker, housing greater and greater genii locorum, and many more of them than Seekers who follow other paths can.

I like this for a few reasons:
  • Having a finite number of genii within you makes things much more personal. We can give them identities and spheres of influence (for lack of a better term). They can be NPCs, of a sort.
  • This gives your character a clear reason to come to Rahesh, which otherwise is a weird place to be (it's a civilization-heavy city of the undying, which is about as 'unnatural' as it gets): they're here to get better tools for functioning with multiple entities occupying their psychic/spiritual/energetic space.
  • It makes your Paragon Tier journey one of self-development and mastery, and gives you real stakes. You're operating at a planar level. You're holding these vital places. They're threatening to tear you apart.
He would be in Rahesh because it's a center of knowledge and planar access.
Whatever you decide, I think it's important that we get more specific than this, because there are lots of places that are centers for knowledge and planar access, and many of them are going to be more attuned to natural states than a vast city-state of undead. What is in Rahesh that you can't find anywhere else? Something to answer as we get more clarity on the character.

I was 100% hoping to reskin everything but some attacks into spirit related things.
(y)

If we go in the direction I've proposed above, Fighter + Thief might make less sense than Fighter + Cleric. I can now definitely see using Invoke to represent great primal energies/influences, using Disciple to represent spirit-charged Moves, you Praying/Communing with the genii, and some version of Converting. As well as the mechanic of running out of Favor equating to times when you are having trouble communing with the many spirits within and making use of their powers.

If you'd rather be a deadly agent of vengeance or otherwise be focused on Hiding in Shadows, Moving Silently, and spending Cunning to empower related moves, we can continue to discuss. But I think refluffing some of the Fighter's effects coupled with the ability to Invoke primal energy could be a really nice and representative mixture.

Last edited:

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Dropping in to confirm that I'm still interested. My character concept hasn't really changed since I initially brought it up, so I'll drop a quote in here.

As for character archetypes, my current interest is something more along the line of the Shaman, though the article that popped up in one of the Let's Reads today about Warlock patrons was very inspiring. I really liked the idea of someone who had gotten a glimpse of a dark future combined with the inescapable certainty that if they positioned themselves correctly, they might be able to do something about it. I also like the idea of a character that's prone to making deals on just about any level. Coming back around to the Shaman, this seems like it might be appropriate - the shaman makes deals with the spirits of nature for services in return for some form of payment. Just as easily, this character might be willing to make deals for other forms of power with the fey, devils, dark stars, or other powerful entities. I'm just spitballing at this point, but I'd love to hear what you think.
I think this character would be a half-drow half-sidhe that was, in herself, a result of a marriage or pairing that was a part of a pact between two groups or competing powers within Rahesh (or one within the city and another outside).

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Porting over my response from that thread:

I like it. I appreciate the moral complexity of the character.

On a quick perusal, what's standing out to me is this introductory comment in the Shaman article in Primal Power:

"You live in a world that most other people can't even perceive."

They're certainly talking about the veil between the spirit and mortal worlds, there, but I like what you're suggesting, that the world of the shaman isn't simply a world of spirits and mortals, but a world of compacts, agreements, bindings, and betrayals. The idea of a shaman who is highly attuned to those social mechanisms, and apt to form agreements with all manner of beings, is very appealing.

The different shaman builds strike me as more about mechanics than anything else, though if there's a specialty that intrigues you we can pursue it. I think I would otherwise suggest going more towards a generic shamanism. We can represent a Companion Spirit as a Follower, though I'm not sure I would want to get fiddly with special situational powers that it confers on allies and enemies. I could see the shaman narratively having knowledge of ancient compacts between its people and others and the knowledge/ability of forming new such agreements, with advantages in social situations that include observing and manipulating social bonds.

I suspect the Cleric class in Freebooters would be the best template. Disciple, Pray, and Invoke all seem to translate fine, substituting spirits (or other entities you have compacts with) for divine agency. Lay on Hands could also work. I'd probably want to refluff Convert. All of the Advanced Moves other than Missionary seem like they would re-fluff fine, and wearing spirit armor or smiting with spirits, etc. all seems very cool.

VoidDrifter's Grand Index of 4e Dragon & Dungeon Articles lists four issues with supplementary material: #372, 383, 385, 387. I haven't read any of them yet, but there might be some material there worth exploring.
It would please me if the spirits your Shaman compacted with were not solely nature spirits, but also (instead? or also) spirits of the dead and undead. It seems a shame to have this whole City of Necromancers thing going one, and nobody in the group to interact with the dead or undying. Perhaps the Shaman is some admixture of Primal and Arcane.

Are there any Paragon Paths that appeal? They needn't be specifically Shaman paths. Or, separate from that, how do you perceive things being different for the character as a Paragon Tier entity vs a Heroic Tier one? That might help us track towards a PP.

I think this character would be a half-drow half-sidhe that was, in herself, a result of a marriage or pairing that was a part of a pact between two groups or competing powers within Rahesh (or one within the city and another outside).
Is she more drow or more sidhe, culturally, temperamentally, for external perception, etc. etc.?

Gyrfalcon

They said I was mad, MAD!
Validated User
Welcome, Gyrfalcon. What interests or intrigues about the game?

I hope you have a good time out of town.
Thanks! Things are going well (though busy) so far this weekend.

I'm definitely interested in digging into the Nentir Vale worldbuilding & lore within PbP, and seeing how that is explored in a game that's driven less by tactical combat mechanics than D&D 4e. My best play experiences with PbtA games have been when scene-setting moves & narration introduce cool bits of scenery or NPCs to interact with, and the Nentir Vale offers a lot of opportunity for that.

I should let you know, Gyrfalcon, that one of the people who was an active participant in the previous Discussion thread for this game was developing a concept for a Shaman character, and I've given priority seating in the game to those folks who've been talking about the game for a while (all of whom are now present, barring the player in question). I didn't mention it earlier, because I wanted to confirm that they were still planning on applying with that concept.

Given that, are there other character concepts that interest you?
Um, oops? Sorry.

A lot of my concept behind Hemlock is setting up a contrast & tension with the Raheshi powers-that-be -- wilding as a species distinctly not suited to the transition to undeath, Primal source character leaning into the 'nature spirits aggressively opposed to the undead' flavor, but Hemlock in particular has a backstory & mindset of channelling that inborn hostility towards the villains & darker elements of Raheshi society so is (grudgingly) tolerated. Shaman would be a good class fit, but for class+power distinction I could also work with Druid, Warden or potentially Avenger or Invoker of Melora. Does that seem like a good path?

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's a number of those PPs that could probably lend themselves to longevity. To both the Demonskin Adept and the Essence Mage, for instance, biological age may no longer hold much meaning.
Essence Mage looks like a good fit. The focus on using multiple elements at the same time fits very well with how I imagine him.

Atlictoatl