• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Recruitment] GURPS Vikings One-Shot: Glory of the Svartrsung

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
Norway. 939 A.D.

Jarl Olafir the Swineherd of the Svartrsung sends word to all the scattered farmsteads.

Jarl Brynjar One-Eye of the Gunnardung has challenged the clans to a great contest at his mighty hall Seggrhalla, by the little coastal town of Fiskrfjordr. Over the course of three days, teams will compete in running, spear-throwing, glima (wrestling), riddles, archery, hnefatafl (board games), lausatök (team unarmed combat), poetry, and hunting. All participants must compete in all contests. Nine finely-worked armbands of pure gold will be awarded. Their names are “Shining”, “Precious”, “Treasure”, “Freya’s Hair”, “Beautiful”, “Wonderful”, “Winding”, “Desire” and “Hero’s Portion”.

The Svartrsung have seen better days. You are proud descendants of Svartr Foe-Burster, trusted huscarl to Harold Fairhair, King of Norway. But today you are a small and unimportant family, doggedly hanging on to what remains of their ancestral territory. More powerful clans than yours plan to take those rings for their own glory. The Gunnardung, rich and powerful Vikings and traders. The Skogralfings, who carve their farmsteads out of the dark forest. The dour Halvordung of the frozen uplands. The islander Kjeldings, those lovers of the oar, whose eyes turn always to the sea.

Volunteers of good Svartrsung blood are to assemble at Jarl Olifir’s hall, Spjǫrheimili, on the first day of Sólmánuður, in the height of summer.

PCs should be built on 200 points with no supernatural or cinematic abilities or disadvantages. No exotic backgrounds will be allowed. This is a tale of Scandinavian warriors and their bonds of family.

The genre is pseudo-historical. In other words, I want an atmosphere of realism, but I’m not going to put a lot of effort into getting the historical details right, and I’m going to ignore historical accuracy when I feel like it. Likewise, players should be as historically realistic as they know how to be but are not expected to go to a lot of effort.

You don't need to have or know GURPS, as long as you are willing to learn the basics.

If you have a completed character, please post it to thi thread. If you have already been accepted but would like help building your character, let's handle that in this thread too.

Game on!

Devious

Validated User
Hello,
This is Paolo Barone. I am interested in playing your GURPS Viking game. I submitted a fighter character Eyvald.

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
Hello,
This is Paolo Barone. I am interested in playing your GURPS Viking game. I submitted a fighter character Eyvald.
Welcome! I've seen him and declared him to be good Viking stuff. :)

Could you please try to paste a version of him into this thread, to help give ideas to the other players?

Kelly Pedersen

Validated User
I'm glad to see this game is going ahead! Here's my proposed character, Stigandr Fair-Face, skald of the Svartrsung:

Spoiler: Show

Stigandr (just "Stig" to his family and friends, though he'll get prickly about it if you use it in other company - it's undignified) grew up on one of the small farmholds that dot the Svartrsung clan's holdings. He was inclined towards music and poetry from a young age, and attracted the attention of Old Bjorne, who was serving in the Jarl's hall as skald. Bjorne took Stigandr on as an apprentice when he was twelve, and soon after, sailed away with him to Jutland, where Bjorne hailed from, claiming that he needed a "proper hall" to teach young Stigandr anything.

Stigandr stayed away ten years, but when he returned five years ago, he told the Svartrsung that he intended to settle down with his old clan, and be the skald-in-residence for as long as they'd have him. Since then, he's cut a bit of a swathe through the likely ladies (and some of the men) of the farmholds and in Jarl Olafir's hall. His beautiful face and well-groomed golden locks have made people whisper that he was kissed by Baldr when he was born, and he smiles and laughs and never denies it when it comes up. He's perhaps a bit too conscious of his good looks, charm, and beautiful voice, and he enjoys mead, good food, and good company as much as the next man - possibly the next two men, people joke. But Stigandr is definitely a talented skald, capable of both reciting the great sagas and verses of old, and extemporizing a new verse to suit the situation. He enjoys chronicling the exploits of the Svartrsung, and thinks of it as his duty to bring them back to fame and glory.

While his skills are focused on the arts of the skald, Stigandr can keep up with the warriors if necessary. He's decent with a sword and shield, and at least knows how to handle the other major weapons, axe and spear. He's learned to travel as well, and can serve on a ship, hike a good march, and make a passable camp, if a jarl's hall doesn't present itself.

His most cherished possession is his fine harp, given to him upon completing his skaldic training in Jutland. He takes it everywhere, and takes great care of it, always keeping it well-protected and close at hand while he travels. If he were to be forced to jump off a ship, he might not take a sword or some food, but he would certainly take his harp.

Attributes
ST 11 [10]
DX 11 [20]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 11 [10]

HP 11
Will 14 [10]
Per 14 [10]
FP 11

Basic Lift 24
Damage 1d-1/1d+1

Basic Speed 5.5
Basic Move 5

Ground Move 5
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 3 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages:

Advantages
Appearance (Beautiful) [12]
Bard (4) [20]
Charisma (1) [5]
Claim to Hospitality (The upper class) (3) [5]
Fit [5]
Signature Gear (Harp) (2) [2]
Status (+1) [5]
Voice [10]

Disadvantages
Alcoholism [-15]
Code of Honor (Skald's) [-10]
Compulsive Carousing (12 or less) [-5]
Gluttony (12 or less) [-5]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Svartrsung) (Large Group) [-10]

Quirks
Always accepts challenges from other skalds [-1]
Always binges on mead [-1]
Bisexual [-1]
Outrageous flirt [-1]
Poor night vision [-1]

Skills
Acting IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Area Knowledge (local) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Area Knowledge (Norway) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Axe/Mace DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Boating/TL3 (Sailboat) DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Body Language (Human) Per/A - Per+0 14 [2]
Brawling DX/E - DX+0 11 [1]
Broadsword DX/A - DX+1 12 [4]
Carousing HT/E - HT+3 14 [8]
Climbing DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Connoisseur (Food and Drink) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Connoisseur (Literature) IQ/A - IQ+1 13 [4]
Connoisseur (Music) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Cooking IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Current Affairs/TL3 (High Culture) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Current Affairs/TL3 (local region) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Current Affairs/TL3 (People) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Current Affairs/TL3 (Popular Culture) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Detect Lies Per/H - Per+0 14 [4]
Diplomacy IQ/H - IQ+1 13 [2]
includes: +2 from 'Voice'
Fast-Talk IQ/A - IQ+1 13 [1]
First Aid/TL3 (Human) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Fishing Per/E - Per+0 14 [1]
Gambling IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Games (Hnefatafl) IQ/E - IQ+1 13 [2]
Heraldry IQ/A - IQ+3 15 [1]
includes: +4 from 'Bard'
Hiking HT/A - HT-1 10 [1]
History (Scandinavia) IQ/H - IQ+0 12 [4]
Housekeeping IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Intimidation Will/A - Will-1 13 [1]
Law (local) IQ/H - IQ+0 12 [4]
Literature IQ/H - IQ+4 16 [4]
Musical Instrument (Harp) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1]
Naturalist (Earth) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1]
Navigation/TL3 (Land) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Navigation/TL3 (Sea) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Poetry IQ/A - IQ+4 16 [2]
Public Speaking IQ/A - IQ+6 18 [1]
includes: +4 from 'Bard', +2 from 'Voice', +1 from 'Charisma'
Savoir-Faire (High Society) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Savoir-Faire (Military) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Seamanship/TL3 IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Shield (Buckler) DX/E - DX+1 12 [2]
Singing HT/E - HT+6 17 [1]
includes: +4 from 'Bard', +2 from 'Voice'
Sleight of Hand DX/H - DX+1 12 [8]
Spear DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Stealth DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Survival (Open Ocean) Per/A - Per-1 13 [1]
Survival (Woodlands) Per/A - Per-1 13 [1]
Swimming HT/E - HT+0 11 [1]
Teaching IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Theology (Norse) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1]
Weather Sense IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Wrestling DX/A - DX+0 11 [2]

Notes
  • Bard is a skill talent from Power-Ups 3: Talents. It boosts Heraldry, Literature, Musical Influence, Poetry, Public Speaking, and Singing, and gives a reaction bonus to audiences and fellow bards.
  • The Claim to Hospitality is to represent the way the Norse traditions of hospitality apply particularly to skalds - basically, if a skald asks to stay the night, even a normally-miserly jarl will probably allow it, because a skald can spread rumors about your lack of hospitality faster than anyone else.
  • Code of Honor (Skald's) is an elaboration on the Viking Code of Honor from GURPS Vikings: "The ideal Viking must be courageous without being foolhardy, tenacious,
    cheerful, true to his word at all times, hospitable, openhanded and loyal. He must avenge a wrong or an insult, protect his friends and family, live well and die well. Men
    must tell and retell his saga over their ale until the end of time." To this, I'd add "Recount events as faithfully as possible, for friend and foe alike (some embellishment is acceptable, but be even-handed about it - everyone's great deeds are worth retelling). Uphold your honor as a skald would - compliments and gifts should be repaid with verse of high praise, while insults and attacks should be returned with scathing satire. Never fail to recount the good or bad behavior of the powerful - great men have greater responsibility, and their deeds, both fair and foul, should be called out."
  • The "always accepts challenges from other skalds" quirk is a disadvantage embellishment on Overconfidence - essentially, I'll always choose to fail the self-control number on it for those.
  • Likewise, "always binges on mead" is an embellishment for Alcholism. I won't bother to roll Will to avoid a binge if mead is the drink.
  • Outrageous Flirt is basically quirk-level Lecherousness. He'll make "passes" at attractive members of both sexes if they seem receptive. He won't hit on people who he doesn't think are interested, or who are married or otherwise socially unavailable.
  • Poor night vision is from Power-Ups 6: Quirks. It's low-level Night Blindness. In light dimmer than torchlight (-4 darkness penalty or worse), I have an extra -1 to see, and I'm completely blind at -9 darkness penalty.

Hand Weapons
1 Broadsword LC:4 $200 Wgt:3
Swing Dam:1d+2 cut Reach:1 Parry:9 ST:10 Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Broadsword, ST:DX-5, SK:Force Sword-4, SK:Rapier-4, SK:Saber-4, SK:Shortsword-2, SK:Two-Handed Sword-4
Thrust Dam:1d cr Reach:1 Parry:9 ST:10 Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Broadsword, ST:DX-5, SK:Force Sword-4, SK:Rapier-4, SK:Saber-4, SK:Shortsword-2, SK:Two-Handed Sword-4
1 Medium Buckler LC:4 $60 Wgt:15
Dam:1d-1 cr Reach:1 Parry:No ST: Skill:ST:DX-4, SK:Shield (Shield)-2, SK:Shield (Force)-2, SK:Shield (Buckler) Notes:[2,3,4]

Armor & Possessions
1 Backpack, Small $60 Wgt:3 Location:
1 Blanket $20 Wgt:4 Location:
1 Fishhooks & Line $50 Wgt:0 Location:
1 Harp $600 Wgt:7 Location:
1 Leather Armor Suit $340 Wgt:19.5 Location:full suit, skull
1 Sleeping Fur $50 Wgt:8 Location:
3 Torch $9 Wgt:3 Location:
10 Traveler's Rations $20 Wgt:5 Location:
1 Whetstone $5 Wgt:1 Location:
1 Wineskin $10 Wgt:.25 Location:

Medley

Asking for it
Banned
Validated User
Starting to build a character now, but I have a few questions. First, what languages should we expect to encounter? Norse is the native language, I'm assuming, but what other languages are around in the setting? What's the tech level? How much wealth should we start with? That kind of stuff.

I'm glad to see this game is going ahead! Here's my proposed character, Stigandr Fair-Face, skald of the Svartrsung:

Stigandr (just "Stig" to his family and friends, though he'll get prickly about it if you use it in other company - it's undignified) grew up on one of the small farmholds that dot the Svartrsung clan's holdings. He was inclined towards music and poetry from a young age, and attracted the attention of Old Bjorne, who was serving in the Jarl's hall as skald. Bjorne took Stigandr on as an apprentice when he was twelve, and soon after, sailed away with him to Jutland, where Bjorne hailed from, claiming that he needed a "proper hall" to teach young Stigandr anything.

Stigandr stayed away ten years, but when he returned five years ago, he told the Svartrsung that he intended to settle down with his old clan, and be the skald-in-residence for as long as they'd have him. Since then, he's cut a bit of a swathe through the likely ladies (and some of the men) of the farmholds and in Jarl Olafir's hall. His beautiful face and well-groomed golden locks have made people whisper that he was kissed by Baldr when he was born, and he smiles and laughs and never denies it when it comes up. He's perhaps a bit too conscious of his good looks, charm, and beautiful voice, and he enjoys mead, good food, and good company as much as the next man - possibly the next two men, people joke. But Stigandr is definitely a talented skald, capable of both reciting the great sagas and verses of old, and extemporizing a new verse to suit the situation. He enjoys chronicling the exploits of the Svartrsung, and thinks of it as his duty to bring them back to fame and glory.

While his skills are focused on the arts of the skald, Stigandr can keep up with the warriors if necessary. He's decent with a sword and shield, and at least knows how to handle the other major weapons, axe and spear. He's learned to travel as well, and can serve on a ship, hike a good march, and make a passable camp, if a jarl's hall doesn't present itself.

His most cherished possession is his fine harp, given to him upon completing his skaldic training in Jutland. He takes it everywhere, and takes great care of it, always keeping it well-protected and close at hand while he travels. If he were to be forced to jump off a ship, he might not take a sword or some food, but he would certainly take his harp.

Attributes
ST 11 [10]
DX 11 [20]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 11 [10]

HP 11
Will 14 [10]
Per 14 [10]
FP 11

Basic Lift 24
Damage 1d-1/1d+1

Basic Speed 5.5
Basic Move 5

Ground Move 5
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 3 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages:

Advantages
Appearance (Beautiful) [12]
Bard (4) [20]
Charisma (1) [5]
Claim to Hospitality (The upper class) (3) [5]
Fit [5]
Signature Gear (Harp) (2) [2]
Status (+1) [5]
Voice [10]

Disadvantages
Alcoholism [-15]
Code of Honor (Skald's) [-10]
Compulsive Carousing (12 or less) [-5]
Gluttony (12 or less) [-5]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Svartrsung) (Large Group) [-10]

Quirks
Always accepts challenges from other skalds [-1]
Always binges on mead [-1]
Bisexual [-1]
Outrageous flirt [-1]
Poor night vision [-1]

Skills
Acting IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Area Knowledge (local) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Area Knowledge (Norway) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Axe/Mace DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Boating/TL3 (Sailboat) DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Body Language (Human) Per/A - Per+0 14 [2]
Brawling DX/E - DX+0 11 [1]
Broadsword DX/A - DX+1 12 [4]
Carousing HT/E - HT+3 14 [8]
Climbing DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Connoisseur (Food and Drink) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Connoisseur (Literature) IQ/A - IQ+1 13 [4]
Connoisseur (Music) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Cooking IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Current Affairs/TL3 (High Culture) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Current Affairs/TL3 (local region) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Current Affairs/TL3 (People) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Current Affairs/TL3 (Popular Culture) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Detect Lies Per/H - Per+0 14 [4]
Diplomacy IQ/H - IQ+1 13 [2]
Fast-Talk IQ/A - IQ+1 13 [1]
First Aid/TL3 (Human) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Fishing Per/E - Per+0 14 [1]
Gambling IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Games (Hnefatafl) IQ/E - IQ+1 13 [2]
Heraldry IQ/A - IQ+3 15 [1]
Hiking HT/A - HT-1 10 [1]
History (Scandinavia) IQ/H - IQ+0 12 [4]
Housekeeping IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Intimidation Will/A - Will-1 13 [1]
Law (local) IQ/H - IQ+0 12 [4]
Literature IQ/H - IQ+4 16 [4]
Musical Instrument (Harp) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1]
Naturalist (Earth) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1]
Navigation/TL3 (Land) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Navigation/TL3 (Sea) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Poetry IQ/A - IQ+4 16 [2]
Public Speaking IQ/A - IQ+6 18 [1]
includes: +4 from 'Bard', +2 from 'Voice', +1 from 'Charisma'
Savoir-Faire (High Society) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Savoir-Faire (Military) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Seamanship/TL3 IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Shield (Buckler) DX/E - DX+1 12 [2]
Singing HT/E - HT+6 17 [1]
includes: +4 from 'Bard', +2 from 'Voice'
Sleight of Hand DX/H - DX+1 12 [8]
Spear DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Stealth DX/A - DX-1 10 [1]
Survival (Open Ocean) Per/A - Per-1 13 [1]
Survival (Woodlands) Per/A - Per-1 13 [1]
Swimming HT/E - HT+0 11 [1]
Teaching IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Theology (Norse) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1]
Weather Sense IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Wrestling DX/A - DX+0 11 [2]

Notes
  • Bard is a skill talent from Power-Ups 3: Talents. It boosts Heraldry, Literature, Musical Influence, Poetry, Public Speaking, and Singing, and gives a reaction bonus to audiences and fellow bards.
  • The Claim to Hospitality is to represent the way the Norse traditions of hospitality apply particularly to skalds - basically, if a skald asks to stay the night, even a normally-miserly jarl will probably allow it, because a skald can spread rumors about your lack of hospitality faster than anyone else.
  • Code of Honor (Skald's) is an elaboration on the Viking Code of Honor from GURPS Vikings: "The ideal Viking must be courageous without being foolhardy, tenacious,
    cheerful, true to his word at all times, hospitable, openhanded and loyal. He must avenge a wrong or an insult, protect his friends and family, live well and die well. Men
    must tell and retell his saga over their ale until the end of time." To this, I'd add "Recount events as faithfully as possible, for friend and foe alike (some embellishment is acceptable, but be even-handed about it - everyone's great deeds are worth retelling). Uphold your honor as a skald would - compliments and gifts should be repaid with verse of high praise, while insults and attacks should be returned with scathing satire. Never fail to recount the good or bad behavior of the powerful - great men have greater responsibility, and their deeds, both fair and foul, should be called out."
  • The "always accepts challenges from other skalds" quirk is a disadvantage embellishment on Overconfidence - essentially, I'll always choose to fail the self-control number on it for those.
  • Likewise, "always binges on mead" is an embellishment for Alcholism. I won't bother to roll Will to avoid a binge if mead is the drink.
  • Outrageous Flirt is basically quirk-level Lecherousness. He'll make "passes" at attractive members of both sexes if they seem receptive. He won't hit on people who he doesn't think are interested, or who are married or otherwise socially unavailable.
  • Poor night vision is from Power-Ups 6: Quirks. It's low-level Night Blindness. In light dimmer than torchlight (-4 darkness penalty or worse), I have an extra -1 to see, and I'm completely blind at -9 darkness penalty.

Hand Weapons
1 Broadsword LC:4 $200 Wgt:3
Swing Dam:1d+2 cut Reach:1 Parry:9 ST:10 Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Broadsword, ST:DX-5, SK:Force Sword-4, SK:Rapier-4, SK:Saber-4, SK:Shortsword-2, SK:Two-Handed Sword-4
Thrust Dam:1d cr Reach:1 Parry:9 ST:10 Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Broadsword, ST:DX-5, SK:Force Sword-4, SK:Rapier-4, SK:Saber-4, SK:Shortsword-2, SK:Two-Handed Sword-4
1 Medium Buckler LC:4 $60 Wgt:15
Dam:1d-1 cr Reach:1 Parry:No ST: Skill:ST:DX-4, SK:Shield (Shield)-2, SK:Shield (Force)-2, SK:Shield (Buckler) Notes:[2,3,4]

Armor & Possessions
1 Backpack, Small $60 Wgt:3 Location:
1 Blanket $20 Wgt:4 Location:
1 Fishhooks & Line $50 Wgt:0 Location:
1 Harp $600 Wgt:7 Location:
1 Leather Armor Suit $340 Wgt:19.5 Location:full suit, skull
1 Sleeping Fur $50 Wgt:8 Location:
3 Torch $9 Wgt:3 Location:
10 Traveler's Rations $20 Wgt:5 Location:
1 Whetstone $5 Wgt:1 Location:
1 Wineskin $10 Wgt:.25 Location:
I've got a proposal. How would you feel if your character and mine were brothers? Yours, fair and gallant Stigandr, the older brother whisked away to the Jutland to adventure and the romance of the bardic arts; mine, the plain-faced and serious Havardr, the younger son kept near at hand and made to undertake the arduous study of the oral tradition of the law. If you're sensing a bit of bias, that's channeling Havardr's seriously bad case of sibling jealousy. How about it?

Kelly Pedersen

Validated User
I've got a proposal. How would you feel if your character and mine were brothers? Yours, fair and gallant Stigandr, the older brother whisked away to the Jutland to adventure and the romance of the bardic arts; mine, the plain-faced and serious Havardr, the younger son kept near at hand and made to undertake the arduous study of the oral tradition of the law. If you're sensing a bit of bias, that's channeling Havardr's seriously bad case of sibling jealousy. How about it?
I'd be down for that! I find family connections are usually good ones to play, and some sibling rivalry can add some fun drama. Don't worry, little brother, I'll show you how to have a good time at this gathering! :)

Medley

Asking for it
Banned
Validated User
I'd be down for that! I find family connections are usually good ones to play, and some sibling rivalry can add some fun drama. Don't worry, little brother, I'll show you how to have a good time at this gathering! :)
Excellent, that's exactly the kind of thing I expect. By the gods do I curse your name. :giggle:

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
Starting to build a character now,
Stigandr is great!

but I have a few questions. First, what languages should we expect to encounter? Norse is the native language, I'm assuming, but what other languages are around in the setting?
Norse is the only language you can expect to encounter, though it wouldn't be surprising if there are a few foreigners around if you go looking for them. To the West, you have English, Irish Gaelic, Scotch Gaelic. To the south, Danish and the various languages of Germany (German, Frisian, Dutch and others). To the east, Swedish and Finnish (close enough to default to each other). In fact, I'll give a 50% price break on Swedish and Finnish, since they are so close to Norse. A trader from Arabia isn't impossible. Of course, local variations on these languages can make them all but incomprehensible to outsiders. The language of written scholarship among Christians is Latin, but Vikings aren't so keen on writing stuff down. What does someone with the memory of a skland need with written records?

What's the tech level? How much wealth should we start with? That kind of stuff.
TL is early TL 3. We can cosider it TL 3 and I'll call out any anachronisms.

Starting wealth is average for TL 3, so $1,000. It's reasonable to spend all of this on adventuring gear if someone is either a constant wanderer, or is a household retainer such as a huscarl or the jarl's skald. Someone who is neither a wanderer or anyone's household retainer should only spend 20% of that on adventuring gear.

Finally, a note on bisexuality and flirting.

Society is not enlightened regarding sex, though their attitudes don't match American conservative views either.

Penetrating another man is regarded as a minor vice, though hardly scandalous. It isn't even worth a -1 reaction to those who know.

Being penetrated by another man is making oneself a woman, and is highly dishonorable.

Offering to penetrate a free man is, in theory, a deadly insult. Obviously, men do hook up with each other, but it's a tricky and dangerous business.

I will give same sex relationships plot protection against being discovered because playing through discovery would be unfun.

Last edited:

Kelly Pedersen

Validated User
Finally, a note on bisexuality and flirting.

Society is not enlightened regarding sex, though their attitudes don't match American conservative views either.

Penetrating another man is regarded as a minor vice, though hardly scandalous. It isn't even worth a -1 reaction to those who know.

Being penetrated by another man is making oneself a woman, and is highly dishonorable.

Offering to penetrate a free man is, in theory, a deadly insult. Obviously, men do hook up with each other, but it's a tricky and dangerous business.
I was thinking that Stigandr's bisexuality was only quirk-level because he's generally circumspect about expressing attraction to men when among strangers, and with the Svartrsung, he's reached the status of "Oh, that's just Stigandr" - basically, knowing someone well tends to trump general cultural prejudice. If you want me to bump that up to a full-blown Social Stigma (I assume Minority Group would be most appropriate?), I can, though. I only took -50 in disads, so I'm well below the limit.

Greg 1 said:
I will give same sex relationships plot protection against being discovered because playing through discovery would be unfun.
I appreciate that, and I should also mention, should any sex with either gender come up, I'm perfectly happy (indeed, more than the alternative) to just "fade to black" before the sticky part. :)

Top Bottom