• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Recruitment] [The Nightmares Underneath] Byzantium: Nightmares Undreamed Of

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User

Izidor Gašperlin, Ethiopian Warrior

Greetings!

Let's play some TNU. Free edition is here. It's badass. The paid version, with all the artwork, is more badass.

This game will also use rules from the magic supplement The Nameless Grimoire. Don't worry about it if you don't have a copy; we'll figure it out.

This game will also use elements from The Perilous Wilds, Dungeon World, Fate, Vornheim, and other stuff that springs at me in the middle of the night with teeth that refuse to disengage. You don't need to own any of those tangential things. Hopefully you won't notice much when they get introduced to the game.

If you want to learn more about TNU, there's a short Let's Read of it linked in my signature.

Duration

This is likely to be a short-lived thing. My life is sideways right now, prone to chaos and disruption. I'll apologize now, ahead of time, and strive to not do much of that as we progress. We may be at it a month, possibly three. Longer than that is unlikely, but we all can dream. I'm not averse to picking things up again when I'm right-side up, if the stars align.

Style

We'll start play in a fantastical metropolis. This game will dip into wyrdness. We're here to have a ridiculous amount of fun. It will feature social and political combat as much as physical combat. It may not delve overmuch into the eponymous Nightmares of the game. At least, not overtly.

To steal something from [MENTION=14600]Julius Sleazer[/MENTION]:

I should probably write up a style guide for my game at some point, but I don't think that that's a huge priority right now. One thing I would like to mention is that in Wyzard's first OD&D campaign, I really liked it how there were basically no posts about what characters were thinking, wishing, or hoping. I'd like to get back to that; it's hard for other PC or NPCs to respond to IC posts about what a character is thinking.

Also, in my games, it is not at all unusual or outré for characters to announce exactly what they are thinking and feeling. I mean, people obviously dissemble, conceal, and lie with frequency, but announcing intentions or emotions to all and sundry happens with great frequency. Elevated volume is also a thing, too.

For instance, a barbarian might say: "The life of drafty huts and dirty hags shall no more be my own! I intend to strap on a broadsword and wander the wasteland until my attitude has been so seasoned that an adventuring company will accept me with alacrity!"

If given an insulting offer in a negotiation, rather than brooding quietly, a character might well say: "You insult me terribly! The twin serpents of shame and wrath coil themselves around my gall-bladder and spleen, flooding me with ill humors! Modify your meretricious mode of merchanting, or mope mightily as malicious murder mocks your means of mass profiteering!"

Obviously there are exceptions (magic spells or items which allow direct thought-to-thought communication, or necessary OOC asides to explain utterly unexpected behavior), but in general characters either speak freely (on the spot or later) or else maintain stolid stoicism.
Rolling dice: I'm going to roll for some stuff, you'll roll for some stuff. I don't have it all figured out yet, but this will probably default to players stating intentions and GM rolling for resolution most of the time, for expediency.

Posting rate: Daily, please

Player Selection

This is not first-come, first-served, but I'm not intending to drag out player selection. Post your interest, I'll supply attribute rolls for you, post up your character. Add a paragraph about why you want to play in the game and what you look for in games. By the end of the weekend, I'll make selections. I'm looking for five players.

PCs

I'm undecided whether to allow the Additional Professions. If you must play one, make a case for it. You'll be skirting the edge, but perhaps you'll strike lightning.

Here's the bit that made me decide that TNU was forever going to be among my favorite games. It applies here.

The Nightmares Underneath said:
Appearance

Your character may be beautiful, ugly, striking, or plain; of any race, gender, sexual orientation, and biological construction you desire; wearing any type of clothing (or not). You might be brown or white, elf or dwarf, angel or snake-tailed minotaur—as long as you are not a nightmare, you may choose as you will. Use your imagination. The numbers on your sheet remain the same, and you do not get any superhuman abilities (like flying or breathing fire) because of your appearance.

You should also decide whether you are an anomaly or if there are many like you, and whether you are celebrated, persecuted, tolerated, or unremarkable in the kingdoms that you frequent.
We're probably not playing in the default setting of the lawful and Arabian Kingdom of Dreams, so don't marry yourself to that. Our play area is definitely a place that is not overly fond of the Chaotic, but you're adventurers, and trouble is your way of life (as is the case in the base setting). So Chaotic and Evil are viable alignment choices; note that TNU makes them especially viable (p. 86).

In addition to your Attributes, Profession, Alignment, Appearance, and Motivations (per the book), please supply three Aspects: Background, Defining Aspect, Secret. Be evocatively succinct.

Here's an example:

Edmurton Hrubb, Chaotic Champion

Aspects

Gentleman of the Sword (Background)
At the core of Edmurton's demeanor and identity is his self-conception as a gentleman and a duellist. The honor of the sword represents his core convictions on how a gentleman must carry himself.

Impassioned Securer of Darkest Lore (Defining Aspect)
Having known decades of subjugation to the will of dark agencies, Edmurton now applies his expertise to the securing of the tools of those agencies, that they not fall into the hands of men.

Powerless at Her Hand (Secret)
Edmurton is entirely in the thrall of Almerin of the Seventh Stair, his erstwhile lover. He knows that she is an agent of an unknown entity and he hates himself for his powerlessness against her. He possesses wit enough to know that he is unlikely to refuse any request from her, and so has established certain safeguards against her influence.
Don't trouble yourself at this point with Spells, Equipment, or Social Class. We'll cover that after selection.

Additional Features
After player selection, as we delve further into chargen, we'll develop some contacts and establishments in the city around you. Each PC will start play invested into a Notable Institution (p 125). Don't trouble yourself with that now.

I think that's enough for now.

To apply as a player:

• Post interest
  • I'll roll attributes for you
  • Post your character concept, including Attributes, Profession, Alignment, Motivations, and Appearance, as well as your three Aspects (Background, Defining Aspect, Secret)
  • Don't trouble yourself at this point with Spells, Equipment, or Social Class
  • Add a paragraph about why you want to play in the game and what you look for in games.
Thanks for reading this and considering the game! If nothing else, go download the free edition of The Nightmares Underneath by Johnstone Metzger. It's a treat and a treasure. Your gaming life will be better for having read it.

Edit #1: more game details here, a few posts down.

Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
I'm always in for one of your games.
That's a pleasure to hear!

Charisma | Dexterity | Ferocity | Health | Intelligence | Willpower, in order. You can swap one set around (e.g., swap Intelligence for Dexterity).

Attributes for Lysus: 6#3d6 11 12 10 8 9 8

Social Class said:
Use your social class modifier in place of your Charisma modifier for initial reaction rolls when meeting law-abiding citizens in Byzantium. For subsequent reaction rolls, or reaction rolls by people who already know who you are, use your Charisma as normal. You may also use your social class modifier instead of your Charisma modifier when communicating by letter with law-abiding citizens and government bodies.

Social Class for Lysus' character; Random Starting Gear: 3d6 7 3d6 4

Social Class: 6-8 | Most peasants. Poor proletariats. Well-off servants and slaves. | -1 to Social Class rolls
Starting Gear: Poor But Free or Caged in Comfort - you are a poor freeman, a member of the proletariat, or a well-off servant, with a Social Class modifier of -1

You can choose between these two starting gear sets:

The Nightmares Underneath

• You have a backpack, a bedroll, a lucky charm amulet, a wineskin, a week of rations, a spyglass, and either a light crossbow and a quiver with 2 dozen crossbow bolts or a short bow and a quiver with 2 dozen arrows.
The Nameless Grimoire

• You have a blank notebook and a bottle of ink (but no quills), a handful of fake gemstones, a set of tools for the low-class occupation of your choice, and a bottle of cheap moonshine liquor.
and also

• If you have mastered spells, you also have an innocuous spellbook and a travel memoir describing the local area (a neighborhood in Byzantium).

Last edited:

thirdkingdom

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm interested, but it will probably be another week or two before I've actually got some free time.

Atlictoatl