• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Red Dead Redemption 2 discussion/playthrough - one more big score

Goodsport

Adventurer
Validated User
Red Dead Online (no longer in beta mode) just got what appears to be the aforementioned Big Spring Update today, with even more updates (including a role system) to be implemented in the next few weeks.

Among all the other exciting stuff is what I'd been waiting for the most: the new choice in Playing Style, the Defensive Style of which will apparently make things much more difficult for griefers to do their thing. :) The abundant griefing was what had kept me from playing lately :(, so I can't wait to jump back in and implement the new features.

-G

Andrew Sheeler

Crime Fighter
Validated User
Started a third playthrough. This time, I'm not really bothering with collectables unless I come across them naturally. I'm also not playing with the map HUD turned on, though I will use it to get my bearings from time to time. I really love this game.

Anaguma

Social Justice Fishwife
Validated User
Started a third playthrough. This time, I'm not really bothering with collectables unless I come across them naturally. I'm also not playing with the map HUD turned on, though I will use it to get my bearings from time to time. I really love this game.
A Youtuber is doing a playthrough with no guns, and in first person view. Maybe do that for your forth playthrough? :)

I'm slowly winding through Chapter 6 still. The mood change in our camp now is palpable. You can feel the end coming from everyone in the gang, and it's depressing as hell. It felt like, up until Chapter 5, we had a nice thing going (kidnappings and murder aside, of course). And now it's all gone to shit. There's a feeling of inevitability to it all, which is something I'm sure Rockstar was going for.

My next main mission is with Dutch and Micah, and I am NOT looking forward to it.

Graywolf

Taking a knee
Validated User
At this point, I can get around by reading landmarks in New Hanover better than I can in my own hometown IRL.

I might need a Red Dead Intervention.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
So!

I bought this on Monday, having decided a 30% off sale was as good a time as any. And while I'm enjoying it so far...holy hell is it frustrating for saves not to save where you save them. I assume Rockstar did this so people wouldn't save before a key moment and replay it a few different ways, but goddamn is it frustrating to go back to a save and find out it's not where you actually saved it, either by location or by actions performed. All I wanted to do was try feeding Kieran, the prisoner, and trying a few ways to do it - talking with him, getting really up close, grabbing food, then dropping food right int front of him in the hopes that he could get it - and after having to defuse the situation, losing the food on the ground, and then finding out I couldn't eat again for a few days, I said "Fuck this, I'm reloading"...only to find the save I made 30 minutes ago while fiddling about the camp was now exactly after the moment I tried going back from.

So I went back to an even earlier save and lost maybe an hour or so of gameplay, because fuck that. I'll keep this horseshit in mind as I progress through the game, but it feels like there shouldn't even be a manual save if the save is going to "keep recording" until you progress to another location/mission.

This problem was compounded by the fact that I ran into it right after having to reload because of a shitty control scheme/mandatory action problem. When you're setting up the detonator to rob the train in the beginning of the game, you can only move in one direction. And you can't drop the wire. And my horse was in front of the detonator. And wouldn't move. I found out I could lead the horse, but after I did, I was still stuck on a straight path...now heading off into the middle of nowhere. Away from the detonator. With the wire I couldn't drop.

Now maybe there's some action I could have taken, but there were no onscreen tips and none of the buttons responded (other than moving forward or going into menus). Between the horse ride down to the train and then trying to figure out some way, any way, to get to the damn detonator, I probably wasted 15 or so minutes that I needed to play all over again. Having those two back-to-back - the detonator problem and the save issue - I was about ready to scream.

As well reviewed as this game is, it's felt extraordinarily frustrating so far.

Nessalantha

Validated User
Unfortunately, many of these open world kind of games tend not to have save schemes which allow save scumming. I abuse the crap out of quick saves in a lot of games, but I have to be more careful in games like this.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
It's not an issue with Bethesda games, which are what I'm used to, or Breath of the Wild or Dragon Age Inquisition. I haven't played a Rockstar game in forever, though and I also don't remember giving much of a shit about what I did in the GTA games because they're vastly more linear. I've played plenty of games that had limited save game ability, but this is literally the first game that had a manual, almost-any-time save function that did not save the game at the exact moment you saved the game.

Running into save game functionality that I don't believe I've ever run into in 35+ years of gaming was rage inducing. More so because of the stupid detonator and wire issue earlier.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
It's not a bad idea to manually save frequently, but yeah it isn't a game that wants people saving/reloading frequently. Which combined with controls that take a little while to master means that most RDR2 players eventually have an experience of eventually shooting or running over someone they hadn't intended to and having it spiral into a showdown with the law, but pushing ahead anyway because it's just not worth losing other progress or trying to guess at what point they'll come back if they reload. It rarely has any actual significant longterm impact on one's playthrough--even a high honor playthrough is totally salvagaeable after an accidental killing spree or three, and death/jail/losing money/getting bounties are all not that big a deal--but if you're coming to it from a more Bethesda-esque mindset it can definitely be jarring.

ogier300

Validated User
I've discovered the trick to surviving the west - shoot everyone who draws on you with your shotgun. More than once. And if you're in the swamps, shoot them even after they stop moving just on principle.

I figure this trick will last until I run out of shotgun shells.

Top Bottom