• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Red Dead Redemption 2 discussion/playthrough - one more big score

Critias

Social Justice Galliard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've discovered the trick to surviving the west - shoot everyone who draws on you with your shotgun. More than once. And if you're in the swamps, shoot them even after they stop moving just on principle.

I figure this trick will last until I run out of shotgun shells.
Shotguns ARE pretty great. As in some fiction I recently shared with my Patreon backers...

"Between then – my first kill – and now – my most recent – I had only ever solidified in my certainty that a good side-by-side scattergun was not terribly unlike the Fist of God. There are, I had discovered time and again in those intervening years, a great many of life’s problems that can be solved with certainty and alacrity in equal measure by the generous application of a handful of buckshot moving at speed and placed well. Saying nothing of the weapon’s utility in matters of the hunt, and concerning ourselves solely with the effects on two-legged beasts instead of on fowl, fauna, and other targets, there is simple just no damned denying that a good messenger’s gun, fired with zeal and at the earliest opportunity, will absolutely ruin one poor sumbitch’s day for damned sure, and that the presence of a second barrel, loaded and ready to go, will make at least one other poor sumbitch think twice about the idiot goddamned life choices that put him at the wrong end of it."

Andrew Sheeler

Crime Fighter
Validated User
I've discovered the trick to surviving the west - shoot everyone who draws on you with your shotgun. More than once. And if you're in the swamps, shoot them even after they stop moving just on principle.

I figure this trick will last until I run out of shotgun shells.
My pump shotgun is my very best friend in RDR2, and I never walk into any planned skirmish without it.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
IME the best weapon in the game is the varmint rifle. Great range and rate of fire, and the low damage is irrelevant for headshots, so just take cover so when you pop out you'll autoaim center mass, flick the thumbstick up so the autoaim recents on the head, fire, take cover, repeat. shotguns are helpful for big predators when you aren't concerned with maintaing the hide, but for mowing through a mass of human enemies the varmint rifle is the best

ogier300

Validated User
IME the best weapon in the game is the varmint rifle. Great range and rate of fire, and the low damage is irrelevant for headshots, so just take cover so when you pop out you'll autoaim center mass, flick the thumbstick up so the autoaim recents on the head, fire, take cover, repeat. shotguns are helpful for big predators when you aren't concerned with maintaing the hide, but for mowing through a mass of human enemies the varmint rifle is the best
I tend to find my encounters with folks are going sideways when I'm standing rather close to them, so the varmit rifle isn't as helpful. A couple big booms from the shotgun clears a room right-quick, and I ain't skinning the swamp people.

I will need to work on getting more headshots with the varmit rifle, though. I haven't mastered hunting peaceful herbivores yet.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
I beat the game last week, and songs from it are about all I've been listening to since, with pretty copious amounts of repeating them. This game's stuck with me in a way that no other has; it's beautifully realized. I hope there's a decent quality version of the various songs the characters sing in-game that comes out eventually.

ogier300

Validated User
My one main disappointing moment so far (excluding the many accidental hit the wrong button and shoot a citizen moments) - doing a stupid mission with Micah, who's lipping off at me, and shooting him 5 times with my semi-autoshotgun, only for him to tell me to "knock that off, Arthur" and go back to spouting his inane BS.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I haven't played the game for a while - life, work, and family got in the way - but I dusted it off and played for a few hours this past weekend.

I dearly love this game. I have never felt so wonderfully immersed in such a beautiful, vibrant world. And here's the funny part - I am still in Chapter 2, and have no desire whatsoever to progress further in the story. I am perfectly happy playing poker, wandering through the map, finding odd and unexpected little areas, feeding my horse, occasionally hunting for game, doing crafts, customizing weapons, losing to Tillie in dominoes just to hear her talk trash, you name it.

I know (spoilers) that things take a turn for the worse after Chapter 3 and I, like Arthur, don't really want to get there.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
After beating it, I started up a new game with the express purpose of just staying in chapter 2 or 3 for...well, maybe not forever, but close to. I still have a save from the epilogue that'll I'll go back to, but I want to have the option to just fire up the game at any time to beat Strauss at Poker or haul a deer into camp or hunt for ghosts in spooky swamps.

I actually cried three times while playing the game, and listening to one of the songs at work brought tears to my eyes.

My one main disappointing moment so far (excluding the many accidental hit the wrong button and shoot a citizen moments) - doing a stupid mission with Micah, who's lipping off at me, and shooting him 5 times with my semi-autoshotgun, only for him to tell me to "knock that off, Arthur" and go back to spouting his inane BS.
I died twice on the stupid Micah mission in Strawberry because I kept trying to shoot him. Not realizing until the second try that I couldn't.

Nessalantha

Validated User
He's not joking when he says he's a survivor!

On my first playthrough, I failed the mission because I left Micah behind and he got killed. I was so not interested in killing everyone in Strawberry.

Top Bottom