IC Red Markets - Get Rich or Die Trying

Rowenn552

Validated User
"Terrace, you've been out here before where we are now, with only the grace of God between you and becoming a monster or a monster's dinner.”
You can see Terrace start to sweat. He reaches for his tablet, his left pointer finger hovering over the screen. There’s a slight tremble that you can make out.

You suspect he’s about to cancel the call but he retracts his finger and hand and collects himself but there’s something brewing up. It’s like a calm before a storm.

“You say monster. Heh. Yeah, right.”

He pauses and you can tell he’s trying to get out what he wants to say but he’s sort of unsure how to do it when just hits the table he’s seated at and blurts...

It’s an aberrant! Ok?! I want the fucking island but a god damned thing that shouldn’t fucking be is in the fucking lake!”

His face is red at this point and he’s spitting as he’s talking. A man that seemed like a rock in previous conversations has just crumbled before you.

“I can’t get the image of it out of my head - I barely made it back to shore - I ran and ran - I thought this god damned life was going to be behind me - and then this *THING* steals my retirement from me.

Yeah I lied, sort of. The first crew I sent got chased onto the island. They wanted to hunt that thing down. It was a monster hunt they said. Fools. But I was paying well and it’s what they wanted. I knew I’d never find a crew crazy enough to do what they were attempting so I decided to use them. Are they squatting on my land? Yes, they are. It’s a legitimate job posting! What happened to the other crews that happened upon that monster in the lake? Probably fucking swallowed up by it. I figured eventually some crew would manage to put it down in the process of evicting that first crew.”

His chest is heaving and he slugs back a cup of water.

“So there you fucking go. You quitting too or are you going to be fucking professionals?!

He’s an emotional wreck at this point and just silently staring at you.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Collar

"Terrace," Collar says, his voice still calm, "through the ministry of the Church, I absolve you of the weight of your sins. Through the grace of God we will attempt to cleanse this land for you, but only through penance for what has gone before will you truly find peace. Your penance is to relive those moments in enough detail to tell us what we need to know to engage with the creature. What can you tell us about the aberrant? Its size; its shape; anything you saw it do; anything you saw hurt it."

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Kennel

Kennel didn't say a word at the revelation that they were going after some kind of monster from their nightmares. He kept it all in quietly as he walked away, pacing out a part of the beach. Back, and forth, and back, and then turning decisivly on his heel and returning to the group. It was hard to read his face behind the busy beard but his eyes were grim and set. "Double," he said. "The fucking-abomination-monster killing rate is double. Or we can just spread this all around the Loss."

Rowenn552

Validated User
Collar

"Terrace," Collar says, his voice still calm, "through the ministry of the Church, I absolve you of the weight of your sins. Through the grace of God we will attempt to cleanse this land for you, but only through penance for what has gone before will you truly find peace. Your penance is to relive those moments in enough detail to tell us what we need to know to engage with the creature. What can you tell us about the aberrant? Its size; its shape; anything you saw it do; anything you saw hurt it."
He seems to calm, at least slightly, at your words. He takes big sucking breaths and lets them out slowly.

“It’s huge. Some kind of tangled mass of blight rolling along the lake I would guess. I watched it before, it lured Casualties into the water before crashing over them like a wave. Taking them into itself... growing. Animals, fish, people too... it’s like it can sense when something is close to or in the water but it doesn’t pursue too far out of the water. I don’t understand it.”

He starts to look frantic again and laughs, “I guess that’s the deal with these things right? We can’t understand them.. because they break the god damned rules...”, he cools it and then manages to sob out, “It - it... it killed my old crew; it made them a part of it.”

Back, and forth, and back, and then turning decisivly on his heel and returning to the group. It was hard to read his face behind the busy beard but his eyes were grim and set. "Double," he said. "The fucking-abomination-monster killing rate is double. Or we can just spread this all around the Loss."
Collar you can see Terrace’s face harden.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Collar

Collar you can see Terrace’s face harden.
"As you know, Terrace, mentions of aberrants cause stress. Hold just for a moment." Collar mutes the line. He turns to Kennel; his tone doesn't change: "That outburst was unproductive."

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Whisper

Whisper, face hard, finds a good sniper's vantage point over the lake with enough distance that she can get multiple shots off before anything coming from it could reach her.

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Collar

"As you know, Terrace, mentions of aberrants cause stress. Hold just for a moment." Collar mutes the line. He turns to Kennel; his tone doesn't change: "That outburst was unproductive."
"Hey, piss off, Padre!" Kennel spat into the lake. "Getting rid of squatters is one thing. Getting rid of some goddamn Loss boogeyman nightmare? Hell no!" He shook his head angrily, heading back down the beach. "You see grenades on me? You see a goddamn bomb strapped to my back? I don't hunt goddamn Blight-sacks! I sneak around that kind of bullshit, I don't run at it!!"

IronMongoose

Validated User
Moonchild

Moonchild can hear the others bickering behind him, but he's not really paying attention to it. He has something of a slouch to his posture as he walks towards the boat, the physical equivalent of a sigh of resignation.

Lady fate, it seems, has dealt him another unlucky hand.

But he is getting a little tired of just eating her shit, and just this once, he feels like throwing it back in her face.

He reaches the boat and starts to untie the mooring before turning back to the other and holding his shotgun aloft.

"Hey!" He shouts, "If you guys want to stand around and fight that's your problem, but I intend to actually get paid. Some of us have loved ones we want to see before they die!"

He slowly lowers his gun to point towards the lake. "And apparently there's some creepy motherfucker over there spreading bad vibrations. I don't know about you lot, but I for one feel like going over there and kicking its ass!"

He stands there with a stern look on his face. I'm too sober for this, he thinks.

Last edited:

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Collar

Collar says. "I am going to unmute this line and end the call with our client, and then, with the grace of God, we are going to do the job that we are being paid to do. Pay to all what is owed to them, as the Book says."

Collar unmutes the line and quickly says: "We will call you back when the job is done." He ends the call.

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Whisper

Whisper figures Collar will deal with the people problem that's developed. That's not her territory. She keeps her eyes on the water, and her gun ready to shoot the shit out of anything that gets near her team.

Top Bottom