IC Red Markets - Get Rich or Die Trying

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Collar

Collar says. "I am going to unmute this line and end the call with our client, and then, with the grace of God, we are going to do the job that we are being paid to do. Pay to all what is owed to them, as the Book says."

Collar unmutes the line and quickly says: "We will call you back when the job is done." He ends the call.
Kennel marched back down to the shore, kicking at random rocks and clumps of mud. At the edge of the water he turned back around and shouted back at Collar, his voice echoing off the landscape. "The job was to move squatters! The job wasn't killing monsters!"

OOC: That's gotta be his weak spot.
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Collar

Kennel marched back down to the shore, kicking at random rocks and clumps of mud. At the edge of the water he turned back around and shouted back at Collar, his voice echoing off the landscape. "The job was to move squatters! The job wasn't killing monsters!"

OOC: That's gotta be his weak spot.
Collar's voice is still calm, but is showing a tinge of frustration. "Have you ever read Chronicles, Kennel? Or had it read to you? Be strong and courageous and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God is with you. The world will be a better place without whatever monster lurks in that lake, and there may yet be souls on that island to be saved."
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Whisper

Whisper keeps her breathing calm and steady. Her finger is stretched alongside the trigger guard. Her hat, which says 'Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!' is turned so the brim blocks glare from the sun. She's got good angles from her vantage point.

She slows her breathing down even more, and steels her mind for what's about to happen. She thinks about warning the padre, then puts it out of her mind. No distractions.
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
Whisper,
No distractions. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Down below Kennel is throwing a fuss, the FNG...
You close your eyes and - Breathe in - open them and - Breathe ou... the fuck?

You sight back in, back to the lake between the island and the shore... the fuck? That wasn’t there before..

Collar and Moonchild,
Kennel is throwing a fit and to be honest somewhere inside it’s rightfully so. However if you backed out or Terrace had gotten pissed and just said eff off then you’d have been two jobs out of pay.
The people that depend on you have been in bad shape. So you suck up the crappy situation and ... is that someone screaming?

Whisper,
In the lake you see -suddenly- as if appearing out of nowhere, well maybe not out of nowhere but they sure as shit weren’t there a blink ago but there they are, a person, maybe a girl(?), thrashing about in the water screaming for help between gargles.

The others seem perked to something but it’s probably hard for them to hear over Kennel’s yelling.
When you look back at the girl it looks weird, scripted, a loop... or something. There’s something else though, *big*, a dark shadow that begins to become more obvious.

Then without warning the drowning girl begins to just rocket along skimming atop the water just straight towards the others. Propelled forth by that large dark shape all the while screaming for help and thrashing in her goddamned death loop.

There’s no time to yell it’s that fast.

No distractions. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Kennel,
You’re pissed and throwing a fit and probably looking like an asshole but who fucking cares! This guy just sent you all on a suicide mission and you deserve to be paid for it!

You could probably stop with the argument but you’re in it now and not giving up on your case. And god damned if kicking that rock in the lake didn’t feel fucking good.

You reach down and grab another when you notice Collar and Moonchild looking not at you but towards the lake, fear painted across their faces. It’s then when you realize Rags barking at the lake and tugging at your leg.

It’s only then when you realize a sudden darkening as you look for yourself, your hand just inches above a real nice looking rock, to see a wave of blight some twenty feet high rising out of the lake. An oozing tower of blight filled with the many corpses of its victims and you set to be just another on display.

It’s all slow motion then, the priest and the hippy scrambling for purchase to get away; Rags, your good boy and companion, trying so selflessly to get you away from the coming danger; the many lashing, oozing tendrils; the longer thick pseudopod ending in a full body of a girl, a Casualty, swinging about in the air, covered in blight screaming for help and thrashing her death throes forever and always stuck there in limbo and used as some lure like an angler fish might with its light; and the wall-like body covered in the dead faces of both people and animals, their mouths chomping mindlessly and so many milky eyes lolling in tandem, focused on you...

Collar and Moonchild,
There’s nearly no time to react, it’s so sudden. You saw it come, but it was so fast. The only saving grace for yourselves might be that it seems somewhat focused on Kennel for the moment.

It is a tangled mass of rotting corpses both of Casualties but also animals such as deer, bear, squirrels, and fish all held together by sinuous blight... everything in it is dead but all of its limbs flail, arms, legs, feet, hooves, and claws swing about while its mouths open and shut biting mindlessly at the air for whatever they can get in touch with...

And then it crashes down...

OOC: So there’s the monster of Heron Lake.

Kennel you have one temp WIL which you may end up needing here.

Everyone needs to make Self-Control against TRAUMA.
This is a Level 4 test for Collar, Kennel, and Moonchild with a +2 to the Red.
This is a Level 3 test for Whisper with a +2 to the Red.


This is essentially a stampede as far as those close to the situation are concerned which is reason for the higher Level test.

Whisper,
You this thing coming and can take a shot first. It’s fast, the body and everything in it is roiling around. It’s a mess and it’s fucking with your head.
You know it has heads. Killing the brain or whatever is what brings down Casualties it’s just... this thing is all over. It’s going to require a Called Shot. You’ll make it at +2 to the Red.
Normally a called shot uses both your actions and happens at the end of a round but you were psyching yourself up and ready.

Collar and Moonchild,
You need to GTFO. After the SC check make an Athletics to get out of dodge. That roll will be made at +2 to the Red.
This is HOT blight Collar so don’t get hit or do and we find out if you’re naturally latent or Immune... or infected.
Luckily for you guys the focus of the attack is on Kennel so if you get hit you’ll be taking the Black in Killing damage +1d4 to the natural Red location.

Kennel,
You’re in a bad place bud. Bad first run. You also need to make an Athletics check to avoid this wave of Hot Hot Blight. You’re making it at +2 to the Red.
If you get hit by this you’ll be taking the Black in Killing +9 to the Red Location *and* you’ll need to make a Resistance check at +2 to the Red to avoid being tangled up in the mass of enveloping blight.

If either Collar or Kennel receive Killing Damage I’ll roll for infection each time that damage is received. There’s no time for a blood test until after this thing is put down or Moonchild gets some breathing room to stick you in the heat of the fight.

Good luck folks! This might get ugly.
 
Last edited:

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
OOC: Let's do this in order.
Self-Control +3 -2: 2#1d10 2 1 So close! Only 2 Trauma.
Then we run away. Athletics check +2 -2: 2#1d10 9 7 Got that far away!
Ordering Rags to peel off in a different direction and, I dunno, try to split its attention? Then using my tactic to GET MORE AWAY!
Athletics check +2 -2: 2#1d10 3 5 That one fails, because of course. Oh well, spend the Will to flip it, 5/3.
And now I'm out of Rations.


Kennel

"... And another goddamn thing! If you all thing you're such professionals, why am I the only one who's angry about being lied to?" He reached down for another rock to lob at the uncaring island when he saw it. The rolling, shambling mass of dead things and pulsing Blight and all the nightmares of the Loss made into hideous, horrible reality. Kennel gave a high-pitched scream and fairly leapt backwards, half-falling over as he turned and backpedaled at the same time, desperately putting space between him and it. He gave a shout of "Barks!" to his dog, who raced off along the shoreline raising all sorts of ruckus. Kennel kept trying to make distance, feeling his heart hammer in his chest and the air burning in his lungs as he ran.
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Jesus Mary, son of Joseph. That. Shouldn't. Be. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Whisper tracks the creature through her Ubiq glasses, lines up the lead time, accounts for foliage and wind drag, breathes steadily in and out, then fires in the natural respiratory pause.

At least, she meant to. That fucking thing... she snapped the shot off just a touch too soon. Nerves. Even Whisper has them, sometimes. She has the sense that she only *just* missed...

OOC: Self-Control +3, +2 to Red: 1d10 5 1d10 2 8/4 Success, 1 Trauma taken
Shoot +3, +2 with Deadeyes Hack / Called Shot +2 to Red: 1d10 3 1d10 7 8/9 Called Shot misses, charges marked

I'll spend Will to flip that result, if we're all good with that.
 

IronMongoose

Registered User
Validated User
OOC: Self Control: 1d10 7 1d10 7

Well shit.

Athletics: 1d10 3 1d10 6

Spending a WIL to flip those around


"Oh fuck me!"

Moonchild shouts and quickly rolls out of the way as the beast rumbles past, landing face-first in the sandy edge of the lake before picking himself back up.

Not exactly dignified, but unharmed. He quickly wipes himself down and turns to face towards the Aberrant.
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Collar

OOC:
Self Control +2/+2 Red = 9/4 [7; 2]. Lucky. A 4-hit would have caused a Crumble.

Athletics +1, +3 Rations (all he has left on that Refresh) + 2 Roach (one each of Stress and Detachment, marked) vs. Red +2 = 14/5 [8; 3]. Lucky again.

I'll use a Refresh [2/3 left] on Rations.


The same survival instincts that got Collar out of El Paso despite the death of the rest of his Enclave kick in here. He dives out of the way and scrambles up the beach on all fours away from the abomination.
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
The Aberrant, that thing that should not be *SMASHES!* into the ground sending blight spattering in all directions.

It roils and boils and bubbles, folding in upon itself over and over. It’s inky surface constantly in motion, the many champing corpses being rolled about within its depths. It’s nearly hypnotic as it reforms itself up but there’s no time to look too long because it is also fast... so fast.

It takes those biting casualties and animals and uses them as many appendages, slamming them into the ground to propel itself forward when a head on its upper area explodes. There are more plips and plops in the same area but the headshot seemed to have given it pause if only for a split second.

Whisper and her beautiful, beautiful aim.

Unfortunately the shot does nothing to stop the thing’s forward motion as it rushes forward maintaining its focus on Kennel.
As it nears the archer a thick limb rockets forth from the main trunk, lashing out in a wide arc...

OOC: Initiative and Target
Spoiler: Show

Init works by everyone making a test modded by their SPD. I rolled the following 4 sets of d10s. As the Market I take whichever Red dice I want for my forces... unfortunately that would be the 10.
http://orokos.com/roll/712354: 8#1d10 7 10 6 8 3 2 4 8

Target?: Collar 1, Kennel 2, Moonchild 3, Rags 4: 1d4 2 = Kennel


Kennel - Before anything else you need to make an Athletics check to dodge away from this thing. The roll is made with a +2 to the Red.
On a failure you will suffer the Natural Black +8 to the Red Hit Location. I will make an infection check (STR test) and you will also need to make a Resistance check with a +2 to the Red. Remember, only on a failed Athletics.

If you choose to move away as well it will take up your whole action. Otherwise you can choose to just dodge and stand your ground, either striking out with a melee weapon and hoping for a Crit or prepping an arrow.

What do you do?

Collar and Moonchild - you are both free to act. You can each make an Awareness test to see if you noticed the hesitation from the Aberrant following Whisper’s headshot.
Regardless if you think that you’d go for a Called Shot you can do that anyway, it takes up your Tactic and Twitch actions (essentially you’re whole turn).
Attacks against the Aberrant add +2 to the Red.

Moonchild, recall that you are mad with Violence and Rage and You. Will. Fight.

Collar what do you do?

Whisper - Click Click Click... fuck it all you’re mag is empty. How long were you on that trigger? Doesn’t matter much now, you saw the reaction that thing had... you fucking hurt it.
Fishing a new mag our and refreshing your rifle will take your action (it’s a Task Action). Otherwise you can draw a pistol (if you have one) and make an Athletics test to get down into the action and into range for the handgun. That would expose yourself to danger though and you still couldn’t make the Called Shot, you’d be relying on a Crit Success.

What do you do?
 

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
OOC: Athletics Check +2 -2: 2#1d10 4 3
Kennel avoids the attack, but now Kennel is out of rations and gassed. So now he needs to take a turn to Refresh his Rations... which means he can't run away.
Uh, punch at it? That would require Kennel rolling under his STR of 1.
There's literally nothing Kennel can do this round.
 
Top Bottom