IC Red Markets - Get Rich or Die Trying

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Whisper

Huh. That might be the first time in Whisper's experience that putting multiple bullets in something that was still moving didn't seem to have any more effect than the first. Interesting.

She's perfectly aware of the mayhem transpiring below her, but Whisper didn't get the rep she has by losing her cool and running into danger to feel better about herself. She has her sniper's nest, she knows she can drop this thing. What she has to do now is remain fucking cool and collected.

She reloads her rifle, the action swift in her practiced hands. As she does so, she looks for her next target on the monstrosity.
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Collar

OOC: I don't think I need to make a roll to move farther away, because the thing isn't actively attacking Collar, but let me know if that's wrong and you want an Athletics check.

The Ubiq specs thing is because I'm going to use Deadeye when I shoot at it next round and I wanted some fictional justification.


Collar continues to scramble away from the thing while righting his Ubiq specs on his face.
 

IronMongoose

Registered User
Validated User
OOC: I'm going to use a Full Offense, so that converts my twitch into a tactic.

For my first attack I'm using an extra two charges to negate the +2 to the red:
Shoot 1: 1d10+2 9 1d10 8

For my second attack, just one:

Shoot 2: 1d10+1 7 1d10 1

That should hopefully annoy it, although now my shotgun is out of charges thanks to Hungry.
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
Collar,
It’s difficult to comprehend how a normal Casualty perceives the world around it let alone this abomination.
But you suspect that with as many eyes and ears as it has, how many Casualties make up its hellish form, it can sense everything around it.

Regardless, you hobble away putting a little more distance between yourself and it... you hope it’s enough and you wish you were a little bit quicker...

Kennel,
You manage to duck and roll away from the thick tendril of blight that’s swung at you. You come up in a crouch holding an arrow in one hand...
Somewhere nearby your brave brave companion Rags barks and barks trying to draw this thing’s attention but it’s of little use as the air is ripped apart by the roaring reports of Moonchild’s shotgun.

Whisper,
You fish for a new magazine and slam it home. Locked and loaded and sighted... what the fuck now.
BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!!

Moonchild, yeah that was his shotgun. You sight in and see him... is he walking forward unloading that thing?!

Moonchild,
Die. Die. Die MotherFUCKER. DIE!!!

******

We get a scenic aerial shot of the lake and the surrounding area. It’s peaceful, serene.

The serenity is broken by loud gunshots and we see some birds take flight from trees. The camera pans over top of a small boat launching area where a desperate fight for survival can be seen below.
[[ Cut to the frantic action. ]]

******

Collar and Moonchild,
The Aberrant is peppered with shot and blight splatters in all directions off of it. The corpses and casualties that make up its form roll away and around within it.

Collar you can’t be sure how much Moonchild is aware of what’s happening but there’s no appreciable effect besides drawing the thing’s attention.

The Aberrant doesn’t so much turn as it just surges from Kennel in your direction.

The eeriest part besides just the way this thing looks is that it makes no noise. There’s a scrabble of hooves and the thump of bodies slamming into the ground as it pulls itself where it needs to go but despite that and all of its faces and mouths it itself makes no noise.

Well, besides the screaming ‘drowning’ corpse flailing some twenty to thirty feet in the air that is just now crashing down towards Moonchild...

Kennel,
You feel the massive presence move away from you and for a moment you feel safe to breathe. You didn’t even realize you were holding your breath until now.

Collar and Moonchild are blocked by the Aberrant’s form and you can’t see them. You can see the biting faces and cloudy eyes dotting the aberrant’s form staring at you though.
You can see the long stalk with the flailing girl in the air too, see it as it comes slamming down to the ground on the opposite side of it. See as the blight quickly envelopes her creating some sort of shield to protect its precious lure...

Whisper,
You see all of the above but you have a task at hand and are the only one not harried by danger.

OOC: You guys are up! Remember that all Rolls made against this thing to attack or dodge have the Red die modded by +2.
Good luck!
  • Whisper has a fully recharged Rifle.
  • Collar is 2 Shambles away.
  • Kennel is now 4 Shambles away with an arrow ready to be fired.
  • Moonchild can choose to dodge with an Athletics check. Remember that even though you have 1 Rations charge which will be needed to buy the roll you can immediately refresh that and keep spending. If you fail the roll you’ll take the Natural Black +8 to the Red Hit Location. While you don’t need to worry about infection on a failed Athletics you will need to make a Resistance check to avoid being absorbed into the thing. Alternatively you could choose *not* to dodge to be able to make a Called Shot or go full offense again. You would still need to make the Resistance test though. Who knows maybe you’ll get hit in the torso and be able to use the Kevlar vest!
 
Last edited:

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Collar

OOC: Called Shot at whatever looks vulnerable; the place that Whisper hit if Collar can see it. Shoot +1, +2 Deadeye Hack = 8/11 [5; 9]. Nope. Charges marked.


Collar raises his pistol and activates the targeting program on his Ubiq specs, but can't seem to hold his hands steady enough to make either worthwhile.
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Whisper

Whisper looks for something else on this thing that looks like an actual head, and not just a lure. Then she sights on it and tries to pop it.

Spoiler: Show
I'm unsure if you need an Awareness check, and if so, if she can also attack in this round. I'm rolling for both to expedite things, but please adjudicate as needed.

Awareness +3: 1d10 4 1d10 7: Looks a failure, if Awareness is required.
Shoot +3, +2 with Deadeyes Hack / Called Shot +2 to Red: 1d10 1 1d10 5: 6/7 is also a Failure on the head shot. Charges on rifle and Ubiq specs marked.

If she has to do an Awareness and can't also Shoot, I'll use this roll for her Shooting next round.
 

IronMongoose

Registered User
Validated User
OOC: Athletics: 1d10+2 4 1d10 9

That's a natural 2 to the torso! Gonna spend 1 charge to convert those to stun damage, then use my tactic to spend a refresh and reload my shotgun.


Moonchild had head of the term 'hit like a ton of bricks' before, but he had never really experienced it quite so viscerally before. When one of the Rat King's gruesome appendages smacked into him as he tried to leap aside all of the wind was knocked out of his chest and he was slammed on his back, skidding along the ground.

"Ow", he wheezed as soon as he got his breath back. He reached around and managed to grab his shotgun, shoving fresh slugs into it as fast as he could before it could come for him again.
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
Moonchild is smashed to the ground. Reaching for his shotgun he can feel the inky tendrils of blight wrapping themselves around his leg.
He needs to get free or this thing will pull him into itself!

OOC: MC is going to take 10 Stun to the torso at the cost of 1 charge off the vest. Since MC was Hit he needs to make a Resistance check (spend a ration to buy a roll and each one after adds +1). If you fail then the Aberrant yanks you into itself where you take damage each round until you can break free (by succeeding on a Resistance check).

Reloading is a Task action, it requires both your Tactic and Twitch. Since the Twitch was used to dodge you can’t Refresh your shotgun this round.
Since we’re still pretty new to combat like this and I’m a softy, you can manage to get some shells in but it’s ugly, frantic, and desperate because you’re ya know being nearly pulled into a pile of Casualties formed up into a monstrous pile of blight.
If you choose to refresh in this way you’re only going to be able to refresh your shotgun half of 1d10.
You have 2 Refresh remaining and you’re also out of Rations.

Alternatively you could pull the machete and start hacking away. You can make standard melee attacks and also Called Shots with that as well (Called Shots still require both your Tactic and Twitch however so no CS this round).

The action economy sucks and it’s meant to. I’m truly rooting for you!
 
Last edited:

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Collar

OOC: Called Shot again. Hopefully if we can manage to hit it we can help take some of the pressure off of Moonchild. Shoot +1, +2 Deadeye vs. Red +2 = 8/6 [5;4] is a hit. Collar's handgun is Automatic, so he'll empty the magazine into the thing for an extra 3 damage.


Collar steadies himself with a prayer to St. Michael, puts the targeting indicator on his Ubiq specs on a part of the creature that looks less sturdy than the rest, and pulls the trigger on his pistol until the slide locks back.
 

IronMongoose

Registered User
Validated User
OOC: Defaulting on that resistance roll:

Resistance: 1d10 7 1d10 8

Nope! Making a called shot as he gets dragged in, if possible:

Shoot: 1d10+2 3 1d10+2 5

Also nope!


As he is dragged in, Moonchild manages to load the last slug back into his gun before turning it towards the Aberrant.

"Go to Hell, you freaky motherfucker!" He screams as his shot misses wildly, his aim put off by the way it was yanking him in along the ground.
 
Top Bottom